New Tires?

Billie_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I bought a 2014 CB 1100 last spring and am really liking it a lot.
Bike now has just under 4,000 mi on it, with the original tires. Tires are the Bridgestone Battflax, tires still look good and have good tread on them but they are 6-7 years old. So my question is should I could I run em awhile yet or swap em out? I'm leaning more towards putting new tires on it, for the peace of mind.
 
Thread starter
Heres another question, how many miles are you getting on a set of these Bridgestones? Anyone like something better?
 
If I get 4K out of my new Bridgestones (front in particular), I'll be happy! I really like them, but the front is already showing shoulder wear with well under 1K miles.
 
On my first '13 CB, I got about 15-18000 kms/front and ditched the rear one at the same time with plenty of thread left for a new PR3 set
No commuting, no city/traffic ridden, shortest distance is 70 kms, lots of long trips.

When I bought my '14 CB used with 17K kms, the front was bold.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
On my first '13 CB, I got about 15-18000 kms/front and ditched the rear one at the same time with plenty of thread left for a new PR3 set
No commuting, no city/traffic ridden, shortest distance is 70 kms, lots of long trips.

When I bought my '14 CB used with 17K kms, the front was bold.
I concur with PB. My Bridgestone Battlax BT-54s had about 12K on them and could have easily gone to 18K kms. This was mixed riding and would say half highway. Lots of tread, no cracks, but I suspect the rubber was hardening as it also precipitated oily ooze from time-to-time.
 
Billie_imp said:
I bought a 2014 CB 1100 last spring and am really liking it a lot.
Bike now has just under 4,000 mi on it, with the original tires. Tires are the Bridgestone Battflax, tires still look good and have good tread on them but they are 6-7 years old. So my question is should I could I run em awhile yet or swap em out? I'm leaning more towards putting new tires on it, for the peace of mind.
last year I did 2,000 miles on my 11 year old tyres which still had plenty of tread and that was on a bike with 147HP. I didn't feel I was taking a risk and they were in excellent condition. Once winter approached I decided to ditch them though, no point in pushing your luck. I would be tempted to use them as long as they are not drying out or have signs of cracks.
 
Billie, for reference, I ran the original Bridgestones on my '13 with a seven year old date code. They still had plenty of wear, but once I started seeing little cracks in the treads I switched them out. The bike rode and handled a lot nicer after that, and I stopped worrying.
 
Thread starter
Yeh, Come spring will look them over good and make a decision. If I was just put putting around they would be fine, but that's not the case.
 
Billie_imp said:
I bought a 2014 CB 1100 last spring and am really liking it a lot.
Bike now has just under 4,000 mi on it, with the original tires. Tires are the Bridgestone Battflax, tires still look good and have good tread on them but they are 6-7 years old. So my question is should I could I run em awhile yet or swap em out? I'm leaning more towards putting new tires on it, for the peace of mind.
I have the same bike. I replaced my front tire at 4K and my rear at 6K with new stock tires. I was also worried about age more than mileage. I'm very happy with the feel and handling with the stockers. Next time I will try a Battle axe front without the center groove.
 
jimgl3_imp said:
a new tire thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shinko!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Finally, a REAL tire worthy of discussion...doing they work for the CB1100?

asking for a friend
 
jimgl3_imp said:
a new tire thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shinko!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Better than an old tyre thread.
 
My NTM '13 CB had a little over 7k mi when I bought it, about a year ago. It has a tad over 14k now, and the tires are on their last breath. I'm thinking of Shinkos.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
jimgl3_imp said:
a new tire thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shinko!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Better than an old tyre thread.
Better than an old tyre thread.
Well it is a thread about whether to replace some old tires, so it is kinda of an old tire thread:thumbsup:
 
Tread carefully, Mr Houtman.
 
Back
Top