New tires needed

domenaxe_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi guys,

I am nearing the end of my stock tire life (10'500km done so far) and now need some new tires soon. I would appreciate if the experience riders on the forum can either provide me your advice on favorite tires or direct me to the most helpful threads as I am sure this topic has been discussed already. I am looking for tires that would fit my brat style cb1100. Thx for feedback.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
You'll get some good suggestions! And if you use the forum search you'll find a lot of threads. A number of members are using the Pilot Road 3 tires and like them. But there are others.

Good luck with your search. I replaced mine with the stock Dunlops so I don't have much to offer.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
You'll get some good suggestions! And if you use the forum search you'll find a lot of threads. A number of members are using the Pilot Road 3 tires and like them. But there are others.

Good luck with your search. I replaced mine with the stock Dunlops so I don't have much to offer.

Thx for the feedback. I came across pilot road 3s too. Nice tires. We'll see what other suggestions pop up.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Are you currently on the originals? Bridgestone or Dunlop? How'd they work for you? What's most important to you in your new hides? If looking beyond original equipment, are you comfortable changing tire sizes? If so, search the forum for Michelin PR3, Pirelli Angel GT, and Continental for a good bunch of info and opinions. The options we have are not many, because 18", but they're pretty good.
 
I just recently put on some Metzeler Roadtec Z8, and am very happy with this choice. As opposed to the Michelins, you can get these in the standard CB1100 sizes with a 140 rear.
 
Thread starter
Rolls_imp said:
Are you currently on the originals? Bridgestone or Dunlop? How'd they work for you? What's most important to you in your new hides? If looking beyond original equipment, are you comfortable changing tire sizes? If so, search the forum for Michelin PR3, Pirelli Angel GT, and Continental for a good bunch of info and opinions. The options we have are not many, because 18", but they're pretty good.

Yes I have the Bridgestone originals. They did alright I guess. First time bike owner so don't have much to compare with. Am open to changing tire size however what will be the difference?! Sorry for the for basic questions but I am new to this. Thx for the feedback.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
No apology needed! The original tires on these bikes were chosen after a good deal of consideration by the engineers who designed our bikes. While they're not the only choice, they are definitely a good choice. I'd say if you're happy with the OEM tires, consider staying with them.
 
Taking advice from many other members here, I chose the Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires when needing replacements. I have no regrets and didn't even notice the change in tire width on the rear. They handle great!
 
Henrik_imp said:
I just recently put on some Metzeler Roadtec Z8, and am very happy with this choice. As opposed to the Michelins, you can get these in the standard CB1100 sizes with a 140 rear.
I also have these tires, Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact. I got them because I didn't want to change the handling, which a bigger, taller tire will do. I got non-stock size tires for my '99 Nighthawk 750 years ago, and I ended up with a bike that would fall into turns with very little input at the bars, where it had neutral handling before. :(
Choose wisely, "Grasshopper!" :D
 
I had Dunlop stock. When the tires needed replacement I searched for the Dunlop and couldn't find any. I'm glad I didn't do them again. They wore fairly quickly. I went with the Bridgestone. I like the tread pattern better and the grooves seem much deeper. They look like they will last longer and they were the best price I could find. Tire threads are like oil threads, everyone will have a different opinion. Just read reviews and see what you like. Shop around on line, lots of different sites with different prices. Jake Wilson, chaparral motorsports, motorcycle superstore, rocky Mountain atv and many more have good sales with free shipping. Generally speaking most tires out there will out perform the rider's abilities so you can't really go wrong. Some tires are softer, some are harder, some more sporty, some more for touring so pick towards your riding style.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
mininsx_imp said:
Henrik_imp said:
I just recently put on some Metzeler Roadtec Z8, and am very happy with this choice. As opposed to the Michelins, you can get these in the standard CB1100 sizes with a 140 rear.
I also have these tires, Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact. I got them because I didn't want to change the handling, which a bigger, taller tire will do. I got non-stock size tires for my '99 Nighthawk 750 years ago, and I ended up with a bike that would fall into turns with very little input at the bars, where it had neutral handling before. :(
Choose wisely, "Grasshopper!" :D
I also have these tires, Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact. I got them because I didn't want to change the handling, which a bigger, taller tire will do. I got non-stock size tires for my '99 Nighthawk 750 years ago, and I ended up with a bike that would fall into turns with very little input at the bars, where it had neutral handling before. :(
Choose wisely, "Grasshopper!" :D
Unless you are a test rider for a Moto GP team, you'll never detect a difference in the minimal tire size change on the rear of your CB1100.
 
