New O2 sensor installed

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
As I noted elsewhere on this forum, my CB1100 began exhibiting some poor fueling issues when traveling at steady speeds in lower RPMs. Installation of an O2 sensor eliminator plug immediately corrected this problem. I wasn't totally keen on leaving the eliminator installed permanently and finally got around to ordering a new oxygen sensor unit for my bike. I installed the new sensor last night. I only had time for a short test ride today and thus far everything seems fine.

A few times I caught myself thinking that there might have been the slightest amount of surging/hunting going on. Honestly, I really couldn't tell and figured that I was probably just looking for something wrong. I can't say for sure that the bike is running as smoothly now with the new sensor installed as it did with the sensor eliminator. However, I can say that it is definitely running more smoothly now than it did with the old sensor installed.

I'll give it some time and then report back on the results.
 
Hope it works out for you boss
 
Thread starter
veech_imp said:
Did you replace the header gaskets when you dropped the headers for this install?
I would have, but I got a a fair amount into the job only to realize that I had totally forgotten to order the replacement gaskets.

In the end, I did not end up removing the headers. I loosened up the flanges to the point where I could move the exhaust just enough to allow my socket to fit between the frame and the collector. Out with the old and in with the new. Everything went back together without issue. No exhaust leaks — at least for now.
 
As long as you're not having leaks you should be fine. These typically show up immediately (not like an oil leak that can develop later.) I would definitely get some for the next time though just to be safe...they are dirt cheap insurance. They are the sort of thing that I order to have 'in stock' while ordering other items even when I don't need them as I know I eventually will!
 
My bike is having some intermittent surging issues, although they seem to appear at higher speeds and at 3800-4200 rpm. A) does that sound like it could be solved by installing an eliminator? And B) is there a "How To" thread on the installation? (Searched but did not find one, although I did the search at 2:00am so...)
 
ES, here is a link that JPX posted: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/o2-Oxygen-Lamb...339ac11f47

It shows one with the plug if you remove the sensor. All you have to do is unplug the sensor harness, plug in the eliminator into the bike harness (where you just unplugged the 02 sensor) and you are done. And if you want you can remove the sensor itself and plug the hole with that plug and washer.

There are others on the market besides this one.

Guth, your experience makes me wonder if some of the CBs have wonky 02 sensors. Some of us have no problems at all and some have problems like yours. Since your problem went away with a new sensor, I just have to wonder.
 
Thread starter
Well, my CB1100 is beginning to show signs of the same fueling issues that existed previously so it is highly doubtful that the 02 sensor itself is the culprit. At this point I'm not sure what I'll do next.

MTC's issue sounds different to me. The issue my CB exhibits happens only at lower RPMs (under 3000 RPM) and I wouldn't really say that it is intermittent.
 
Guth_imp said:
Well, my CB1100 is beginning to show signs of the same fueling issues that existed previously so it is highly doubtful that the 02 sensor itself is the culprit. At this point I'm not sure what I'll do next.

MTC's issue sounds different to me. The issue my CB exhibits happens only at lower RPMs (under 3000 RPM) and I wouldn't really say that it is intermittent.
That is unless you got ahold of a new "bad" one. :-/
I know that's unlikely but it ran fine with the sensor eliminator, right? I've got an eliminator plug in mine and it solved my surging problem completely.
 
Just do it Guth, put the 02 Eliminator Plug back on and go ride. My bike has been running tops know for 2000 mi with it. No regrets................
 
Thread starter
I didn't even last a week before reinstalling the eliminator plug. Unfortunately that doesn't sit well with me as I want to know what is causing the problem and would rather see the bike running like it should with the O2 sensor connected and doing its job.
 
Guth_imp said:
I didn't even last a week before reinstalling the eliminator plug. Unfortunately that doesn't sit well with me as I want to know what is causing the problem and would rather see the bike running like it should with the O2 sensor connected and doing its job.
Installing an 02 sensor eliminater to make the bike run better when you are not having issues is one thing, I'm thinking about getting one now, but, like you I would be wondering what is going on when it was fine before but is not now.... I hope I make sense of what I'm trying say....
 
Headbanger02_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
I didn't even last a week before reinstalling the eliminator plug. Unfortunately that doesn't sit well with me as I want to know what is causing the problem and would rather see the bike running like it should with the O2 sensor connected and doing its job.
Installing an 02 sensor eliminater to make the bike run better when you are not having issues is one thing, I'm thinking about getting one now, but, like you I would be wondering what is going on when it was fine before but is not now.... I hope I make sense of what I'm trying say....
Installing an 02 sensor eliminater to make the bike run better when you are not having issues is one thing, I'm thinking about getting one now, but, like you I would be wondering what is going on when it was fine before but is not now.... I hope I make sense of what I'm trying say....
I think you guys are overthinking this whole thing. For instance, I had a '02 Honda RC51, and it ran perfectly. Sadly I crashed it and bought another one, and this one ran fine but not below 3,000 RPM. It bucked and surged, and when I mentioned it to the guys at the Honda dealer they said, "It needs a Power Commander." I got one with a map that matched my slip-on exhausts, and my problem disappeared and it ran fine after that, and I was quite happy.
IMO, some of our CB1100s have a small problem with fueling and one could spend a lot of time trying to figure out why...or apply a "fix" that we know works (the O2 eliminator plug) and forget about it. :beerchug:
 
Back
Top