New Honda Rear Rack

Thought I might ask this here rather than start a new thread.
Is it possible to have a rack and the pannier supports attached at the same time? I notice they both mount behind the grab rails so there might not be enough room on the bolt to hold them.
 
When I look at both bikes, the grab handle looks like it's at a flatter angle on the '14. I wonder if the new rack is angled differently to deal with the different mount points.
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
When I look at both bikes, the grab handle looks like it's at a flatter angle on the '14. I wonder if the new rack is angled differently to deal with the different mount points.
The 2014 grab rail angle certainly is a bit flatter. Ferret mentions different attachment points. Ferret - we may need a closeup picture when your 2014 comes in. At least me.

I'm glad to hear from gheil that the 2013 rack will fit the 2014. But instead of angling upward, the rack may sit flatter on the new bike.

Mr. Tim: Check out this pannier mount by Plot:

http://www.samurider.com/?p=13318/#itemImage

You may have to file notches into the grab bar so as not to increase overall width, so it's best to send Takashi a note first.
 
CB4ME..not so much a different attachment point on the bike, but look closely at the rear mounts on the carrier itself, they are different ( for some reason)
 
MrTim_imp said:
Thought I might ask this here rather than start a new thread.
Is it possible to have a rack and the pannier supports attached at the same time? I notice they both mount behind the grab rails so there might not be enough room on the bolt to hold them.
I'm not sure I understand your question. The "grab rails" don't move when you put the rear carrier on. The rear carrier comes with four longer bolts.
 
AzBob_imp said:
MrTim_imp said:
Thought I might ask this here rather than start a new thread.
Is it possible to have a rack and the pannier supports attached at the same time? I notice they both mount behind the grab rails so there might not be enough room on the bolt to hold them.
I'm not sure I understand your question. The "grab rails" don't move when you put the rear carrier on. The rear carrier comes with four longer bolts.
Correct. And I think Mr.Tim's question was along the lines of whether those longer bolts would be long enough to add both the rack and the pannier supports.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
MrTim_imp said:
Thought I might ask this here rather than start a new thread.
Is it possible to have a rack and the pannier supports attached at the same time? I notice they both mount behind the grab rails so there might not be enough room on the bolt to hold them.
I'm not sure I understand your question. The "grab rails" don't move when you put the rear carrier on. The rear carrier comes with four longer bolts.
Correct. And I think Mr.Tim's question was along the lines of whether those longer bolts would be long enough to add both the rack and the pannier supports.
Correct. And I think Mr.Tim's question was along the lines of whether those longer bolts would be long enough to add both the rack and the pannier supports.
I guess I don't know what "_the_ pannier supports are." I was unaware Honda made pannier supports or panniers for the CB. Are we talking about an aftermarket part, or is this yet another thing we don't get to see in the U.S.?
 
AzBob_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
MrTim_imp said:
Thought I might ask this here rather than start a new thread.
Is it possible to have a rack and the pannier supports attached at the same time? I notice they both mount behind the grab rails so there might not be enough room on the bolt to hold them.
I'm not sure I understand your question. The "grab rails" don't move when you put the rear carrier on. The rear carrier comes with four longer bolts.
Correct. And I think Mr.Tim's question was along the lines of whether those longer bolts would be long enough to add both the rack and the pannier supports.
Correct. And I think Mr.Tim's question was along the lines of whether those longer bolts would be long enough to add both the rack and the pannier supports.
I guess I don't know what "_the_ pannier supports are." I was unaware Honda made pannier supports or panniers for the CB. Are we talking about an aftermarket part, or is this yet another thing we don't get to see in the U.S.?
I assumed he was talking about aftermarket. Honda only does a top box for the CB1100 that fits their rack (not in the U.S., of course).
 
Flynrider_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
MrTim_imp said:
Thought I might ask this here rather than start a new thread.
Is it possible to have a rack and the pannier supports attached at the same time? I notice they both mount behind the grab rails so there might not be enough room on the bolt to hold them.
I'm not sure I understand your question. The "grab rails" don't move when you put the rear carrier on. The rear carrier comes with four longer bolts.
Correct. And I think Mr.Tim's question was along the lines of whether those longer bolts would be long enough to add both the rack and the pannier supports.
Correct. And I think Mr.Tim's question was along the lines of whether those longer bolts would be long enough to add both the rack and the pannier supports.
Yes Flynrider, that is what I was getting at.
The "pannier supports" I'm talking about are the chrome U-shaped brackets that CB4ME posted a link to. These attach to the bike with the same bolts that the Honda rear rack does, so I was wondering if the bolts will be long enough to support both the rack and the pannier brackets.

In any case I ended up purchasing the rack and my bike came with the brackets so I'll give it a try and post the results on here in about a week or so.
 
Back
Top