Newer CB1100

Chris Goldson_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I currently own a mint 3 year old CB with just 900 miles on the clock.

Have seen a 2018 with even less miles so a bit tempted but reluctant really to sell the one I have,

Any thoughts as to whether the newer model is that much better to justify the change?


Would welcome views particularly from anyone who has taken a similar route


Best Wishes



Chris
 
Assuming we're talking about US models, the most significant mechanical change is between the 2013's five-speed trans and the subsequent models. Aside from that, I think they are similar enough that it's just a matter what looks good to you - big tank, dual exhaust, wire wheels, etc.
 
Thread starter
Mine has the spoked wheels and twin exhaust (2015)

Just wondered what if any are the benefits for upgrading to 2018

Best wishes


Chris
 
You've barely run in the motor...put some miles on the one you have and enjoy it.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
You've barely run in the motor...put some miles on the one you have and enjoy it.
Each version of the CB is an enjoyable one.
Mine is a 2013 model, has run over 47.000km and is a joy to ride. As long as it functions well and is reliable I will keep it for many more miles to come not being interested in the changes Honda has made with the following CBs.

But it's all a matter of preferences and the wish and ability to burn or let's call it to spend some money not getting something really or essentially different from that what you already have because Honda didn't invented the wheel new afterwards. They only tried to push the CB sells a bit or, if not that, I assume they've not been very successful, paid tribute to their engineer's pride and restless imagination for the sake of changes......

Wisedrum
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Chris, you’re in the UK, right? That means your 2015 is like the US 2014 with spoked wheels.

There’s some information here, 2017 CB1100's ...addition to our History Section. Please do not post to it. You could also try searching the general discussion area of the forum. For example, 2017 CB1100 Revealed

New look tank, slipper clutch, improved front forks, new exhaust seem to be the main features. Unless the one you’re looking at is an RS.
Many thanks yes in the UK.
 
Unless you're really enamoured of the new bike, I can't think why you'd do it.
 
Hey Chris,

There's very little to be gained from the move I think. Considering how much the move would cost, you might be better off just fitting the new Showa Duel Being Valve forks to you existing bike. Then I can see almost no difference between the bikes.

Is there anything about your current bike you'd like to improve on?
 
Thread starter
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
Hey Chris,

There's very little to be gained from the move I think. Considering how much the move would cost, you might be better off just fitting the new Showa Duel Being Valve forks to you existing bike. Then I can see almost no difference between the bikes.

Is there anything about your current bike you'd like to improve on?
I guess if I am being really picky I like the stainless spokes on the new one and the different arrangement with mountings under the rear seat

Mine has the rather ugly silver arms where the indicators sit (don’t know what you call them) and notice they are dispensed with on the new ones. If I could get some polished alloy ones to replace my own would make an improvement on looks
 
I'm with you there, one of the first things I did was to dump the strangely grey handles under the seat. Samurider.com has some nice grab handles available to buy. Or just ditch them.

You can get your rims re-spoked also, for not too much cash.

If you were going to get a good trade on your old one then I'd say why not. But, the price I see secondhand CB's going for I think you'd be better off keeping it. You'll have to do the sums I guess...
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
I simply removed those pieces you are speaking about and threw them out.

I also put the 17 forks on my 14- great improvement.
so take too the rear suspensions from the 17..then its realy perfect
 
900 miles in what I assume has been over 2 years based on your join date is not very much at all. To trade for a bike with less miles and little else different is foreign to me. If there was something about the new bike that was must have like Dual Exhaust, or gear indicator, ohlins or 17" wheels I'd say go for it. I thought about what it would cost me to buy the 2018 RS now that it's in Canada to get the suspension and 17" wheels and it doesn't seem worthwhile to me. I'm likely going to roll over 50,000 KM before the end of this riding season and the CB still rides like new. I'll ride the CB until the cost of a new bike makes more sense than repairing the CB, or I've ridden it so long I need to shake it up.
 
Back
Top