New Jacket

Thread starter
I took a nice long ride through the local canyons and into the foothills yesterday and wore the new jacket for the first time. The sleeve length proved to be perfect while seated on the bike! No alterations needed or desired. And, even more importantly, it was incredibly comfortable. I can only imagine how nice it's going to feel once it breaks in more.

If there's one knock I can make, it's the lack of a thermal liner. Once I made it deep into the canyons (albeit, during a high wind advisory), the cold air was making it through the jacket and things got a bit chilly. The only thing I had on underneath was a t-shirt. Poor planning on my part. Any layering for warmth has to come from other clothing as the jacket does not have an optional liner. Closer to home, the wind was calm and the jacket was perfect.

I like all the pockets on the jacket. On the outside, there are the two zippered hand warmers, a zippered chest pocket and a zippered pocket on the right forearm. I'll probably use the forearm pocket for my key. On the inside, there's a zippered chest pocket on the left, a buttoned chest pocket on the right, and two large, open-topped mesh pockets on both sides along the front-bottom of the jacket. I put my wallet in the inside chest pocket, my eyeglasses and a cap in the inside mesh pockets, my garage door opener in one of the hand warmers, and I had pockets to spare. All that and the jacket still looks sleek and hugs my body comfortably.

The look, the feel, the usefulness ... I love this jacket!
 
Nice review. Sounds like the jacket performs as good as it looks. :)

In my opinion, thermal liners are a bit of an overhyped feature for motorcycle jackets. There's a wide range of performance mid-layers that are more comfortable and which I can wear off the bike (like for running on cold days). I like the versatility of these garments over most jacket liners.

Glad you like you jacket and I'm envious of it and of the fact that you could ride today.
 
Glad the jacket suits you MG.

First thing I did on my Fox Creek was take the liner out and put it on a hanger with the other 10 liners from jackets I own. other than my winter riding coat I don't use any of the liners that come with them, like ES, I prefer to layer underneath, and then add or remove as temps dictate. I may start off with a sweatshirt under the jacket in the morning, shed the sweatshirt and put it in the tail pack mid day, and stop and put the sweatshirt back on in the evening on my way home. That's why I always carry a spare set of gloves too, usually wear the deerskin and pack either mesh in the summer, or heavy gloves in the fall. The mesh for when its above 80, the deerskin between 50 and 80 and the heavy below 50.
 
Ha! I love my fleece liners.
I even bought a "liner" jacket from Aerostich that I use for cool weather jacket (like today).
 
I never thought I'd say this but since I've been riding I's really begun to love scarves. Leather jackets block the wind really well but when you get breeze down the neck, it doesn't help much keeping you warm... Problem solved.
 
Thread starter
gossman_imp said:
MG, did you do any magic to assist in breaking in the jacket?
No magic. If there are secret black magic techniques to soften new leather jackets, I'm all ears! This jacket was so comfortable right out of the gate. I could stand to lose a few pounds and imagine if I can do that, it will feel even better.
 
Speaking of liners, can anyone suggest a good heated liner or vest?
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
gossman_imp said:
MG, did you do any magic to assist in breaking in the jacket?
No magic. If there are secret black magic techniques to soften new leather jackets, I'm all ears! This jacket was so comfortable right out of the gate. I could stand to lose a few pounds and imagine if I can do that, it will feel even better.
No magic. If there are secret black magic techniques to soften new leather jackets, I'm all ears! This jacket was so comfortable right out of the gate. I could stand to lose a few pounds and imagine if I can do that, it will feel even better.
Jackets should be a snug fit for ultimate protection. My new jacket is a bit stiff so after I made sure I was going to keep it I tossed it in the dryer with some tennis balls and ran it on zero heat for a couple of hours. It's been several weeks now and I am finding the jacket is more and more comfortable everytime I wear it. I think by 6 months this one will really be nice.
 
Been looking for a classic styling leather jacket to match the CB1100 and found it in the Joe Rocket 92 leather jacket. Local dealer had both the black and brown versions. Saw the brown and after putting it on I knew yeah this is it. Didn't come with armor but did have the pockets so I moved them from a jacket I had. It was icing on the cake when I found there's a women's version of the jacket as well so the spouse has one on the way. The fit and feel are great, very happy I took the time to look around.

http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/234/527/Leather_Jackets/Classic_'92_[Leather]
 
Nice to see brown leather coming back in style
 
Yes, I always liked the look of brown leather. The issue with Joe Rocket jackets usually is they are a slim, youthful style and not suited for those of us that have possibly expanded around the middle over the years.....
 
While I'm not lean by any means it thankfully wasn't an issue but still looking to drop 20 pounds in the next few months. Since I can't stop aging I can hopefully stop the tonnage :)
 
I just had to send back my 1yr and 4mth old Tourmaster textile jacket due to a busted zipper on the inside. The breast pocket where I keep my phone. Bummer... never had to repair a jacket before. $50.00 for the repair by Tourmaster. :@
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Yes, I always liked the look of brown leather. The issue with Joe Rocket jackets usually is they are a slim, youthful style and not suited for those of us that have possibly expanded around the middle over the years.....
I found that Joe Rocket is one of the few that offers a true xxxl in tall in some of their models. My Phoenix .5 mesh and my new leather Sonic .2 are great fits for a man of my royal dimensions ( 6'4" 327lbs ).

I'm retiring my 16 year old brown leather jacket now, it was a budget riding jacket I found that fit me pretty good and really did hold up well for the cost. I usually wore a thick leather vest under it just in case.
 
Back
Top