New owner about to sell......questions for the experts.

kdarwood_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this motorcyle and this site. I was in the same boat as many that couldn't decide if they wanted the Bonneville or the CB1100. I'm fortunate enough to be able to have two bikes, so since I couldn't decide I bought the basic Bonneville and also a 2013 CB1100. Well, after a couple weeks I've decided I might like the Bonneville better. All in all the CB is a much better bike in every aspect, except one. I don't like the high frequency vibration I get through the tank and grips. Due to this I have listed my brand new CB1100 on cycletrader and craigslist, and will be taking a significant loss to sell it. Before this thing goes, can anyone confirm what I'm experiencing and offer a solution, or is it just part of the old school "charm" of the bike? I love the styling and everything else about it, so I hate to get rid of it right away and take a big loss, but I also have no interest in keeping it and dealing with it. I can handle it for an hour, but after that my hands start to tingle and the feeling in my knees gets annoying. Thanks in advance for your responses.
 
Before you take a big loss I would keep riding it for a little longer.
I do not know how many miles are on your bike but mine had a little vibrations in the beginning and now it is perfect.
For me no need to have any different grips etc.
Also check everything what could cause the vibrations ;Tires, wheels , bearings , brakes ,handle bar etc. and than the engine.
This is one of the smoothest bikes I have ever ridden.
 
There is some high rpm buzz in any and all inline 4s ( nature of the beast) but it's hardly bothersome for most of us. If you spend an hour in the vibration zone, you must be flying somewhere or forget to upshift. I've ridden mine for 9 hours straight thru on the freeway from North Carolina to Ohio at 70 mph + and had a minor complaint about the seat, but no complaints of vibrations.

However if the vibration bothers you, then yea keep the Bonnie and sell the CB.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Houtman. I've only put about 150 miles on the bike so far. I've been riding the Bonneville more. The vibration is almost a buzz it's such a high frequency. I really feel it through the tank the most. I could probably get different grips and solve the grip vibration, but the tank vibration bugs me. I realize I'm being nitpicky and it might not bother other people at all. Just an observation and annoyance really. I really want to love this bike as everything else about it is great, but if this doesn't get better it will be sold to some lucky person who would love to have it. I still have it listed for sale, but would gladly take down the listing if this can be resolved.

Ferret, I have it in 5th gear at 55 miles an hour. I've been breaking the engine in correctly, so no excessively high rpm riding. Hmmm........I guess I'm just not used to the feeling.
 
The only vibration I feel is around 5400+ RPM, but you're well past the speed limit in fifth gear at that RPM. IIRC, 70mph is 4000 RPM in fifth gear, and I don't feel much of any buzz at that RPM, other than what I'd call "motorcycle vibrations." Definitely not any tank buzz. I don't think I ever feel anything from the tank.
 
There is some typical 4cyl vibration in the upper rpm range but I never ride at that rpm level for long. CB is very smooth at legal freeway speeds. The Bonnie is a great bike also. Why not keep both?
 
I don't feel any buzz on my 2013 CB...except when I rarely do redline shifts, the bike will buzz as it revs on the way redline, but I never notice a buzz riding below 70 MPH in top gear
 
We all have a different tolerance for vibration, and I agree it either got better as the miles added up, or I got used to it. The first couple rides were annoying with the tank buzz in particular.

Be sure to take the Bonnie to the upper RPM range a few times at speed---the vibrations are different, but noticable - at least they were on the model I test rode.

Last resort would be to ride something 2-stroke. The CB will feel like it has an electric motor after that:).
 
A lot of us had more issues with the inadequacies of the Bonnie, but there is already a thread floating around about that.

I'd say if you have it advertised, you are kind of stuck, unless you are willing to turn away buyers. At 150 miles, I don't think you've given it much of a chance, it's a wonderful motorcycle. the best that many of us have ever had and some of us have had quite a few, including Bonnies.

Ultimately you are the one that has to decide and at this point it appears you have already made the decision. You might try riding without clamping your knees against the tank, if that is what you are doing, and see if that helps.
 
I have to say, My 2013 had only 575 miles when i bought it, and I've ridden it about 200 since, and I dont feel any grip, tank, or peg vibrations. For one very brief moment I felt a buzz in the seat, but to me, the seat sucks and I'm going to replace it anyway.

I dont know why you are feeling so much vibration, but I think its unusual. Maybe someone can investigate it for you?
 
Try installing some Grip Puppies. Cheap ($10), easy (should take about 3 minutes) possible solution to your problem. It won't 100% cure that slight buzz you get, but it might make the difference for you.
I'm also presently a Bonneville/CB owner, and have had the same inner conflict about maybe selling one or the other, although for different reasons. Although I still haven't decided myself, I'd highly recommend getting more seat time in with the CB, as it's a lot more bike than the Bonnie.
Best of luck, whatever you decide!
 
a lot of vibration can be managed by the throttling....there is a usually a sweetspot on all bikeswhere the bike just glides...while maintaining the desired speed ( of course within limits)... cannot vouch for high speed riding though.. :)..I would say ride a bit more on the CB and expirement on the throttling a bit...you wont be disappointed..
also grip buddies.. and a nice glove helps.. :)
 
I hate to bring up oil, but..........
going from 10w40 to 10w30 on mine made a big increase in vibes. Rode 4 months from new w/10w40, never a tingle in my hands. Temps dropped to around 50 in the fall. Swithed to 10w30 for winter, hands numb after 15-20 minutes.

Might be worth a try?
The smoothest I found was Amsoil 10w40
 
oh boy it's an oil thread now!
 
Thread starter
Thanks to everyone who has replied. I've got my eye on Triumph Street Triple as a stablemate for the Bonnie, so if someone wants the CB I'd sell it, but could easily give it more time and miles to see if it sorts itself out. Just kind of crave a completely different experience than the retro standard. I have tried riding without my knees hugging the tank and it helps, but that isn't how I like to ride. Truth be told, I'm very finicky with my bikes and buy and sell way more than I should. I'm always searching for that magic combination I don't want to get rid of. Come to think of it, I'm that way with women too. Might explain why I'm 40 and single. :)
 
I am with you on the buzz. It is noticeable, prevalent at 4500 then again at 7000 revs, and requires me to ignore it. I love the bike, but I've had to adapt to short shifting it and gritting through. It's really the only shortcoming of the bike, I just did a nice 100 mile spirited ride yesterday, and had no problems keeping up with some pukka sporting machines.

I also own a Bonnie, which, while a class below the CB on almost every level, is not as vibratory and to me, smoother.
 
Sell it and move on. Different strokes, and all that. Life's too short to spend time trying to warm up to something when you have the means to make the change.

No harm no foul. Ride what makes you grin from ear to ear! :shy:

Best wishes!
 
Thread starter
Capo, I feel exactly the same about the CB and Bonnie Comparison. I honestly think the CB is the mre refined and better bike, but I like riding the Bonnie more. If only the Bonneville had a few more horses. If anyone is interested in buying the CB, send me a PM. $7500 including a National Cycle deflector windscreen.
 
Back
Top