New Kawasaki 900 Retro

Oh, nice work, Kawasaki. That's a lovely looking bike.

f40593c5f1dcd6d0e37254ff34570e2f.jpg
 
Drop dead gorgeous. I'm sure some will gripe about Kawasaki opting for liquid cooling but air cooled motors are getting more difficult than ever meeting emission standards while still maintaining the performance level riders demand. Good work Kawasaki.
 
Thread starter
This rendering shows a monoshock, a decidedly non- retro feature, not sure if that's what the production version will go with, but they certainly captured the spirit of the old Z. Or at least the Zephyr.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Looks great. Should be a hit with the retro guys that want more horsepower, single shock, upside down forks.
 
Capo_imp said:
As if on cue, Kawasaki belatedly enters the retro game. Whaddaya think?

2026 Kawasaki Z900RS review: Retro looks, modern speed


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that's not quite true, since Kawa has had the W650/W800 for the past decade. A really beautiful bike, with real retro build. Sadly discontinued from next year due to Euro 4.
d87725417fdf8b6dd7dbcb610590dc18.jpg


This one is more in line with the XSR series, "retro inspired" maybe, with lots of modern design elements. Probably will be a bigger sales success than the W, judging by the success of the XSR and the Duc Scrambler. Not a huge fan of the look personally, but nice to see a non-transformers looking bike from Kawasaki.
 
Thread starter
Yes, but the W Kawasaki was a pastiche retro of a BSA or Triumph, not their own bike. I've seen people put Triumph badges on them! Lack of brand authenticity and timing held that bike from being a sales success in US, but they were lovely.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
How can that not be a hit but a retro Z1R would have been nice. I'm just not a fan of the spokes.
Suzuki needs to take notice and do a retro GS1000S.
 
alphonsus_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
As if on cue, Kawasaki belatedly enters the retro game. Whaddaya think?

2026 Kawasaki Z900RS review: Retro looks, modern speed


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that's not quite true, since Kawa has had the W650/W800 for the past decade. A really beautiful bike, with real retro build. Sadly discontinued from next year due to Euro 4.
d87725417fdf8b6dd7dbcb610590dc18.jpg


This one is more in line with the XSR series, "retro inspired" maybe, with lots of modern design elements. Probably will be a bigger sales success than the W, judging by the success of the XSR and the Duc Scrambler. Not a huge fan of the look personally, but nice to see a non-transformers looking bike from Kawasaki.
that's not quite true, since Kawa has had the W650/W800 for the past decade. A really beautiful bike, with real retro build. Sadly discontinued from next year due to Euro 4.
15a074eb3db555f5035e7d9c90485e8b.jpg

I also think besides only a 2 year run of 650's in North America and no 800's, people were put off by the retro performance of the Kawasaki's. Slower than both the Moto Guzzi 750 and the Triumph Bonneville which was retro hp king until the CB1100 came along, and a lot of people are still unimpressed with the power of the CB1100. If this Kaw puts out over 120 HP it should be mildly popular.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
alphonsus_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
As if on cue, Kawasaki belatedly enters the retro game. Whaddaya think?

2026 Kawasaki Z900RS review: Retro looks, modern speed


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that's not quite true, since Kawa has had the W650/W800 for the past decade. A really beautiful bike, with real retro build. Sadly discontinued from next year due to Euro 4.
d87725417fdf8b6dd7dbcb610590dc18.jpg


This one is more in line with the XSR series, "retro inspired" maybe, with lots of modern design elements. Probably will be a bigger sales success than the W, judging by the success of the XSR and the Duc Scrambler. Not a huge fan of the look personally, but nice to see a non-transformers looking bike from Kawasaki.
that's not quite true, since Kawa has had the W650/W800 for the past decade. A really beautiful bike, with real retro build. Sadly discontinued from next year due to Euro 4.
15a074eb3db555f5035e7d9c90485e8b.jpg

