New Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Jfro5687_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi all. Just curious as to whether any CB owner has actually ridden/ bought one of the new RE bikes? If so, How does it compare to the CB in riding experience? Did you trade your CB in and if so why?

I was very tempted to get one earlier this year but there's no dealer close enough to me to go and try one out properly. So I decided to wait and let any warranty type issues pop up first. So far dont think there have been any. Unless you know different.

Kind regards Jon
 
I read a very positive review of the 650 REs in Australian Road Rider magazine the other day. Sadly the article is not available on line. This para may interest you:

Quote:No short-term ride can really tell you much about long-term reliability, but certainly we rode these bikes as fast as they would go in ridiculously hot conditions for a couple of days on the launch, stopping and starting for photos and crawling through the urban sprawl to get there and back without a single issue. Then we hung on to one for the best part of two weeks, during which time it had the pants thrashed off it in an attempt to provoke some of its insides to appear on the outside. I lost count of how often I bounced the peachy motor off the rev limiter in search of maximum drive and top speed, and many a time I parked it in my garage stinking of hot oil and clutch plates. Did it fire up on the button every time? Instantly. Did a single drop of oil besmirch my garage floor? No it did not. Did it blow a bulb, pop a fork seal, have a problem finding neutral? Did it once overheat in traffic, the knobs fall off the switchgear, the brakes fade or the electrics have a freak out? Not a bit of it. What it did do was behave like any thoroughly modern, well-sorted and well-built European or Japanese motorcycle and for this money I don’t see how you can argue with that.
 
Most motorcycles ridden my moto journalists are flogged for as long as they have them.

I take the word of the owners group over a moto journailst any day. Want to find out if there are any issues with any model? Go to the owners forum. Owners are not hesitant to report problems both real and imagined as we have seen here on this forum.
 
Motorcycle Consumer News, the subscription-only, no-advertising US magazine did a full road test of the 650 Int (not Interceptor) in their Dec 2018 issue. They are the only ones I know who still does dyno and drag strip testing and records quantitative data. They found it very pleasant and fun, with no real complaints (except that there was no oil temp indicator, which tells me the writers/testers were rookies). I can't show the article here, and there is no online reference.

Anyway, I I had planned to visit a Triumph/Royal Enfield dealer this upcoming Saturday with a couple friends for a test ride if it isn't too hot, so will give a report if I do. I've been looking for a smaller bike and made up with this chart as possible models of interest, with a couple bikes I have for my reference.

 
Hard to believe a 63 hp Suzuki 650 V Strom adventure would take a CB 1100 through the quarter mile even if it does weigh 44 pounds less
 
My wife has had two 650 V-stroms, an '07 and a '12. Both were great bikes, decent power, good handling and reliable, decent fuel mileage up to 65 mpg. My only complaint with both was marginal brakes with little feel and only fair build quality. Switches could be troublesome also.

Her latest ride is an NC700X. Although not as quick as the high revving V-strom, the NC700X is smoother, handles better, more refined, better build quality, brakes that are "light years" better than the Suzuki and fuel mileage near 80 mpg at moderate highway speeds. Better yet we took this left-over 2015 home for $4999 + tax. And that faux tank storage is a big plus.

I want one now to convert into a light touring bike. Needs little but luggage and a larger wind screen.
 
Birds, I've seen a guy running around town with an NC 700x with hard bags and a trunk. Not sure what windshield he has. Nice looking set up.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Hard to believe a 63 hp Suzuki 650 V Strom adventure would take a CB 1100 through the quarter mile even if it does weigh 44 pounds less
Have to agree. The 650 V-Strom is a fine (and ugly) machine that is quite capable of speed, however, never have I seen it over-take similar to and higher than its class. It can handle very cold winter days (-40C with windchill) - no problem operationally.

- - -

Honda NC7xx-class machines are incredibly practical, everyday rides.
 
I was keenly interested in the RE 650 Int when it was introduced but one look at the dealer convinced me otherwise. The bike is bigger than I expected, and heavier. I think the MG V7 is the better choice for that style of motorbike.
 
