New tire day.

Randy B

Road warrior
Thread starter
I finally decided that it was time to retire the original rear tire. I probably could have gone further on it, but I'm not one to push my tires to totally bald any more, and NEVER on a motorcycle.

8dbbd5a53b132f7e53c66e53d108022d.jpg


0c6f7ff338325dbdbb57d537a52a8b85.jpg


75583fbe4fd6e2584700613e335a5ab3.jpg

And the new one.

8be80fd4b080326963ee7dbc3102ac52.jpg


I also made another modification while I had the rear wheel off. :D

4101b8b734930fbd447b41930d41ad54.jpg


c53b0fc804dc3acec594fe124abddd78.jpg


8747673875f12e3104d408d8855eed5b.jpg


4fdd153e57e89b572fa7dfab9010a99d.jpg


12f48fe085689eea28be2c5a9d7e680f.jpg


a97179d008a6f723e4db912863aaf646.jpg


And while I was at it I checked for the rusting that others have complained about under the rear fender.

66ca2e2752ec867210c0cae56637f7ae.jpg


Looks good to me.

This was my day, and I didn't get to go riding because I had other household chores that were begging for my attention....like swapping out the front door knob and deadbolt.....ugh. I killed 3 screwdrivers, a pair of vise grips (to turn the screwdrivers) and tore up both of my hands, but I got it done.

Tomorrow maybe. ;)
 
Just changed my front tire at 7,800 miles. It was down to where the center grove was just barely visible. It's good to hear that the rear lasts so much longer. I doubt I'll get the same mileage as you because I ride a lot of back roads that are tar and chip. That seems to eat up tires faster than nice smooth asphalt.
 
Wow Randy almost 15,000 incredible! Rear footpeg brackets look good in black. No visible rust under fender. You are living right my man :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Wow Randy almost 15,000 incredible! Rear footpeg brackets look good in black. No visible rust under fender. You are living right my man :thumbsup:
Randy B_imp said:
I finally decided that it was time to retire the original rear tire. I probably could have gone further on it, but I'm not one to push my tires to totally bald any more, and NEVER on a motorcycle.

8dbbd5a53b132f7e53c66e53d108022d.jpg


0c6f7ff338325dbdbb57d537a52a8b85.jpg


75583fbe4fd6e2584700613e335a5ab3.jpg

And the new one.

8be80fd4b080326963ee7dbc3102ac52.jpg


I also made another modification while I had the rear wheel off. :D

4101b8b734930fbd447b41930d41ad54.jpg


c53b0fc804dc3acec594fe124abddd78.jpg


8747673875f12e3104d408d8855eed5b.jpg


4fdd153e57e89b572fa7dfab9010a99d.jpg


12f48fe085689eea28be2c5a9d7e680f.jpg


a97179d008a6f723e4db912863aaf646.jpg


And while I was at it I checked for the rusting that others have complained about under the rear fender.

66ca2e2752ec867210c0cae56637f7ae.jpg


Looks good to me.

This was my day, and I didn't get to go riding because I had other household chores that were begging for my attention....like swapping out the front door knob and deadbolt.....ugh. I killed 3 screwdrivers, a pair of vise grips (to turn the screwdrivers) and tore up both of my hands, but I got it done.

Tomorrow maybe. ;)
Thanks man. Like I said, Ir probably could have gotten more out of it, but i was at the wear indicators and I can't bring myself to go pasted them.

The ferret_imp said:
Wow Randy almost 15,000 incredible! Rear footpeg brackets look good in black. No visible rust under fender. You are living right my man :thumbsup:
I like em!! They look better then I even thought they would. :clap: I took a bit of time because of the way the rear master cylinder is mounted and the brake pedal is held in place with an snap ring and, of course, I didn't have a snap ring tool so I had to run to the store and get some tools (also bought a metric alan socket set) and all was right with the world. :D
 
Thread starter
There is a shop across the street and two blocks down from me. I just took it over and had them mount and balance it for $30.
 
It's been said before but OMG 14,636 miles (~23,000km) from a rear tyre and still not bald! Maybe there's a problem with your throttle ... or just very sensible application of power. Awesome economy there Randy. Those black foot peg brackets work really well on your bike, looking good.
 
Aussieflyer_imp said:
It's been said before but OMG 14,636 miles (~23,000km) from a rear tyre and still not bald! Maybe there's a problem with your throttle ... or just very sensible application of power. Awesome economy there Randy. Those black foot peg brackets work really well on your bike, looking good.

You know who else's bike those would look good on Aussieflyer ? ;)
 
Yeah I think I know whose bike you're talking about. I've decide to get mine powder coated in a satin or matte finish otherwise I would have gone for Ack's gloss units.
 
Thread starter
I have to tell you...I am NOT light on my throttle. Also I'm not all that light either coming it at a robust 260lbs, and then I get dressed. ;)

Honestly I think it is mostly due to all the commuting I did last year. Cruising at 75-80 MPH for 45 minutes is much easier on a tire than stop and go traffic. We shall see how well this one does now that I carpool most of the time. I only have to ride 4 miles each way to my carpools house (8 miles a day) and that's usually in traffic and hitting most of the lights between my place and his.
 
Cruising at 80Mph eh ... in most states of Australia you'd get your licence suspended and a fine that would make full set of new tyres look cheap.
 
Thread starter
If you dont go that fast you'd get run over here.
 
Aussieflyer_imp said:
Cruising at 80Mph eh ... in most states of Australia you'd get your licence suspended and a fine that would make full set of new tyres look cheap.
Here in the Denver area, the speed limit on I-25 is 75mph just outside of town and if you're not doing 80-85, you get run over.
 
On many US Interstate highways the posted speed limit is merely a suggestion. My own experience is that the average speed on Texas roads is highest. A few years back, traveling between Boerne, TX and Kerrville on my Triumph Tiger, I fell in with a trio of cars traveling just under 100 mph. Got to Kerrville real quick.
 
100 Mph, awesome. So if the signage is a suggested limit then how will you know where you stand if stopped by the highway patrol?
Our speed limits are usually very strictly enforced so you know that if you are 10kmh over the limit you will get a speeding fine and if you are 30kmh over the limit you will get you licence suspended. Occasionally our police may give you the benefit of the doubt with a warning however most of the time it's a camera that takes a photo of you and a few weeks later you get a fine in the mail. From what you've told me I like your approach to speed limits more than ours. Anyway whatever the approach is best just to ride safe according to the conditions.
 
Aussieflyer.. Each state, each county ( there are 88 counties in my state) then each municipality ( there are zillions) have their own police force and they all have differences in the leniency they will show you. I have had officers tell me anything more than 15 over will get you pulled over, but our State Highway Patrol has a saying "over nine you're mine" . Then again I got a ticket in the state just south of mine for 30 in a 25 zone. Some show zero leniency and will write 26 in a 25. Ya takes your chances every time you pull the throttle. Some municipalities use speed cameras, but in this state they are being challenged in court, and our State Court system is leaning towards banning them.

Best policy for me is posted speed limit +- 5 mph.
 
Back
Top