I also think besides only a 2 year run of 650's in North America and no 800's, people were put off by the retro performance of the Kawasaki's. Slower than both the Moto Guzzi 750 and the Triumph Bonneville which was retro hp king until the CB1100 came along, and a lot of people are still unimpressed with the power of the CB1100. If this Kaw puts out over 120 HP it should be mildly popular.
that's not quite true, since Kawa has had the W650/W800 for the past decade. A really beautiful bike, with real retro build. Sadly discontinued from next year due to Euro 4.
505d66371da11e97a7c54f9b8c9b9576.jpg

I also think besides only a 2 year run of 650's in North America and no 800's, people were put off by the retro performance of the Kawasaki's. Slower than both the Moto Guzzi 750 and the Triumph Bonneville which was retro hp king until the CB1100 came along, and a lot of people are still unimpressed with the power of the CB1100. If this Kaw puts out over 120 HP it should be mildly popular.
Yes, I prefer the interpretive modern retro approach a la the CB and new Thruxton, and apparently this new Kaw, more than the replica/ knockoff approach of the W. Or the 'not even a retro but an actual old bike' approach of Royal Enfield!
 
I'm not a purist. As long as the engine has fins, I'm happy. Besides the old bikes weren't just air cooled; they were air/oil cooled. You could look at it this way, the new bikes are air/water cooled (as long as they have the fins).

What I don't understand is why Kawasaki is determined to compete in the retro class when Honda can't sell its one retro in any numbers.
 
I really like the Kaw, if nothing more than for sentimental reasons. Looks like they're using the paint codes from the '73 Z1. Very nice. I like the spokes too, but I am not fond of the black rims and I think aesthetically the seat looks too thin. Is this a new engine?
 
Good points. I suppose the W never had the characteristics to be popular in the US market. While it is certainly a BSA knock-off originally, Kawasaki started making the W series in 1965, so it does have a bit of a history of its own. Kawasaki W series - Wikipedia

In Europe (and presumably in Japan?) it does have a cult following, just ask Wisedrum here who has one and loves it. Also a very popular bike platform for café/custom builds. Personally I think that 70hp, and 44lb ft @ 2,500rpm is plenty enough for a retro bike, but I know that many have differing views on that...
 
That new 900 looks great...I have found in the past that the artist rendering often looks better than the actual finished product, kinda like the Yamaha XSR900 which although a very nice bike it is not as nice as I had hoped. If it does look that good, I might have to seriously consider it. Does anyone know if the bike will be available here in the US and if so, when?
 
Thread starter
postoak_imp said:
I'm not a purist. As long as the engine has fins, I'm happy. Besides the old bikes weren't just air cooled; they were air/oil cooled. You could look at it this way, the new bikes are air/water cooled (as long as they have the fins).

What I don't understand is why Kawasaki is determined to compete in the retro class when Honda can't sell its one retro in any numbers.
Well, I do hope they market the bike better than Honda, who basically just dumped the CB1100 in dealerships. Lessons learned? And, the retro modern market is hotter than ever, perhaps Kawasaki will catch the wave at the right time, with the right bike, and the right combo of marketing and accessories. Or not, in which case there will be crated Z900's in warehouses for years to come!
 
As cool as this Z900 is, I love the idea of a reintroduced Suzuki GS1000S, in the same white-and-blue livery as before. Wonder if they'll do it?
 
This bike may look good to some, but to me it misses the retro look. Real retros didn't have paper thin passenger seats that most women over 30 would refuse to ride (not to mention the driver). There needs to be less space between the rear fender and wheel, and definitely no monoshock as this always screws up the passenger accomodations. And forget the Captain Zoom mufflers.......upswept like that means real trouble carrying even soft bags. And definitely no water cooling........everyone and his brother has a water cooled bike these days, Harleys excepted. The bikes of the 70s and 80s had good performance and they were practical. Good seats, water protection, ergo handlebars, and they just plain looked like serious motorcycles, not alien lifeforms. Hey, wait! I've got a bike like that in my garage right now. No, two, counting my 1981 GS650G, which is, as they say, real, not retro.
 
Back
Top