New owner about to sell......questions for the experts.

In my experience this bike has definitely become less "vibey" after putting on a couple of thousand miles. This is one of the reasons I've decided to keep the bike.

Kevin
Honda CB1100
Honda CTX700
 
When I rode the sons CB from the dealer in Toledo Ohio back to central Florida for him, I started out cruising at 60 for a few hundred miles, then 65, then 70, then 75, then settled on 80, with a couple of top end blasts for good measure. Since then he and I have experienced all speeds and have racked up 1400+ miles.
Neither have encountered vibration to any noticeable extent, especially from the tank.
We're used to riding thumpers (Suzuki DR650) v-twins (Guzzi and Aprilia) and Yamaha (750 triple and FZ1 inline 4), so we may just have some sort of vibrational immunity. To me, the CB is one of the smoothest bikes I've ridden ;)
 
Having not ridden one of the modern Bonnies, I can't make a cogent comparison; however, it astounds me that the new iterations are without any vibrations. It is possible, of course, that a vertical twin is now ultra smooth vs. an in-line 4. My '78 Trumpet was a jumping bean vs. the 2013 CB1100. So, hats of to Bloor getting that engineered out to the point that a Honda 4 is now considered unacceptably vibratory. :huh: Maybe it is the frequency level of any vibes that puts you off? Sort of like how Harley guys put up with their paint-shakers?

I did, however, put the Grab-on foams over the grips on mine, but not so much to alleviate any vibration; rather to give a better feel than the weenie stockers.

And, perhaps, I have fallen for a Troll Trap. :P
 
I notice vibrations in machines so much so I had to sell and take a big loss on a new snowmobile that made my hands and feet go numb. I have no complaints about the CB. My 919 bothers me a little. So I wonder what could be or if something could be different with your bike. Maybe Ack is right about the oil. Im currently running 10w40. But I don't recall any vibrations with the dealer oil before the first oil change.
 
Kdarwood,

Do you ride in street shoes, without gloves? I ask because the proper gear makes a big difference. My CB has aluminum Renthal handlebars with 12 ounce stainless steel bar weights on each side. I also wear Cortech Accelerator gloves and Alpinestar adventure boots. Vibration is a non issue from the bars or pegs. I don't grip the tank with my knees so I can't comment about that source of vibration.
 
I'm particularly bothered by high frequency vibes, and agree that my Bonnie's vibes are much more tolerable. On my 2013 CB1100, the vibes were enough to almost sell it. However, was able to drop the 70mph engine speed from 4000 down to 3600 rpm by installing a 19-tooth countershaft sprocket and a 37 tooth rear. Try cruising around at 3600rpm and see if the vibes are still objectionable - it made the difference for me.

If you want more info on the 19 tooth, just put it in the search. I haven't posted on the 37 tooth steel rear yet because I want to try another supplier.
 
If the Cb is on cycletrader and a 2014 at that for 7500 it should already have 10 offers. So many people like my ride. I talk to people all the time about its look, design and motor. The vibration is from 150 miles only on the motor. It is breaking in and that's all there is to it. Engine is running tight. I felt the engine loosen up 3 different times with the sound getting throatier each time. After the rings fully seated it was at 1800 miles when I realized after a takeoff to 6000rpm in 3rd how smooth it was. Wait till you hit 98 mph on the interstate. Floated through traffic passed cars with power when needed. I ride next to two 2003 HD aniv Low and Road King. You can see their vibration problems as they shake talking to me.
 
The first thing I would do is check every bolt, nut, and screw that you can find on the bike for proper tightness. There's no telling where a particular vibration can come from, or predicting how it will make itself known to the rider.
 
The CB is a bit buzzy at high RPM but one trick I found very early on and one that was posted on the UK CB Forum site back in early 2013 was to re-torque the bar clamp bushings under the triple tree. I believe the spec calls for 15 ft-lbs. I torqued mine to 20 ft-lbs and this made a big difference on my bike. Vibs are much more subtle now and I really enjoy the bike. I had a 2011 Bonnevile prior to my CB. The parallel twins put a whole different set of vibs on the bike vs an inline 4. Just the nature of these two bikes and the engines they use. Good luck with it.
 
If you want a basically vibe-free experience, I highly recommend the new VFR800. Not that I'm biased or anything...
 
Is vibe-free possible or even desirable? I'd want some vibes.. It's feedback as to how your bike is running. It is a motorcycle after all, not a sewing machine. :s
( don't take this the wrong way, I'm being funny, not critical!)
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Is vibe-free possible or even desirable? I'd want some vibes.. It's feedback as to how your bike is running. It is a motorcycle after all, not a sewing machine. :s
( don't take this the wrong way, I'm being funny, not critical!)
FWIW, the CBR1100XX inline-4 engine with dual counterbalancers is essentially vibe-free. Honda could have added the 'extra' counterbalancer and given us a vibe-free CB1100, but I think they actually *wanted* the bike to give a little buzz, just for old times sake !
 
furious_blue_imp said:
ClassicVW_imp said:
Is vibe-free possible or even desirable? I'd want some vibes.. It's feedback as to how your bike is running. It is a motorcycle after all, not a sewing machine. :s
( don't take this the wrong way, I'm being funny, not critical!)
FWIW, the CBR1100XX inline-4 engine with dual counterbalancers is essentially vibe-free. Honda could have added the 'extra' counterbalancer and given us a vibe-free CB1100, but I think they actually *wanted* the bike to give a little buzz, just for old times sake !
FWIW, the CBR1100XX inline-4 engine with dual counterbalancers is essentially vibe-free. Honda could have added the 'extra' counterbalancer and given us a vibe-free CB1100, but I think they actually *wanted* the bike to give a little buzz, just for old times sake ! +1 best bike ever made:thumbsup:
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Didn't people criticize BMW for years about having engines that were too smooth and too quiet?
Probably those nuts running around on those BSA single jackhammers.
Remember seeing the front wheel pogo-ing on and off the pavement in time with the engine at idle ?
If your brain is not constantly hitting the top of your skull, then you aren't on a *real* motorcycle ! (ha ha)
 
BMW R bikes vibrate like heck, so that was PR nonsense by the BMW community. The K bikes were much smoother with the K75 being the most vibration free, with many claiming the smoothest bike on the market. I've owned all and have a K75. The CB100 is quieter than my K75 and almost as smooth (I have owned my K bike from new, it is stock and perfectly maintained for those that will ask). The CB's transmission is far smoother! But then the K bike is dry clutch.

Those R bike with 2 big pistons slamming side to side is almost like riding an out of balance washing machine. Every time I take the K bike in I used to ride a demo R bike. I have not bothered in years.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I've owned about 10 R bikes and 1 K bike. The K was certainly smooth and reliable, but I still prefer the "soul" of that boxer engine of the R. None of them felt out of balance at all, no matter the mileage they had.
 
Back
Top