New key won't work in ignition

jodyz_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Lost my main key along with the H&B luggage key for my bike. I've searched for nearly a week, called everywhere I may have left it... no luck. When I bought my bike a little over a year ago, I gave my wife the spare key and said, "Put this somewhere so you'll know where it is when I call and tell you that I lost my bike key." She forgot where she put the spare key (and she's currently out of the country, so she can't help me look for it).

Out of desperation, I called dealer and asked them to make me two keys. I picked them up on the way home from work. Put the key in the ignition and it refuses to turn either direction (I had left the forks unlocked the last time I had the key). The new key works in the helmet lock and the gas tank without sticking. Please tell me I didn't waste $20 on keys that won't work in my ignition. I didn't think Honda sold bikes in the US with H.I.S.S.

Tried graphite lube in the lock with no luck. :@

Any suggestions?
 
If the dealer made the keys based on your VIN then they should work in your ignition. No HISS in the US apparently. The key is probably just wrong. I bet if you compared it to your lost key (which, I realize, you can't) you would see a difference. Not sure why they work on the tank, unless the tumblers aren't identical between the two.
 
Helmet lock and tank probably use fewer notches of the key. It only takes a small error in one of the cuts to stop the key from working. They were supposed to make a working key so have them either fine tune your new keys or make them over.
 
I had my local Honda dealer make a key for my ST1100 several years ago, the dealer ended up cutting the key three times before we got one that worked. Ask your dealer to try again (at no charge).
 
I bent my key the first time I used the helmet lock, now it's hard to get in and turn. Just the slightest difference can make it not work. I'm sure the dealer will handle it.
 
Thread starter
Thanks.

I hope the dealer can tweak the key to make it work. Unfortunately, that means running back and forth (about 8 miles) since I can't bring the bike to them. Fingers crossed that the second time is the charm.
 
Have the dealer tow the bike in is an option. They are usually pretty cheap I thought the few times I had used the tow...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
It wouldn't even be outlandish to ask the dealership to pay for the tow since it's pretty much on them at this point. You did your part and bought the new keys.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
Helmet lock and tank probably use fewer notches of the key. It only takes a small error in one of the cuts to stop the key from working. They were supposed to make a working key so have them either fine tune your new keys or make them over.
The lock for the tank uses only the first 2/3 of the key.
 
How long before your wife gets back?
 
My wife doesn't put away anything that I ever want to find again. There is no logic to where she puts stuff and never puts anything back to the same place it came from......then when I ask where something is she says she never saw it. All my spare keys are in the same place and the only one that I don't know where it is is her spare car key, which she buried under a pile of crap somewhere and it will never be seen again cause she doesn't know where it is either.

But well find it someday when looking for a screwdriver or a flashlight or a checkbook or a measuring cup or a camera or a shovel or a hat.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
My wife doesn't put away anything that I ever want to find again. There is no logic to where she puts stuff and never puts anything back to the same place it came from......then when I ask where something is she says she never saw it. All my spare keys are in the same place and the only one that I don't know where it is is her spare car key, which she buried under a pile of crap somewhere and it will never be seen again cause she doesn't know where it is either.

But well find it someday when looking for a screwdriver or a flashlight or a checkbook or a measuring cup or a camera or a shovel or a hat.
:rofl: OMG what a funny post!
 
And you gave this person the spare key to your motorcycle? I hope you learned a lesson from this experience.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Elipten_imp said:
And you gave this person the spare key to your motorcycle? I hope you learned a lesson from this experience.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Heck no. I was just commenting to the OP on how I learned that lesson years ago.
 
I hope you get your key issue resolved soon so you can get back to riding. This is why my bike key is on its own key ring. If I was ever to lose it, I know that it will likely be within a fairly small search area around my bike. The spare key goes in the Tupperware bin with all the other spare keys. (BTW, I'm worried that posting this will jinx me and that I will be reporting back tomorrow that my keys are missing)
 
We keep the spare keys in the safe we have at home... That way we know where to look and in case of fire we still have the spare keys. I guess we could put them in a tupperware container in the safe also... not a bad idea. ;)
 
Yep all my spares are in one place in safe with a spare of the spare in the safety deposit box. Worked overseas for long stints, did not want to lose the keys. Wife lost her primary key and spare key as I could not be trusted with it. Guess who had no car for a few days, no me!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top