New tires feel so good.

odelegacy_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I followed advice of other members and bought Pirelli Angel GTs in 160/60 and 120/70. All I can say is I wish I would have done it sooner. Not only do they look great, but they feel amazing. Could just be the new tires in general, but I definitely feel like the tires grab better than my Dunlop’s ever did.
 
I think you will be more than happy with those tires. I love my GTs although I have a 110 on the front. I do like having the 160 on the rear.

I hated the OEM Dunlops. Hated both sets I ran.

Note: Not ragging on Dunlop. Other models might be great, but the stock OEM Dunlops were just not for me.
 
Thread starter
Kdogg2077_imp said:
What year do you have? I just bought a 13 and I’m a bit worried about tire selection.
It’s a 2014. Definitely recommend these tires and size.
And they look good!
 
Thread starter
34fa4de1f119dc0a41df816bc3132981.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I was ok with the stock Dunlops but the switch to Michelins was a marked improvement. Now the switch to Pirellis has been mostly a parallel move from the Michelins. I'm happy enough with my Angel GT's that I have another pair for when this pair wears out. Won't be long. I'm just about at 7500 miles on them. They might make 8K.
 
I was happy with my Avons in general, but I wanted to try this 120/160 setup so I ordered a pair of Metzeler Roadtec Z8 tires, mostly because they were the only ones I could find in the dimensions in question, they won't arrive for another month, but has anyone tried them on?

And before you tell me anything about why these and not those, you have to understand that for whatever reason, it is very difficult here to find tires in sizes that are no mainstream, literally we have two companies that import tires, and the market is very small so they don't get any privileges

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
tod.branko_imp said:
I was happy with my Avons in general, but I wanted to try this 120/160 setup so I ordered a pair of Metzeler Roadtec Z8 tires, mostly because they were the only ones I could find in the dimensions in question, they won't arrive for another month, but has anyone tried them on?

And before you tell me anything about why these and not those, you have to understand that for whatever reason, it is very difficult here to find tires in sizes that are no mainstream, literally we have two companies that import tires, and the market is very small so they don't get any privileges

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Interesting.. I bought my bike with Metzler Z8s . The tires were already partially cupped.. Within another 500 miles the cupping in front was so severe it started a wobble.. I replaced them with Avon AM46s.. Great tire.
 
Rox_imp said:
tod.branko_imp said:
I was happy with my Avons in general, but I wanted to try this 120/160 setup so I ordered a pair of Metzeler Roadtec Z8 tires, mostly because they were the only ones I could find in the dimensions in question, they won't arrive for another month, but has anyone tried them on?

And before you tell me anything about why these and not those, you have to understand that for whatever reason, it is very difficult here to find tires in sizes that are no mainstream, literally we have two companies that import tires, and the market is very small so they don't get any privileges

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Interesting.. I bought my bike with Metzler Z8s . The tires were already partially cupped.. Within another 500 miles the cupping in front was so severe it started a wobble.. I replaced them with Avon AM46s.. Great tire.
Interesting.. I bought my bike with Metzler Z8s . The tires were already partially cupped.. Within another 500 miles the cupping in front was so severe it started a wobble.. I replaced them with Avon AM46s.. Great tire. Wow! Seriously?? I have literally never ever experienced cupping on any tire on any bike I owned, and now that you mentioned it I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen it at all. Thank you for the heads-up, it will be a good opportunity for research. Does it normally happen to you with tires, or you think it's the specific pair on your bike? Perhaps it has to do with asphalt quality around where the bike was ridden before, and the riding style of the previous owner.
I would like to know what can I do to prevent it if the Z8's are inherently prone to that kind of wear

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
odelegacy_imp said:
I followed advice of other members and bought Pirelli Angel GTs in 160/60 and 120/70. All I can say is I wish I would have done it sooner. Not only do they look great, but they feel amazing. Could just be the new tires in general, but I definitely feel like the tires grab better than my Dunlop’s ever did.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your GT's and what did you pay for the set?

I've been running this exact setup for over a year, and was concerned that it would be my first and last due to discontinued production and limited inventory. Glad to hear they're still shipping, might get me a set of spares. Great tire indeed
 
Having used the Metzeler Z8 quite a bit now, being on my second pair, I have only had a good experience. I like how they handle and grip, I like the round profile and there has been no issue with the wear and absolutely no cupping.

I am wondering why there are a number of riders that have had issues with them though. Could it be that there is some inconsistency with their production? Perhaps it has to do with how we ride as well as rider weight. For me, I am not too heavy at 73kg, and my riding is quite enthusiastic with very little straight line (highway etc.) riding. The result has been uniform wear and no squaring or cupping of the tire.
 
Have M-Z8 in OEM size since May... was not so happy for the first 1000 kms due to tar snake sensitivity.. but now, I have no complaints, so far so good.
Haven't tested during rain yet.
 
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
odelegacy_imp said:
I followed advice of other members and bought Pirelli Angel GTs in 160/60 and 120/70. All I can say is I wish I would have done it sooner. Not only do they look great, but they feel amazing. Could just be the new tires in general, but I definitely feel like the tires grab better than my Dunlop’s ever did.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your GT's and what did you pay for the set?

I've been running this exact setup for over a year, and was concerned that it would be my first and last due to discontinued production and limited inventory. Glad to hear they're still shipping, might get me a set of spares. Great tire indeed
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your GT's and what did you pay for the set?

I've been running this exact setup for over a year, and was concerned that it would be my first and last due to discontinued production and limited inventory. Glad to hear they're still shipping, might get me a set of spares. Great tire indeed
E11, here is where I got a set last month: Pirelli Angel GT Tires - RevZilla
 
Just to add one thing, around here (Switzerland) the Z8s were the standard mount on the BMW R9T as well. I have a couple of friends with those, and they have been happy with them too. Having tried myself the R9T on several occasions with the Z8s, I found them to be nice and grippy as well on that bike.

Oh, and I got them in the standard size for the CB1100 i.e. a 140 rear. Can't say what a 160 will be like,
 
Kuba, not on spoked wheels but '13 & 14 mags, excellent handling while riding.
What tires are you thinking of?
 
Back
Top