I spent this past Saturday riding around leisurely on a Guzzi V7R. Very satisfying ride if you don’t need to be the fastest from stoplight to stoplight.
 
Frulk_imp said:
I spent this past Saturday riding around leisurely on a Guzzi V7R. Very satisfying ride if you don’t need to be the fastest from stoplight to stoplight.
Can't argue saddling up with a classic configuration and shhhh-aft drive. I don't think about speed on a V7 ... just the pleasure of the ride.
 
I rode a Guzzi V7 II and agree, very nice on backroads, noticeably lighter feeling than my Triumph, but more comfortable on the freeway in the right lane. Wish it were 10% bigger overall.

The III series is supposed to have more power and a 6-speed, but even the V9, which has 12 more horses and a 6-speed is no faster/quicker in the 1/4 mi.

Now, just for perspective, most mid-late '60's musclecars were barely getting into the 14s in the 1/4 mile (mostly because of tires going up in smoke).
 
English fellow I follow on YouTube just got one. He also picked up a Speed Twin. He loves it. Then a Guzzi buddie on FB just got one. It's a lot of bike for the money, I'm sorely tempted. The trouble is, the boxes it ticks are pretty much the same boxes the CB ticks. Being smaller it's probably a better choice for running to coffee.
 
The local Harley dealer here started carrying the Enfields. I parked my 2014 std CB next to the interceptor and gave the RE the once over. It is a pretty bike, but there is no comparison to the CB. The price was basically the same as what I paid for the CB. Twice the bike for the same price. JMO.
 
TCinNC_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Hard to believe a 63 hp Suzuki 650 V Strom adventure would take a CB 1100 through the quarter mile even if it does weigh 44 pounds less
I’ve owned one, it won’t
I’ve owned one, it won’t
Ditto, the V-strom's we had never felt as quick as my CB.
 
Jfro5687_imp said:
Hi all. Just curious as to whether any CB owner has actually ridden/ bought one of the new RE bikes? If so, How does it compare to the CB in riding experience? Did you trade your CB in and if so why?

I was very tempted to get one earlier this year but there's no dealer close enough to me to go and try one out properly. So I decided to wait and let any warranty type issues pop up first. So far dont think there have been any. Unless you know different.

Kind regards Jon
I went to a nearby dealer to test one 3 weeks ago.
The dealer insisted the mfc was forcing him to charge 300 extra on top of the 5799 sticker price plus the initial dealer check up at 300 miles would cost 300 dollars
I spent another 1000 and got a leftover 2017 Versys 650 LT
I did test drive the RE 650 and it doesn't compare to a CB1100 in anyway except for both having two wheels,a seat, tank a motor and handlebars
 
I did visit the Triumph/Royal Enfield dealer and was offered test rides on several Triumphs and a Royal Enfield 650 Int. I looked closely at the Enfield, didn't love the quality and fit and finish, didn't like the dealer's $499 assembly and $699 freight, and declined to ride it.

My friend rode the new Street Twin and liked it over his 2010 Bonnie, so is contemplating the change. My 2004 Bonnie is dialed in the way I like it, so there wasn't anything better to tempt me.

I looked through my magazine back issues, and added a few more tested models just to fan the flames of V-Strom vs CB1100 elapsed times. I certainly couldn't decide which was quicker by seat of the pants feel, certainly not a tenth of a second or two.


 
I sat down on both the INT and the GT. I found the INT pegs to be bothersome as reported by some reviews online.

Finish wise - unfortunately (and obviously) it’s a bit of a step down from the CB as expected based on price point and target market... but it’s still costs a pretty penny. I guess if you were comparing it to the old street twin the power delivery is similar-ish.

The value-add for me are the out of the box braided steel lines and abs, screw-type valves adjustment, mpgs, twin sound, price point,and vintage 70s vibe. Warranty could belong here but TBH I rather have brand trust and prestige over coverage :/

Con is def the tube tires and unproven quality of build (especially the engine).

I know it’s a ton less powered but I’d rather get an SR400 or TU250x.
 
Back
Top