New Jacket

Thread starter
I figured as much. Thanks for the heads up. I'll report back once I receive it.

EDIT: Just in case I need it, I found a place not far away that does custom leather work and alterations. The San Diego Leather Factory. It has good reviews on Yelp. Hopefully, it's affordable. Hopefully, I won't need any alterations!
 
Thread starter
My jacket arrived today! It looks fantastic. The sleeves are in fact a bit long. With the sleeve zippers closed, the leather bunches some in the elbow area. Unzipped with my arms at my sides the sleeves extend down to about the major knuckles of each hand. I'm going to take it in to the leather alteration shop I found and get a quote to take the sleeves up about 1.5 to 2 inches. I really hope it's reasonably feasible to fix the sleeves. The rest of the jacket is great.
 
Good del....did you sit on the bike with it? the sleeves might not be as long as you think
 
Thread starter
I didn't actually sit on the bike but I did raise my arms as if grabbing my bars. I'll do a proper sit and assess before deciding how much to cut, if any. Thanks for the suggestion!
 
I had a pair of riding pants length altered because they piled up at my ankle. Now they look good when I am standing there, but are a wee bit short when riding lol
 
Thread starter
I threw the jacket back on and mimicked the riding position of the CB and of the VFR. I better ride both with the jacket on before I have any alterations done! It may actually work out just fine as is. Cold wrists are overrated. Plus, I'll have to borrow the ferret's pants for the sake of consistency if I go too short on the sleeves!
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I threw the jacket back on and mimicked the riding position of the CB and of the VFR. I better ride both with the jacket on before I have any alterations done! It may actually work out just fine as is. Cold wrists are overrated. Plus, I'll have to borrow the ferret's pants for the sake of consistency if I go too short on the sleeves!
Respectfully, MG, I think you should stay out of the Ferret's pants.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I threw the jacket back on and mimicked the riding position of the CB and of the VFR. I better ride both with the jacket on before I have any alterations done! It may actually work out just fine as is. Cold wrists are overrated. Plus, I'll have to borrow the ferret's pants for the sake of consistency if I go too short on the sleeves!
Respectfully, MG, I think you should stay out of the Ferret's pants.
Respectfully, MG, I think you should stay out of the Ferret's pants.
Ha! Fantastic! I'm only human Cormanus. Only human.
 
If they have to alter the sleeve length at the shoulder, it'll cost pretty considerably ($100+) so hopefully you don't have to go that route!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
grover_imp said:
If they have to alter the sleeve length at the shoulder, it'll cost pretty considerably ($100+) so hopefully you don't have to go that route!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ouch! I think that with the frunk I've developed, I'll just hang on to a pull-up bar and hope that my arms stretch instead.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
My jacket arrived today! It looks fantastic. The sleeves are in fact a bit long. With the sleeve zippers closed, the leather bunches some in the elbow area. Unzipped with my arms at my sides the sleeves extend down to about the major knuckles of each hand. I'm going to take it in to the leather alteration shop I found and get a quote to take the sleeves up about 1.5 to 2 inches. I really hope it's reasonably feasible to fix the sleeves. The rest of the jacket is great.
If by major knuckles you are referring to those that reside in the bone structure between the metacarpals and the phalanges (No, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but I did look up a diagram of the skeletal system of a hand on the web.) it sounds to me like your jacket fits perfectly for riding. Not only will your sleeves tend to ride up a bit when you're on the bike, but as your jacket sleeves develop creases the overall length will shorten up a bit as well.
 
I just bought myself a new leather riding jacket, the sleeves are right below the knuckles. Like Guth stated, they should be long so you have good coverage while riding and when the jacket breaks in they will be shorter.

The part about new leather jackets I dislike is the breakin. Can't wait for it to break in to come about but it takes time, lots of time.
 
Thread starter
Thanks gentlemen, that's exactly what I'm referring to in terms of length. I'm in no rush to alter the jacket and will see how it breaks in over time. I have a feeling it will be fine like you have suggested!
 
Too short is very annoying, but I've lived with it for years. Shirts and jackets that fit the body are always too too short in the arm. They would drag on the ground but I have matching long legs - giving me the same problem in the pant department.

sigh.
 
Yep, I would love sleeves that are too long, my jackets tend to have sleeves that are too short, although gauntlet gloves cover that gap up.
And to agree with others, motorcycle clothing is supposed to fit when you are on the bike in riding position. Also assuming the body of the jacket fits like it should, for riding the jacket should be a little tighter that your average causal jacket, don't want it blowing in the wind.
My Dainese race jacket leather is preformed for that position, arms bent and forward, while riding, I can barely tell I have it on, when I get off stand straight and lower my arms, feels like I am clothed like a gladiator or Captain America!
 
Back
Top