New Owner Next Week

JustPassinThru_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I'm about to take the plunge on a 2014 CB.

Any cautions? I'm an experienced rider; older (50s) and learned to ride on 1970s UJBs. The Retro format appeals to me - although my current two bikes both wear fairings. But the 1999 BMW R1100RT is high-mileage and older - and vibrates to numb me shoulder to shoulder. The Suzuki Burgman...was a nice snooze of a ride; it's fine for stop-and-go traffic, especially in hot weather...but it's beginning to bore me.

Will the CB1100 work as a substitute for the BMW? It's less powerful - but there's a speed limit out there and I don't need to go three-figure speeds. The fairing is nice; but I have good riding gear and a full-face helmet. I'm hoping the four has the balance for a nice, comfy long ride...at least if I get a good aftermarket seat.

Thoughts? Cautions? I can still back out...and no, I'm not trading the BMW in.
 
Fairings are available for the CB. As a far as a substitute for your BMW, I think it easily fits that description. A gentleman bike that is a beautiful machine. I don't think that you will be disappointed.
 
I have a BMW K75RT, full fairing, smoothest bike BMW made. The CBis almost as smooth, but the transmission is like a Swiss watch, the BMW is like a clunking Mac truck. I love both bikes. Never was an R bike fan, rode them, owned them, but we'll never understood why they still exist. I love the CB as I wanted a naked bike again. You will enjoy it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Elipten_imp said:
I have a BMW K75RT, full fairing, smoothest bike BMW made. The CBis almost as smooth, but the transmission is like a Swiss watch, the BMW is like a clunking Mac truck. I love both bikes. Never was an R bike fan, rode them, owned them, but we'll never understood why they still exist. I love the CB as I wanted a naked bike again. You will enjoy it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That about sums up my mindset about Der Boxter. Before owning one, all I heard was about the smoothness and balance of those things.

Now, they're precision equipment. They're tractor-torquey. AND they're fast...and I do like the chassis balance. Took some getting used to, but on a trip two months into ownership, it and I made friends. BUT...it's almost as bad as my long-ago SR 500 thumper. After an hour on the saddle, my arms go neuralgic. And the shift linkage vibrated apart, behind the sheathing, unbeknownst to me...fortunately, I was three miles from the dealer. Thought the shift pawls were shot, that I couldn't get it into gear. Instead...vibration.

It's fifteen years old (owned it a year) and high mileage. Time to set it aside for rethinking; and maybe a divorce.

Nowthe CB1100 seems the chance to get a retro UJB that actually FITS...a grown-up TU 250. I just hope it's as good as the magazine reviews scream it is.
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
I have a BMW K75RT, full fairing, smoothest bike BMW made. The CBis almost as smooth, but the transmission is like a Swiss watch, the BMW is like a clunking Mac truck. I love both bikes. Never was an R bike fan, rode them, owned them, but we'll never understood why they still exist. I love the CB as I wanted a naked bike again. You will enjoy it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That about sums up my mindset about Der Boxter. Before owning one, all I heard was about the smoothness and balance of those things.

Now, they're precision equipment. They're tractor-torquey. AND they're fast...and I do like the chassis balance. Took some getting used to, but on a trip two months into ownership, it and I made friends. BUT...it's almost as bad as my long-ago SR 500 thumper. After an hour on the saddle, my arms go neuralgic. And the shift linkage vibrated apart, behind the sheathing, unbeknownst to me...fortunately, I was three miles from the dealer. Thought the shift pawls were shot, that I couldn't get it into gear. Instead...vibration.

It's fifteen years old (owned it a year) and high mileage. Time to set it aside for rethinking; and maybe a divorce.

Nowthe CB1100 seems the chance to get a retro UJB that actually FITS...a grown-up TU 250. I just hope it's as good as the magazine reviews scream it is.
Yes, it is. And even better. The vibrations will not harm your hands.
The fuel consumption is smaller I suppose. It will be good for
high mileage too. I do not regret buying this nice and smooth motorbike.

Wisedrum
 
Watch out you find yourself in the garage staring at it too much. Smart move adding it to the collection. Welcome and enjoy.
 
The boxers were best when sub 800cc, as BMW increases size to keep up in the size and HP wars, IMHO they exceeded the proper operational window. The pressure in the crank is so high sometimes from the two huge Pistons moving back and forth will blow out the oil sight window!

I have been blessed with the money to buy anything I want, and it is not the junk BMW produces now. Instead I rebuilt and upgraded my 1990 K75RT myself and bought a 2013 CB 1100 and liked it so much I went out and bought the 2014 CB 1100 DLX.

If tall you may have to lower the pegs, and install a taller seat. I'm 5'8" and I lowered the pegs due to my arthritic knees.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Do you have links on where to get lowered pegs?

I have a link on getting a Cozy brand seat; I'll give that a try. Or maybe have a seat made special up. Again, it's probably better to live with it awhile and figure out where it needs improving.
 