TINK_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
Henrik_imp said:
I just recently put on some Metzeler Roadtec Z8, and am very happy with this choice. As opposed to the Michelins, you can get these in the standard CB1100 sizes with a 140 rear.
I also have these tires, Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact. I got them because I didn't want to change the handling, which a bigger, taller tire will do. I got non-stock size tires for my '99 Nighthawk 750 years ago, and I ended up with a bike that would fall into turns with very little input at the bars, where it had neutral handling before. :(
Choose wisely, "Grasshopper!" :D
I also have these tires, Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact. I got them because I didn't want to change the handling, which a bigger, taller tire will do. I got non-stock size tires for my '99 Nighthawk 750 years ago, and I ended up with a bike that would fall into turns with very little input at the bars, where it had neutral handling before. :(
Choose wisely, "Grasshopper!" :D
Unless you are a test rider for a Moto GP team, you'll never detect a difference in the minimal tire size change on the rear of your CB1100.
I also have these tires, Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact. I got them because I didn't want to change the handling, which a bigger, taller tire will do. I got non-stock size tires for my '99 Nighthawk 750 years ago, and I ended up with a bike that would fall into turns with very little input at the bars, where it had neutral handling before. :(
Choose wisely, "Grasshopper!" :D
Unless you are a test rider for a Moto GP team, you'll never detect a difference in the minimal tire size change on the rear of your CB1100.
Uh...thanks...I think? :D
 
Pirelli Sport Demons come in the stock size. I've only seen them so have no idea what they're like.
 
The Sport Demons are a nice tire but they're bias-ply, not radials. I tried a set on my V7 Classic and really liked them, but they only lasted about 4000 miles.
 
aschem_imp said:
my next rear will probably be: 150/65-18 Road Attack 2 -
Continental Tires 202-1487 150/65-18 Road Attack 2 Classic Race Tire
Really good prices. Phenomenally good tire, really wears well and I don't get 10K from a set of tires, usually about 3K. I can run these at max pressure, 36/42, with excellent grip and handling.

Speaking on this point, I am beginning to get very interested in the CB1100RS for a lot of reasons, mainly because the suspension and wheels are upgraded in terms of performance. One could run any kind of tire available on that bike; I like the Dunlop Q3s on the track and street for sport riding, and these would fit. Same sizes as the GSX-R 750. I can well imagine how much fun the RS would be with that kind of grip and good suspension.
 
Ulve..maybe you can give your opinion on this. Obviously not all forks and shocks have the same level of performance even though they "look like" they would. In other words, not all forks whether conventional, or male slider perform the same, True? The same goes for remote reservoir shocks. They are not all created equal. Some are better than others. Also true?

Are we to assume that the Showa Dual Bending Valve fork of the new RS is going to be vastly superior compared to current forks. Or will they be slightly better? How about compared to current forks with Race Tech internals? Will they be designed for the same limited rider weight range? Will they be compliant or taut or adjustable in between? How adjustable? Will they require after market asistance if you are over 200#'s? or under 150 #'s?

Also are the "Twin Showa remote-reservoir rear shocks (with damping rates to match the front fork)" going to be the equal to top of the line Ikons or Ohlins?, or even much superior to the conventional shocks we have now? Again, compliant? Taut? How much adjustability for rider weight?

Honda obviously builds to a price point or we would have better suspenders on our current rides. These new suspenders may look great, but only preform moderately better than the current stuff, and not as good as modified current stuff, correct?

We are assuming by looking at pictures of fancy gold colored pieces that they are going to be vastly superior, but are they?

a quote from a aftermarket shock mfg "suspension budget is minimal from manufacturers so performance and quality is reduced and in return the handling and comfort from the suspension is poor due to materials used, design of the system and also tolerances."

is the rider of an RS still going to have to buy after market kit in order to realize the handling potential of the RS? If so, the new stuff may not be an upgrade at all, just window dressing meant to entice buyers.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ulve..maybe you can give your opinion on this. Obviously not all forks and shocks have the same level of performance even though they "look like" they would. In other words, not all forks whether conventional, or male slider perform the same, True? The same goes for remote reservoir shocks. They are not all created equal. Some are better than others. Also true?

