New Honda ECU Software, Idle Issues and a Re-Flashed ECU

Thread starter
I've been speaking to my Honda dealer and it seems there is newly released ECU Software from Honda, to fix the unstable Idle Problem.

I've had the idle problem and I'm quite keen to get it fixed but I've had the ECU re-flashed by Guhl Motors and I'm wondering what effect the new Honda Software will have.

I've sent Guhl Motors an email and maybe they will be aware of the new Honda Software and what it does.

Anyone here have any experience of this?

There is the possibility that the new Honda Software will wipe the Guhl settings, which I really don't want.

It may also be possible to then have the Honda re-written ECU re-flashed by Guhl. Hopefully possible but potentially costly.

Best outcome would be if the new Honda Software only changes the parameters that need tweeking on the ECU and leaves all the Gulh tweeked stuff well alone... Wishful thinking possibly and I'm not sure I want to find out by having it done.

I'll let you know what Guhl Motors comes back with as I guess there must be a few people on here with the same problem...

best
 
I would find it hard to believe Honda has a bulletin on this issue since its such a small percentage of owners with this issue. I would ask the dealer for a bulletin, I believe its just new parameters for the new model year and not a fix at all.

My guess is if Honda does a reflash of your ECU it will be a total re-write of the ECU. There not going to go in and just change certain parameters.
 
CIP57_imp said:
I would find it hard to believe Honda has a bulletin on this issue since its such a small percentage of owners with this issue. I would ask the dealer for a bulletin, I believe its just new parameters for the new model year and not a fix at all.

My guess is if Honda does a reflash of your ECU it will be a total re-write of the ECU. There not going to go in and just change certain parameters.
That's exactly correct. Honda technicians don't care what you did, they aren't trained to surgically modify an ECU, they just wipe it and load the current version, which replaces everything. And they couldn't do anything else anyway, it's got to be back to OEM specs.

Your best bet is to call Don rather than email him, that what I was told when dealing with them.

If nothing has changed with his services I believe he would reflash your ECU back to the way he originally did it, but would examine it for changes and make sure the Honda updates were intact.

I say this because my understanding was that if you changed anything on your bike, such as a new pipe or some other performance mod that required another flash update, his policy was he'd update your ECU free of charge. That may have changed, but I doubt it.

I wonder what this means in light of the oil temperature sensor revelations?
 
One of these might work: OBD Tool (OBD) - HealTech Electronics Ltd.

I have one, but haven't plugged it into my CB yet. I've just connected it to the PC and made sure it would communicate with it. It reads a LOT of parameters and might show the ECU software Rev. level, but I can't remember. I'll have to check sometime.
 
I fired up the Healtech program for the ODB reader. I did not have the tool hooked up to the bike or the PC, but the program has example files.

I opened the one for a 2008 CB600F, Normal run. For the ECM is just shows: ECM ID: 01 00 39 01 01

I don't know how to decode those. All I would be able to do with my bike is read the ECM ID, get the Honda reflash and read it again and see if there is a difference.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
CIP57_imp said:
I would find it hard to believe Honda has a bulletin on this issue since its such a small percentage of owners with this issue. I would ask the dealer for a bulletin, I believe its just new parameters for the new model year and not a fix at all.

My guess is if Honda does a reflash of your ECU it will be a total re-write of the ECU. There not going to go in and just change certain parameters.
That's exactly correct. Honda technicians don't care what you did, they aren't trained to surgically modify an ECU, they just wipe it and load the current version, which replaces everything. And they couldn't do anything else anyway, it's got to be back to OEM specs.

Your best bet is to call Don rather than email him, that what I was told when dealing with them.

If nothing has changed with his services I believe he would reflash your ECU back to the way he originally did it, but would examine it for changes and make sure the Honda updates were intact.

I say this because my understanding was that if you changed anything on your bike, such as a new pipe or some other performance mod that required another flash update, his policy was he'd update your ECU free of charge. That may have changed, but I doubt it.

I wonder what this means in light of the oil temperature sensor revelations?
Hi Ulvetanna - can you please point me to a link about these revelations? I don't believe I've heard a thing about this, and found nothing by searching...? Thanks much!
 
Kvdv, check out this thread. Ulvetanna referenced it the other day. EOT Sensor

Kmoney had an EOT sensor problem.
 
Thread starter
Motogeezer, I think the idle prob only effects 2014 EX and DLX models. Seems Europe and Asia had the most of those models. I had the prob before and after the re-flash. Others have it and haven't had thier ECU flashed. Nothing to do with the re-flash, I'm sure.

It must be something that was changed for that model year that's causing the prob.
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
I always had Don reply to my emails in a timely fashion.
Fortunately have never had any idle issues, before or after the flash.
That's good to know; I'm talking several years ago, when people used to talk on the phone more, lol. Heard he's got a new facility now, too, with more staff and so on. Very good folks there, he was one of the very first to develop this stuff.
 
When I read the news here in the forum about a new ECU Software, I contacted the general department of Honda in my country and laid down my problem, to find out, if it's true or not.

My Honda sometimes raises the idle speed up to 1.500u/min although the engine is warm. For me it
is quite too often and I wonder since a few month what is going on. The CB never showed that phenomen before over 28.000km in all seasons of the year.

Today I recieved a message on my answering machine, which tells my as the technician explains,
there is first no ECU update on the market and second the eprom of the ECU is not programable, it is a fixed system. And furthermore there is nothing wrong with the raised idle.

I guess his answering the third point is not in full conscious of my real problem, because he put it
in relation to a cold machine.

So tomorow I'm gonna ring him up and try to
discuss this topic from person to person
to gain more understanding on both sides.

Wisedrum
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
When I read the news here in the forum about a new ECU Software, I contacted the general department of Honda in my country and laid down my problem, to find out, if it's true or not.

My Honda sometimes raises the idle speed up to 1.500u/min although the engine is warm. For me it
is quite too often and I wonder since a few month what is going on. The CB never showed that phenomen before over 28.000km in all seasons of the year.

Today I recieved a message on my answering machine, which tells my as the technician explains,
there is first no ECU update on the market and second the eprom of the ECU is not programable, it is a fixed system. And furthermore there is nothing wrong with the raised idle.

I guess his answering the third point is not in full conscious of my real problem, because he put it
in relation to a cold machine.

So tomorow I'm gonna ring him up and try to
discuss this topic from person to person
to gain more understanding on both sides.

Wisedrum
EPROM, so no reflash possible? Yes, I see where this is going. You will need to buy a "race" ECU to get the ability to reflash/reprogram. Bikes like the CB1100 will never have a race ECU available, as do many sportbikes (production race bikes like the CBR1000RR).

However, I wonder if he is correct. It does seem that this arrangement would preclude any adjustment after the ECU is installed. In that case a new ECU would be required for any warranty or update work involving the program.
 
Back
Top