New Model Year CB1100's??

Funny you should mention the 650L, it has not changed in years and some model years are simply skipped (I don't think there was a 2014 model) so there is the possibility (unlikely) that there won't be a 2015 model but it will come back in 2016 after inventories have been cleared out.
 
"Yamaha has a nice SR400"

My brother keeps telling me that it should have electric start. Still one at my local dealer who has sold out of last year's FZ07 and FZ09.
 
Spoke to Honda seems there's 13 &14 still at the dealer so probably will wait and release 2016 model so here's my question cb1100 or deluxe
 
Depends on what you want in a motorcycle.. Which speaks to you? 2013 red 5 speed, 2014 black 6 speed, or 2014 red 6 speed. All have same motor. Just dressed a little differently.
 
I went to the Honda exhibit yesterday in Daytona at Bike Week and spoke to one of the Honda guys there. I don't know if he actually works for Honda or one of the local dealers, but he said they are going to release a 2015 version which will essentially be the same as the 2014 with just some color changes. The DLX they had on display was a 2014 built in March of 2014. I didn't check the black standards date. I asked him why they didn't introduce a 2015 here in Daytona...he didn't know but said that the CB's sold well so a 2015 is coming. I hope he's right.
My DLX is a keeper, but it would still be nice to see what they would do with a new one. Perhaps nothing other than a color change. My 2009 KLR is identical to the 2015...except for color and price. And they've sold boatloads of this same bike over the years...
 
DGShannon_imp said:
EGAlvarez_imp said:
With literally hundreds of new 2013's and 2014's sitting in crates across the country, it's not looking good for a 2015 (but I hope I am wrong!) Although this is great for consumers as I have seen the 2013's at $6999 and the 2014 Deluxe versions selling at $9999.
Wish I had the bucks to put a couple of crates away in storage. Be fun to place a "new in crate" CB1100 on the market, in about 20 years!
Wish I had the bucks to put a couple of crates away in storage. Be fun to place a "new in crate" CB1100 on the market, in about 20 years!
It would be a loser for whoever did it.

I go back thirty years...to my first new bike. Anyone know of megadealer Rick Case? Car dealerships all across the nation. Got his start forty years ago as a motorcycle dealer in Cleveland.

In the mid-1980s he decided he'd rather sell cars than bikes. He had a multiline cycle dealership; that's how he got in with Honda when they were setting up their car dealership network...and he was ready to change out. Sold his cycle stores and inventory.

And the guy who bought them, found five-year-old Yamaha SR 500s and XS400s still in crates...basically he had a fire-sale to clear them out. I had a NEW SR 500, with an MSO title and no mileage...for $900. That was about $400 under sticker; probably a loss for the store.

Today, of course, the SR 500 is a collectable; but no business can wait that long. Not Mark Smith Cycles, Rick Case's renamed chain, which collapsed a year later from the pressures of borrowed money and not enough sales.

Buying a vehicle and storing it against future interest is a high-stakes gamble; and even if there's a payoff years later it's often not enough to make it worth the hassle.
 
A couple of things come to my mind.
The U.S. economy is just starting to rebound from the recession that started in 2008. Motorcycles are mere toys for 95% of the buyers. Even though motorcycle sales are on the rise again, motorcycle manufacturers have more models in their lineups than ever before. There are literally hundreds of model choices across the manufacturer lines for a potential buyer. I don't see any one model breaking sales figures. Honda must be happy selling less and less of particular models, but spreading it out over many different models.

And I haven't seen Honda spending money on advertising street bikes other than the Goldwing variants. Heck, I see many more Triumph ads in print than Hondas.
 
linuxology_imp said:
It is quite amazing that the bike is not more popular.
I think you had to be around for the original, when the UJB was revolutionizing motorcycling, to appreciate the retro.

And, let's face it - air-cooling has compromises; and the power specs aren't so amazing. For the displacement, 85hp is a bit low. For a bike, a redline in the mid-fifties, is a bit low, also. It's not a put-off for me; I know what I'm buying; but the kids, or thirtysomethings...they see this and wonder what it's all about.

Jut to cap it all, Honda should have put a kick starter on it. What better way to make their jaws drop?
 
I've always been of the mindset that Honda developed this bike primarily for the Japanese market and as a project for themselves honoring one of the most important chapters in their history. They obviously put a lot of thought and care into the bike, but without much consideration for markets outside of Japan (I believe Australia and New Zealand were fortunate enough to be included due to similar regulatory standards).

By the time the CB1100 made it to markets like Europe and North America, it had already been around for quite a while. I'm sure some of Honda's initial enthusiasm for the CB1100 had begun to fade by the time they chose to make the bike available elsewhere. When it comes to marketing the bike, etc., I suppose that it does feel a bit like an afterthought in many ways. Regardless of whether or not a 2015 model is released, I remain ecstatic that Honda actually did make this great machine available in the markets that they first chose to ignore.
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
linuxology_imp said:
It is quite amazing that the bike is not more popular.
I think you had to be around for the original, when the UJB was revolutionizing motorcycling, to appreciate the retro.

And, let's face it - air-cooling has compromises; and the power specs aren't so amazing. For the displacement, 85hp is a bit low. For a bike, a redline in the mid-fifties, is a bit low, also. It's not a put-off for me; I know what I'm buying; but the kids, or thirtysomethings...they see this and wonder what it's all about.

Jut to cap it all, Honda should have put a kick starter on it. What better way to make their jaws drop?
That would have been too cool, even if you never ever used it.
 