I sold my 08 K1200 GT and bought a 2014 DLX about a month ago. I was looking for simplicity and the GT was just too complicated. It was my first BMW and while I appreciated it's massive power and creature comforts I felt that it was an explosion waiting to happen, too many service bulletin's and warranty work. Additionally, I am 66 years old been riding for 50 + years and although I'm in excellent shape the GT was way too heavy. I love the classic look of the CB, yet it's pretty sophisticated. It's smooth and deceptively fast, gearbox is buttery and is handles well enough. All in all I don't miss the GT. JMHO
 
Welcome! Good to see someone else from Montana. Are you getting a Standard or a Deluxe? Either way you'll love it. I thought about getting a different seat, but now after 4,300 miles the stock seat is great. Since I do most of my riding over 60mph a fairing was a must have for me.
 
The CB is both beautiful and functional. It is a joy to ride and delivers its power in the low and mid-range, where most people tend to ride. There is some debate, however, as to whether it works well as a touring machine. Even with a windscreen, lowered pegs and a taller seat, I doubt that it would match your BMW in terms of long distance comfort. I noticed vibration coming through the bars that after an hour and a half numbed my hand but an easy change in grips solved that problem. It sounds as if the slight vibrations I felt would be nothing compared to what you're used to.

Your question of whether the CB will work as a substitute for the BMW is an interesting one. It is such a different machine. I love mine and between it and my VFR800, I'm almost always drawn to the CB when it comes time to ride. That's true for me despite the lack of full fairings, less HP and torque, and the absence of a proper windscreen. I suppose it could be true for you too.
 
Search this site, there have been several methods. If no luck PM me and I'll dig out my receipts. No time now as working on mounting my top box on my BMW.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
I hear you on that. That's why I'm gonna hang onto the BMW for a time...here in Montana plates are "permanent" - never need renewal. And I don't owe money on it; so it can just sit there. Just looked at retail value for that - a disappointment. Lost a thousand in value in a year's time (since I bought it).

So the most cost-effective thing, short-term, might be to just keep it...run an ad on CL but not stress on it. It may be the CB won't take its place - which is okay, too; I'll have it for a time and then sell IT, instead of the BMW.

Finding the ideal bike is a lifelong search.
 
Hi and welcome :hello:
I'm shall we say a little older and don't tour by bike any more. I love my CB because it's such a pleasure to ride. I use it like a cruiser which it excels in.
I have the EX model which has a more comfortable seat than I remember from my time with my previous 13 model and I can manage a tank of fuel quite easily before needing a short break.
There are more and more accessories available including fairings and screens but I like my bike as it is except for lower footpegs, I feel anything else would take away the character of the bike.
 
Thread starter
Pulled the pin on it.

For better or wuss, I'm in.

I'm surprised at how LIGHT the thing feels. I already know, because I looked it up (was going to cart it home) it's 525 pounds. My BMW was about 600 pounds; but unless you ran each one over your foot, you'd never believe it.

Everything is light. Clutch, shifting, brakes. Yup, the chair is a little small; but as with UJBs with breadloaf seats, you can reposition and slide back.

I'm gonna miss heated grips, but I want to get to know this thing before I start adding bling to it.

Two questions: How critical is break-in procedure?...and, how accurate is the electronic MPG reading?
 
Congratulations JustPassinThru. Glad you've done the deed. Now to enjoy it.
 
You won't be disappointed, JPT.!

On break in, I just took it easy for the first few hundred miles and varied the speed and RPM but didn't break 4k rpm until about 300 miles or so. Others have other procedures, so this could turn into an oil thread.

The gauge cluster seems pretty accurate to me. The speedo is pretty close to dead on and after many tankfulls the mpg thingy calculates to be somewhere close.

Have fun pardner!
 
Congrats!

How critical is break-in procedure? Just as critical as which type of oil you choose! In other words, theories and opinions abound.

I'm sure the ferret can give you a direct answer as to mpg. He's rather, how should I put this...detailed when it comes to things like that. I'm not certain what the mpg works out to but on my last tank full, I went 183 miles. I refilled with 3.6 gallons into my 3.9 gallon capacity tank.

EDIT: I see DAC beat me to it!
 
In my experience the calculated mpg reading is within 1 mpg. I was amazed and checked it with a calculator many many times.
 
Thread starter
Yeah, according to the manual I should put 300 miles on it before opening it up.

That's not a lot, really - but I'm in a town nestled in a valley, and the only ways in or out are freeways. Speed limit is 75 in any direction. You loaf along at 55 and you risk becoming road-kill.

Trying to keep from using wide throttle and keeping the needle under 3K. That's some doing, because the engine doesn't really start pulling until 2K - and lugging a new engine wide open is THE worst to do. So, I have a fast bike I have to ride slow. And can't leave town with. For three hundred miles. In a town six miles across, is all.
 
Back
Top