New Old Stock 2014

tinboatcapt_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I Picked it up today. My first NEW motorcycle since 1972. I've had a few bikes but they have been older low miles units, or something need a little TLC. This one is a zero miles, brand new, I get to put the first scratch on it bike.

It is the standard. All black with a simple windscreen and luggage rack. Simple, I've done the Tupperware but I wanted to get back to basic motorcycling. I have ridden many of the 80's standards and still own an '81 CB650C.

My first impression is very favorable. The ride home from the dealer is 66 miles of secondary roads and small towns. What a delight this motorcycle is. Any thoughts that this was a remake of the 80's was quickly banished. This bike is retro in appearance only. My main ride up to now has been a very favorable experience with an ST1100; Over 100K miles of smiles with little but gas, tires, and oil...oh and coolant.

So how do they compare? The CB is much easier to handle in slow speed situations such as stop n go traffic and parking lots. I believe it is nearly 200 pounds lighter without the shaft drive, water cooling, and luggage. The CB with stock suspension handles the corners nearly as well as the ST with its Traxxion Dynamics Cartridge front and Penske rear suspension. I find the seat isn't terrible, but then I'm spoiled with the custom seat on the ST. Perhaps there is a custom seat in the CB's future.

One aspect of fully faired, water cooled bikes is the heat. The manufactures, try as they might to control it, the heat can get uncomfortable behind all that tupper ware. On the other hand, that plastic can be handy when encountering the inevitable rain on long trips. I suspect I'll find the naked bike a tad uncomfortable if I don't stay in the hotel until more favorable weather.

In all, I am totally pleased with this completely different bike from my history with sport tour bikes. A few short rides this week then I am off next weekend to a gathering about 150 miles from home, Some group riding, then back for about 4-5 hundred miles for the weekend.
I'll post a ride report after the ride and first service.
Jim
 
Congrats Jim. I think you will find the CB 1100 immensely satisfying for those rides least suitable for the ST. There are at least 5 or 6 of us in the forum that have this combination of motorcycles in their garage.
 
Congrats on the bike. Sounds like you went in eyes wide open.

tinboatcapt_imp said:
I Picked it up today. My first NEW motorcycle since 1972. I've had a few bikes but they have been older low miles units, or something need a little TLC. This one is a zero miles, brand new, I get to put the first scratch on it bike.

It is the standard. All black with a simple windscreen and luggage rack. Simple, I've done the Tupperware but I wanted to get back to basic motorcycling. I have ridden many of the 80's standards and still own an '81 CB650C.

My first impression is very favorable. The ride home from the dealer is 66 miles of secondary roads and small towns. What a delight this motorcycle is. Any thoughts that this was a remake of the 80's was quickly banished. This bike is retro in appearance only. My main ride up to now has been a very favorable experience with an ST1100; Over 100K miles of smiles with little but gas, tires, and oil...oh and coolant.

So how do they compare? The CB is much easier to handle in slow speed situations such as stop n go traffic and parking lots. I believe it is nearly 200 pounds lighter without the shaft drive, water cooling, and luggage. The CB with stock suspension handles the corners nearly as well as the ST with its Traxxion Dynamics Cartridge front and Penske rear suspension. I find the seat isn't terrible, but then I'm spoiled with the custom seat on the ST. Perhaps there is a custom seat in the CB's future.

One aspect of fully faired, water cooled bikes is the heat. The manufactures, try as they might to control it, the heat can get uncomfortable behind all that tupper ware. On the other hand, that plastic can be handy when encountering the inevitable rain on long trips. I suspect I'll find the naked bike a tad uncomfortable if I don't stay in the hotel until more favorable weather.

In all, I am totally pleased with this completely different bike from my history with sport tour bikes. A few short rides this week then I am off next weekend to a gathering about 150 miles from home, Some group riding, then back for about 4-5 hundred miles for the weekend.
I'll post a ride report after the ride and first service.
Jim
I have to agree. I really wonder why in this day and age the hot radiator exhaust can't be ducted behind the rider.
 
Congratulations Jim. A big day.
 
Congrats Tinboat!!

Now get some RLETs on that thing :celebrate:
 
Thread starter
I just rolled in from a little ride. I and a riding friend made the loop around Lake Pepin (a wide spot in the Mississippi River for those not from around here). I had to stop at the dealer for a few minutes. Yesterday on the way home the "license applied for" plate blew off. I took the chance to ride it the 65 miles back and picked up another, and fastened it better.

Plate in place, we crossed the river into Wisconsin and headed south on "The Great River Road". Two lane secondary highway passing through a half dozen small towns that cater to riders boaters, and tourists. We paused for a soda in a city park on the river and watched the recreational, impromptu parade for a while. Back in the saddle we continued to the next bridge back to Minnesota and pick up US-60. A lovely and well know bike road that winds up out of the river valley and crosses several ridges and valleys. This gave me a chance to scratch the "feelers" on the foot rests.

After about 30 miles of twisties, the road rises onto the prairie and from there it was about 60 miles home. We cover just a couple of miles under 200 miles in about 6 hours.

All I am left with is: WOW! This is a way better bike than I expected. Honda hit it out of the park with the CB1100. I can not believe their marketing of it is so feeble. From the start I had placed this bike in contention to get a side care next year. That would be a crime of epic proportions. Look out CB650. I have plans for you.
Jim
Um...help me out. What's an RLET? You will need to help out this dinosaur with the modern jargon.
jim
 
Thread starter
Well. Thanks. At the risk of speaking sacrilegiously ... I am more of a function over form kind of guy. The levers function more than adequately sans RLETS. I shall for go them.
jim
 
He says that now bwahahahaha
 
So TinBoat joins the Sith Lord Redbirds and his followers like Rocky. I feel a disturbance in the force.
 
RLETs are both a blessing and a curse. No Honda CB-anything should be without them. BUT, in a cramped garage, they do reach out and grab your shirt as you walk by, causing you to stumble, or worse, bump the bike into the bike parked next to it.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
RLETs are both a blessing and a curse. No Honda CB-anything should be without them. BUT, in a cramped garage, they do reach out and grab your shirt as you walk by, causing you to stumble, or worse, bump the bike into the bike parked next to it.
That's the CB1100's way of telling you, let me out of this cramped garage I want to go for a ride.
 
Really Classic? :P You need a garage as small as mine. The bikes are parked too close to walk between. OTOH, the left RLET will get me sometimes :D The dang mirror gets me ALL the time :banana:
 
Is that because you walk like that banana, popgun? :banana:
 
Maybe THATS the problem:celebrate: or this. :beerchug: :D
 
Thread starter
I have much more room in my 20x24' garage now that I am down: a 74 XL 350 and an 86 Aspencade with a sidecar, and only added the CB1100 to join the ST1100 and the 81 CB650c. But the S.O.'s car shall not sit in the sun, rain, or snow and must have her half of the garage. Oh. I forgot to mention my son's 6' tool box on my half, along with my own more modest tool collection.
Cramped for sure. The RLET's wouldn't catch my shirt. I can't get to my tools unless I move one of the bikes. There is no squeezing between them.
Jim
 
Back
Top