Are we to assume that the Showa Dual Bending Valve fork of the new RS is going to be vastly superior compared to current forks. Or will they be slightly better? How about compared to current forks with Race Tech internals? Will they be designed for the same limited rider weight range? Will they be compliant or taut or adjustable in between? How adjustable? Will they require after market asistance if you are over 200#'s? or under 150 #'s?

Also are the "Twin Showa remote-reservoir rear shocks (with damping rates to match the front fork)" going to be the equal to top of the line Ikons or Ohlins?, or even much superior to the conventional shocks we have now? Again, compliant? Taut? How much adjustability for rider weight?

Honda obviously builds to a price point or we would have better suspenders on our current rides. These new suspenders may look great, but only preform moderately better than the current stuff, and not as good as modified current stuff, correct?

We are assuming by looking at pictures of fancy gold colored pieces that they are going to be vastly superior, but are they?

a quote from a aftermarket shock mfg "suspension budget is minimal from manufacturers so performance and quality is reduced and in return the handling and comfort from the suspension is poor due to materials used, design of the system and also tolerances."

is the rider of an RS still going to have to buy after market kit in order to realize the handling potential of the RS? If so, the new stuff may not be an upgrade at all, just window dressing meant to entice buyers.
The answer is yes. Very few bikes come with truly good suspension. We have to get into a pretty high price range to reach that point and the CB1100RS is not likely to be in that area. The serious sporting rider will need to spend some money on suspension, just like with the current model. But he or she will be starting with a far better platform in many respects.

The current forks are actually very good as are the brakes. On my 2013, I've only changed the oil to 15W, and carefully adjusted the preload to match the Ikon shocks. The Ikons were a huge improvement. I mentioned before that the current bike has some attributes, like the light handling and taller, narrower wheels, that will make it a better sporting standard. The greatly expanded choice of rubber along with the other changes on the RS really do make it a "sport heritage" offering. I do wonder about decreased cornering clearance, though, because of the 17" wheels. But the CB1100 in any version is never going to have much cornering clearance, it's more about the handling and confidence from the modern tire sizes.

The lack of any damping adjustment on the shocks suggests they'll need to be replaced, or at least resprung and revalved, for any serious improvements beyond the stock performance.

The swingarm design will have a lot of effect on how the rear end works and hopefully the shocks have been tuned to work with the new swingarm.

Anyone really serious about taking the RS to a higher level of performance for braking and cornering, and chassis handling, is going to need new shocks with multi-rate springs that match the rider's weight and riding style, as a minimum.

I have no issue with the power; Honda have reportedly tuned the engine for increased low/midrange and I like mine the way it is now, so the improvements are welcome but not really necessary.

It's said that the smaller diameter wheels provide 3% more acceleration due to the lower gearing, making the bike snappier all around. That sounds like something I would appreciate.

The slipper clutch is definitely an upgrade for anyone wanting to trade in his or her current model. Smooth shifting is always best but the new clutch apparently has lighter effort, too, so it's an overall ergonomic and functional improvement.

The reasons I personally am seriously considering picking up an RS come down to the chassis, wheels, and tires. The aluminum swingarm, 17" wheels in 750-class supersport sizes, quicker rake/trail, and shorter wheelbase are all significant mechanical improvements and provide a much better platform upon which to start personal modifications. The wheels and tires alone should provide a much more compliant ride, with potentially huge improvements in grip if fitted with good sporting rubber like the Dunlop Q3s or similar.

My bike has a five-speed transmission; the six-speed on top of all the other changes is an enticement to upgrade, too.

We'll know more when they show up on the street but, since I really, really like the CB1100 I have now, this RS is the logical next step.
 
Hi Domenaxe,

I've just scrubbed in a pair of Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs. They are great. Massive improvement over stock. They come in Std. sizes as well. They are brand new and just become available in Europe, but I'm not sure if they are available in the States yet. That's why you probably won't hear much said about them on the forum.

If you have trouble finding a pair then look on my post about them. There is a link to a good company who sources tyres from across Europe and will deliver to you. The UK was only holding a couple of rears and no fronts for a month or so. Got mine sent direct from Spain and for little to no extra cost.

I'd stick with the Std sizes. There are different opinions on how much difference it makes. I think it's down to the bikes weight, CoG, steering geometry.... etc. I had an RD350LC and fitted wider tyres and it was harder to turn on the streets. On track I may have enjoyed the extra width but it didn't do me any favours on the street. Other bikes you don't notice the difference so much. But seeing as you can get the std. sizes, why not. Great tyres, recommended.
 
Back
Top