New Ohlins

ChipBeck_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Gentlemen,

NTX Superbikes in Texas ordered me some new black spring Ohlins. Ohlin USA didn't have any CB1100 shocks on hand so these were made and shipped from Sweden. Took about a month to get them after ordering. Too bad they didn't arrive a couple days earlier so I could use them on my trip to California. Next week I'll find time to install them and add my opinion to the many already posted here about these shocks. Cheers.

Chip



[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/photo%2011.jpg.html]
 
Nice looking shocks there Chip.
 
I had to read that 3 times before I got it un-decider. Add an accent and that's funny lol
 
What PN is that?!!? All I can find is the $1000+ reservoir shocks! I've been looking for something like this! Has all the adjustments I need. Just needs to be in $600 range..
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Maybe it's their shape.
My, my, whatever do you mean?

Oh...OH!

Yeah, maybe.
kDiqq_imp said:
What PN is that?!!? All I can find is the $1000+ reservoir shocks! I've been looking for something like this! Has all the adjustments I need. Just needs to be in $600 range..
Was so happy for you. Until your last sentence.
 
Thread starter
kDiqq_imp said:
What PN is that?!!? All I can find is the $1000+ reservoir shocks! I've been looking for something like this! Has all the adjustments I need. Just needs to be in $600 range..
K,

Part # HO-010, you must specify spring color, your riding weight with gear, and what % of your riding will be 2 up.

I negotiated a discounted price and bought from this dealer because they don't charge sales tax on out of state sales. I paid $868 plus $25 shipping for a total of $893. NTX Superbikes phone # is (972) 966-0932. Hope that helps.

Chip
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
kDiqq_imp said:
What PN is that?!!? All I can find is the $1000+ reservoir shocks! I've been looking for something like this! Has all the adjustments I need. Just needs to be in $600 range..
K,

Part # HO-010, you must specify spring color, your riding weight with gear, and what % of your riding will be 2 up.

I negotiated a discounted price and bought from this dealer because they don't charge sales tax on out of state sales. I paid $868 plus $25 shipping for a total of $893. NTX Superbikes phone # is (972) 966-0932. Hope that helps.

Chip
K,

Part # HO-010, you must specify spring color, your riding weight with gear, and what % of your riding will be 2 up.

I negotiated a discounted price and bought from this dealer because they don't charge sales tax on out of state sales. I paid $868 plus $25 shipping for a total of $893. NTX Superbikes phone # is (972) 966-0932. Hope that helps.

Chip
Awesome, thanks for this Chip!! :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Gentlemen,

Two nights ago after putting on my 19 tooth front sprocket and installing a '14 Dlx aluminum engine side cover I finally got around to putting on these Ohlins. They look trick. My sweetheart Renea and I are going for a two up ride to dinner tonight to try them out. Yeah baby!!

Chip

 
Chip, your bike is a beautiful!
IMHO, it is a toss-up between your 1100 and CB4ME's as to which bike appeals to me the most.
Both you guys have done outstanding work making your CB "YOURS".
 
Thread starter
anyonecandoanything_imp said:
What the advantages of having the reservoir ones over these?
Any,

The advantage of reservoir shocks is temperature control when used hard for an extended period. Every time a shock is compressed the hydrolic fluid is forced through small passageways and it heats up. As it heats up it thins out (like motor oil does) and the dampening ability of the shock is lessened. The reservoirs allow the shock to hold 2 to 4 times as much fluid so it will take 2 to 4 times as long for it to heat up. The shock will remain effective for a longer period of time when it's being worked really hard as it would be in a Superbike or motocross race. For street riding where the shock won't ever get that hot there is no benefit to the reservoirs other than that they look cool. The shock itself is the same.

Chip
 
Chip, that is one beaut looking bike. Enjoy your two-up ride and dinner. Those engine side covers are gleaming. Can see your reflection in them. I hang my head in shame.

Cheers
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Chip, that is one beaut looking bike. Enjoy your two-up ride and dinner. Those engine side covers are gleaming. Can see your reflection in them. I hang my head in shame.

Cheers
Ptero,

The side covers are not polished but are about the same slightly brushed finish as the other aluminum side covers and the cam covers. That finish is also used on the fork sliders and the rear peg mounts. If I polished one then I would have to polish them all and I like the original finish. The aluminum side cover really does look a lot better and it's not that expensive. Put one on your bike!!

The Ohlins are a bit firmer than the stock shocks. I had them spring mine for occasional 2 up riding (20%) so others might choose a lighter spring. In both compression and rebound there is a lot more dampening and zero bounce when I hit something big but this comes at the expense of a bit of ride comfort. For the type of riding I do the stock shocks were fine and they rode softer. Those Ohlins looked so trick on other members bikes that I had to get a pair though. In short, better control and road holding and slightly less comfort. They are really high quality units. If you buy them to improve handeling you'll like them. If you are expecting a softer more comfortable ride you will be disappointed.

Chip
 
Thanks Chip. I'm really tempted by the handling aspect of those Ohlins. As you may know I like to tour with camping gear and find the stock shocks just adequate, at best. The rebound adjustment is a key attractor.

Cheers
 
Back
Top