New Fork Brace

Uncle Sixer

First service completed
Thread starter
So... my fork brace got here today.  It is very generic, comes from SFriding, I am a little embarrassed to say I found it on Amazon, but it was only $80 and I figured if it was a piece of junk I would just send it back.

Well, it is more robust than it looked in the pictures and the tolerances seemed excellent so I went ahead and mounted it... and then it has been raining most of the rest of the day.  I didn't take time to weigh it, but it is light enough I am not going to care.  

I figured I would post a picture.  

Only problem is now the back end is jealous of the front end Al treatment and I just found out about the Over Racing Al swingarm for our bikes (but man, that's a lot of loot).

[attachment=441]

[attachment=442]
 

Attachments

  • 20250714_130017.webp
    20250714_130017.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
  • 20250714_130039.webp
    20250714_130039.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
I also have a fork brace (SuperBrace), and I believe it has helped motorcycle handling at all speeds and reducing brake squeal. Sadly, SuperBrace is no more, but the impact of their good work can be felt every time I ride.

Congrats on finding a fork brace that will fit. It is becoming more difficult to source one! David

zlr5ZUr.jpeg
 
Very cool fork brace.  but I went for more retro look.  put fork gaiters on.  I suspect with fork gaiters on, a fork brace won't also fit on as well.  but either fork brace sure look cool.  congrats!
-tdbru
 
Six,

I like your new fork brace. It appears to be a close copy of the Agras brace that I have. I think you will be happy!
 
Thread starter
I got a good 2 hour ride in on the new fork brace today.  Honestly, prob not much of a difference at the speeds and forces I am turning with right now.  I have been away from riding for about 15 years, so although I had a lot of experience back in the day, I am not riding the way I did in my 20s (for a lot of reasons).

But, I do think a 500lb motorcycle should have more than just a fender bridging the fork sliders down there, so even if it is just psychological, I like having it on.  Hopefully as I get more new miles behind me my lean angle confidence continues to improve.

For anyone looking for a brace, I would recommend this one from SFriding.  It fits very precisely and appears to be well-engineered.  The Al is thick enough that I have confidence it will eliminate flex within reason.  Weight is decent, hardware is solid.

Last thing...  I pulled over for a moment to get this fellow off the hot pavement...[attachment=470][attachment=471]
 

Attachments

  • 20250717_110821.webp
    20250717_110821.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
  • 20250717_110832.webp
    20250717_110832.webp
    768.4 KB · Views: 54
Can you post a link for the brace?
 
Uncle Sixer said:
..........................
Last thing...  I pulled over for a moment to get this fellow off the hot pavement...

 you did a good job!!
 
Yeah, I think the fork specs are the same.


I will say I too have come across turtles in the road in the rural part of our city. But they were snapping turtles and I’m not helping them do anything. YMMV :)
 
Thread starter
Yes, the link from Lord Popgun is identical to the one I have...

I hadn't even noticed that the description was for '12 and '13....  Seems like an absolutely perfect fit to me...
 
Uncle Sixer said:
I got a good 2 hour ride in on the new fork brace today.  Honestly, prob not much of a difference at the speeds and forces I am turning with right now.  I have been away from riding for about 15 years, so although I had a lot of experience back in the day, I am not riding the way I did in my 20s (for a lot of reasons).

But, I do think a 500lb motorcycle should have more than just a fender bridging the fork sliders down there, so even if it is just psychological, I like having it on.  Hopefully as I get more new miles behind me my lean angle confidence continues to improve.

For anyone looking for a brace, I would recommend this one from SFriding.  It fits very precisely and appears to be well-engineered.  The Al is thick enough that I have confidence it will eliminate flex within reason.  Weight is decent, hardware is solid.

Last thing...  I pulled over for a moment to get this fellow off the hot pavement...