I would love to have had a kick starter for the rare day I wanted to relive my youth. I almost always kick started my CB360 and other bikes. When I got the BMW I missed it and it took years to get used to not having it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
DGShannon_imp said:
EGAlvarez_imp said:
With literally hundreds of new 2013's and 2014's sitting in crates across the country, it's not looking good for a 2015 (but I hope I am wrong!) Although this is great for consumers as I have seen the 2013's at $6999 and the 2014 Deluxe versions selling at $9999.
Wish I had the bucks to put a couple of crates away in storage. Be fun to place a "new in crate" CB1100 on the market, in about 20 years!
Wish I had the bucks to put a couple of crates away in storage. Be fun to place a "new in crate" CB1100 on the market, in about 20 years!
I have a friend who has a '95 Ducati Monster sitting in his shop that has 160 total miles on it. It was used for primarily photo shoots of clothing and models with the bike in the background. Hasn't been started in 5 years, the bike is physically in pristine shape and kept covered and in a heated shop. He now wants to sell it but I have my doubts it's worth much money because of it not being ran.
 
Elipten_imp said:
I would love to have had a kick starter for the rare day I wanted to relive my youth. I almost always kick started my CB360 and other bikes. When I got the BMW I missed it and it took years to get used to not having it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I often kick started my old KZ400 and KZ750. As a broke student, I found that after the battery no longer had the guts for electric starting, you could kick start for another 6 months or so before replacing it.

When the 80s rolled around I was very suspicious of bikes without kick start levers. I imagine Model T buyers of the 1920s felt the same. :D
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
I would love to have had a kick starter for the rare day I wanted to relive my youth. I almost always kick started my CB360 and other bikes. When I got the BMW I missed it and it took years to get used to not having it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I often kick started my old KZ400 and KZ750. As a broke student, I found that after the battery no longer had the guts for electric starting, you could kick start for another 6 months or so before replacing it.

When the 80s rolled around I was very suspicious of bikes without kick start levers. I imagine Model T buyers of the 1920s felt the same. :D
I often kick started my old KZ400 and KZ750. As a broke student, I found that after the battery no longer had the guts for electric starting, you could kick start for another 6 months or so before replacing it.

When the 80s rolled around I was very suspicious of bikes without kick start levers. I imagine Model T buyers of the 1920s felt the same. :D
Ohhh, you got that right. My ownership started with a Yamaha R5C; then an SR 500 on which I caught my road-rash and a ride to a medical campus in a fancy Cadillac with red lights all over it.

Once escaped from that fine institution, I briefly tried to get back in with a Kawasaki H2 Mach IV...scared me to death. Part of that was that I didn't get back on the horse fast enough after being thrown.

I was young and had plans and those didn't include being smeared all over the asphalt. I hanged up my leathers...for 22 years.

Fast forward; and I'm laid off, needing transportation and gas prices are going through the roof. I got me a Virago 250 to relearn on...shocked, SHOCKED! that it didn't have a KICK STARTER. What, I'm going to trust that little battery to run the starter? Whaddaya MEAN, you have something better than a leather jacket as body protection?

Later on, to balance out my garage of the time, along with my R1200GS (this being five years ago) I bought a lightly-used TU250. Half the size of my SR 500...NO. KICK. STARTER. Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot, over!

Well...I got over it. Fact is, I don't know if I have the muscle memory anymore to kick-start a bike...I know I'd look pretty funny at a stoplight, trying to, in a rush...
 
I haven't kick started a bike since I sold my 77 DT-250 in 79. 24 years later in '03 I'm at the Harley dealer looking to get back on a bike... I asked the salesman, when did they take kickstarters off bikes. I was serious... he answered somewhat sarcastically... oh, about 20 years ago. #%^* kid... :dodgy:
 
rocket_imp said:
I agree with nhawk7504. Honda did NOTHING to promote these bikes when they were new and we were only made aware of their existence by magazine road tests. And even those tests seemed like pathetic filler material when they didn't have the newest wiz-bang sport bike to do another " Super-Duper Comparo ". So why would any of us think they would offer a 2015 ? We can still buy 2013's !!! We certainly have 50 years of experience with the Japanese manufactures and how quick they are to discontinue anything that shows even the slightest sign of declining sales. Buy them now.
It's really a shame that Honda has not monitored this and other Forums to gain important demographic data on not only the CB1100, but other bikes that would appeal to us aging Boomers. Those of us who have bought this bike are like one big love fest. And we cannot possibly be alone in our desire to "just go out and ride a bike " . But that's not how the Japanese think. ( except for the long-running Kawasaki Concours ). Rocket
My dealer got one; the one I bought. He apparently had despaired of selling it.

I came in looking at a used BMW, which turned out to be a literal basket case...no way for me to know; and I've never done serious wrenching on a BMW...so I had to turn it down. But I like looking at new hardware; and right next to the GROM...nice cute little bike, and a REAL bike with a gearbox...right next to it was the CB.

He didn't know much about it - truthfully. His showroom models have the batteries out, so we couldn't even look to see if it was five gears or six.

So, we negotiate and he approaches what I want. I say let's do it - and he preps it. And starts it up. And goes for a three-mile ride to make sure it's all together.

And he's all grins about it. Says if he'd known it was such a sweet-running machine, he'd have ordered more, and advertised it.

But that's the story around this machine. Not unlike the Big Ruckus years ago...an interesting product, and NO advertising or promotion.
 
ride4now_imp said:
I haven't kick started a bike since I sold my 77 DT-250 in 79. 24 years later in '03 I'm at the Harley dealer looking to get back on a bike... I asked the salesman, when did they take kickstarters off bikes. I was serious... he answered somewhat sarcastically... oh, about 20 years ago. #%^* kid... :dodgy:
I still must regularly kick start my trials bikes, both modern and vintage. The fun one is the Beta as they still hold to the European tradition of putting the kick start lever on the left side of the bike.

b7c7c0f751bd3ed3791325d096c1e71f.jpg
 
Back
Top