memphismike_imp
Running like a top
Thread starter
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
The ferret_imp said:Wow, I'm glad no one records my ponderings as I ride around Lol
Just kidding Mike, that's pretty cool. Your set up is so quiet, you can't hear the bike or the wind, just your crystal clear voice. That's amazing. It does give you a southern accent though.
Ok, what is a Vlog? Or is that supposed to say blog?
ride4now_imp said:Hello Mike... to answer your question, I did give up riding when we started a family because I was the sole bread winner and we didn't have any money for a 'toy'. When I finally was able to afford to get back into riding, I elected not to out of respect and love for my wife who was too afraid that something bad would happen and she'd be left to raise 3 kids without me. But when the kids got older and the money came easier, I jumped back in and haven't regretted my decision. I don't worry about the risk much any more although I agree that we're clearly more at risk than those in a car. I don't like sitting at a stop light (afraid of some nut coming up from the rear), I don't like riding on i285 around Atlanta, I don't like riding in the rain, I don't like riding on a forest service road alone on my KLR, and I'm especially afraid of Walmart parking lots. But other than that... I love riding and look forward to it every chance I get! I enjoyed your video.


Cormanus_imp said:G'day Mike ... before I answer your question, how can I be sure you aren't Elvis?
Like ride4now I gave up riding for a bit. In my case it was after I recovered from an accident and realised I had lost my nerve to the point that I was no longer enjoying riding. Some years later, when my children were small, money was very scarce and we needed a second vehicle, I took it up again so as my then wife could have our one car. Same thing happened after a couple of years—I got more and more convinced some idiot was going to knock me off, that I gave it up.
I rode very occasionally over the years until nearly 6 years ago when I decided I really wanted another bike. I bought one and haven't looked back. I love it. I know it's risky; but, frankly, I don't regard myself as brave doing it. Nor would I not want to do it, at least for the time being.
Rocky_imp said:Loved the video![]()
I am rarely asked that question about risk or being brave and don't bother to try and explain why I ride, but it comes up once in a great while. I'm polite about it and usually just say I try to be careful, etc., etc.
For a small province (947 thousand) we have a huge per capita volume of motorcycles here and on fine weekends (and daily) the streets and roads are alive with motorcycles.
When I returned to motorcycles in 1992 after a 34 year layoff, I thought about the risk constantly. I wasn't really afraid, just not comfortable being so exposed.
It took me the greater part of that summer to calm down and just let my instincts and the things I learned in the MSF course to be my guide.
Now, almost 24 years later I ride very comfortably, but am not complacent about it. My "sensors" are always on and have become second nature and instinctive for surviving in traffic.
That said, we don't have the great volumes of traffic here like in the big cities like Montreal, Atlanta, LA, Sydney, Melbourne, etc., but we have our share of stupid drivers to watch out for.
Risky? Of course it is, but at age 78+ there will be no watching "I love Lucy" for me![]()