You meet the nicest people on a Honda. Very kind of you. :)

Nice looking brace and emotionally comforting. You did well! David
 
Uncle Sixer,
where the fork clamps fit,  how much room, if any, on your '14, to slide them down before you get off of the cylindrical part where they are now and down to the taper part.  I have fork gaiters on, and so wouldn't be able to mount them as high as you did.  but if they'll slide down 7-8mm (about 1/4") and still be holding onto the cylindrical part of the fork, they just might work for me.
thanks,
tdbru
 
Thread starter
tdbru said:
Uncle Sixer,
where the fork clamps fit,  how much room, if any, on your '14, to slide them down before you get off of the cylindrical part where they are now and down to the taper part.  I have fork gaiters on, and so wouldn't be able to mount them as high as you did.  but if they'll slide down 7-8mm (about 1/4") and still be holding onto the cylindrical part of the fork, they just might work for me.
thanks,
tdbru

I am not near my motorcycle right now, will be several days, actually, but I will try to take close-up pics and share measurements when I can
 
Thread starter
tdbru said:
Uncle Sixer,
where the fork clamps fit,  how much room, if any, on your '14, to slide them down before you get off of the cylindrical part where they are now and down to the taper part.  I have fork gaiters on, and so wouldn't be able to mount them as high as you did.  but if they'll slide down 7-8mm (about 1/4") and still be holding onto the cylindrical part of the fork, they just might work for me.
thanks,
tdbru

I got a tape measure and camera out to show you what I have... I don't think you would be able to mount these as low as you would like on the fork sliders because there would be interference with the fender.  When I mounted them, I folded a piece of newspaper like 6 or 7 times to use as a spacer off the fender, so that has less than 1/8 inch clearance there (in the picture it looks like it is almost touching).  As for the sliders, yes, there is room there as you can see in the pictures, but unless you modified the fork brace in some way I just don't see it working for you...

I thought my horns looked a little crooked... looking at their reflection in the fender in that first picture I would say I was right.
 

Attachments

  • 20250802_143409.webp
    20250802_143409.webp
    318.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20250802_143447.webp
    20250802_143447.webp
    283.9 KB · Views: 30
Uncle Sixer said:
tdbru said:
Uncle Sixer,
where the fork clamps fit,  how much room, if any, on your '14, to slide them down before you get off of the cylindrical part where they are now and down to the taper part.  I have fork gaiters on, and so wouldn't be able to mount them as high as you did.  but if they'll slide down 7-8mm (about 1/4") and still be holding onto the cylindrical part of the fork, they just might work for me.
thanks,
tdbru

I got a tape measure and camera out to show you what I have... I don't think you would be able to mount these as low as you would like on the fork sliders because there would be interference with the fender.  When I mounted them, I folded a piece of newspaper like 6 or 7 times to use as a spacer off the fender, so that has less than 1/8 inch clearance there (in the picture it looks like it is almost touching).  As for the sliders, yes, there is room there as you can see in the pictures, but unless you modified the fork brace in some way I just don't see it working for you...

I thought my horns looked a little crooked... looking at their reflection in the fender in that first picture I would say I was right.

You probably ought to replace your seals.
 
Thread starter
Whoops said:
Uncle Sixer said:
tdbru said:
Uncle Sixer,
where the fork clamps fit,  how much room, if any, on your '14, to slide them down before you get off of the cylindrical part where they are now and down to the taper part.  I have fork gaiters on, and so wouldn't be able to mount them as high as you did.  but if they'll slide down 7-8mm (about 1/4") and still be holding onto the cylindrical part of the fork, they just might work for me.
thanks,
tdbru

I got a tape measure and camera out to show you what I have... I don't think you would be able to mount these as low as you would like on the fork sliders because there would be interference with the fender.  When I mounted them, I folded a piece of newspaper like 6 or 7 times to use as a spacer off the fender, so that has less than 1/8 inch clearance there (in the picture it looks like it is almost touching).  As for the sliders, yes, there is room there as you can see in the pictures, but unless you modified the fork brace in some way I just don't see it working for you...

I thought my horns looked a little crooked... looking at their reflection in the fender in that first picture I would say I was right.

You probably ought to replace your seals.
Yes, I have been looking at them and thinking about fork service this winter... but the visible part is really just a dust wiper, right?  Actual seals are under them?  That's the way it is on my mountain bikes.  There has been no weeping.  

But I have a gold valve thingy to put on and play with now, too, so I might as well get the whole thing freshened-up.
 
Thanks for the photos and the measurements Uncle Sixer. Looks like I have to choose between a fork brace or gaiters. Since gaiters are already on, that's the call for me.
-tdbru
 
Back
Top