New Farkles

BigSky_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Just installed the Puig 0869H fly screen, (results to be determined) and the Stach Box on the back, nice fit on both items.

 
I hope you have a more positive result than me BigSky. Fitted mine 2 weeks ago but after a couple of rides it's back in the box. The wind buffeting it caused me, made my ride unpleasant. I'm 5' 10" and tested it with 3 helmets, Schuberth R1, C2 and J1, none worked for me. As it only cost 1/3 price of a Dart I'm going to cut it down to the same size to see if that works.
 
Thread starter
marvincon_imp said:
I hope you have a more positive result than me BigSky. Fitted mine 2 weeks ago but after a couple of rides it's back in the box. The wind buffeting it caused me, made my ride unpleasant. I'm 5' 10" and tested it with 3 helmets, Schuberth R1, C2 and J1, none worked for me. As it only cost 1/3 price of a Dart I'm going to cut it down to the same size to see if that works.
Yeah Marv, just took it for a 30 mile high speed spin, not very impressed, good bit of buffeting, from high chest up. Think I will probably send it back too.
 
We discovered early the max height for buffetless height of a windshield is 10" above the ign switch. We cut a lot of shields in the beginning finding that out lol
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
We discovered early the max height for buffetless height of a windshield is 10" above the ign switch. We cut a lot of shields in the beginning finding that out lol
I've went through most of the threads, and it seems people are most happy with the Samurider cowling/screen $$$. I'm one of those that prefer to learn from others mistakes. http://cb1100forum.com/forum/images/smilies/biker.gif Just packed up the Puig, to send back to Amazon, now I wonder.....
 
There is an 80 page thread on the Honda CB500X Forum on wind screens. Most riders have found that the straighter the wind screen is mounted, the more buffeting and wind noise they encounter. There is a reason most car windshields are sloped backwards.
 
I'm 6'3"...the 3-4 shielded bikes I've test ridden just force the flow of air right at my face / forehead. No shields for me.
 
I trailered it back from just west of St. Louis, MO on March 18th from another forum user who had posted it for sale in Feb. I bought it as you see it (fairing, luggage rack, engine guards).
 
The fairing is a Road Comet by Chic Design. Most of us got them from samurider.com There are 2 models, the 1 and the 2

The one on Stateboy's bike is a RC2
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The fairing is a Road Comet by Chic Design. Most of us got them from samurider.com There are 2 models, the 1 and the 2

The one on Stateboy's bike is a RC2
That would be correct Popgun. I mentioned to Big Sky in a pm that I would part with it if he's interested since I like the larger screens. It looks great but I like the Plexistar 2 I've seen on some of the bikes on the forum.
 
stateboy_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The fairing is a Road Comet by Chic Design. Most of us got them from samurider.com There are 2 models, the 1 and the 2

The one on Stateboy's bike is a RC2
That would be correct Popgun. I mentioned to Big Sky in a pm that I would part with it if he's interested since I like the larger screens. It looks great but I like the Plexistar 2 I've seen on some of the bikes on the forum.
Would this be the Plexistar?

 
Nortoon_imp said:
stateboy_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The fairing is a Road Comet by Chic Design. Most of us got them from samurider.com There are 2 models, the 1 and the 2

The one on Stateboy's bike is a RC2
That would be correct Popgun. I mentioned to Big Sky in a pm that I would part with it if he's interested since I like the larger screens. It looks great but I like the Plexistar 2 I've seen on some of the bikes on the forum.
Would this be the Plexistar?
Would this be the Plexistar? Yes, I believe so. I know it's been discussed extensively about what the right height above the ignition switch should be (about "10). However, I had a fairing similar to the Plexistar 2 on an '83 CM450E that gave me quite a bit of protection.

I leave the idea open to sell the RC2 currently on the bike. If it sells, then I get the P2. I guess I have to make the effort to ever see the switch happen. I like the color match but too small for me.
 
well the other end of the spectrum is, buffeting will be eliminated if the shield is tall enough that you just peer over it or through it. And that's probably what the plexistar 2 provides. It's the in between the 10" and the say, 22" height of shield, that causes the wind to hit you wrong.
 
The ferret_imp said:
well the other end of the spectrum is, buffeting will be eliminated if the shield is tall enough that you just peer over it or through it. And that's probably what the plexistar 2 provides. It's the in between the 10" and the say, 22" height of shield, that causes the wind to hit you wrong.
I enjoyed reading the multicut process you went through to find what worked best for you. Not being as seasoned a rider as many are on the forum, I'm just not sure I enjoy fresh air hitting my head but not my chest. At 5'9", I have a lot of wind noise in the same helmet as compared to when I was on my Honda 450 with the larger fairing.

I'm taking my time to aggressively look to switch out my fairing. Right now, I'm learning a lot just reading previous posts to educate myself not only on the CB 1100 but motorcycling in general. Everyone seems to have a considerable amount to offer in their own way, even when there are disagreements. It allows different avenues of thought for me to explore on my end.

Now... let's tune back in to our regularly scheduled BigSky Farkles programming.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
stateboy_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The fairing is a Road Comet by Chic Design. Most of us got them from samurider.com There are 2 models, the 1 and the 2

The one on Stateboy's bike is a RC2
That would be correct Popgun. I mentioned to Big Sky in a pm that I would part with it if he's interested since I like the larger screens. It looks great but I like the Plexistar 2 I've seen on some of the bikes on the forum.
Would this be the Plexistar?
Would this be the Plexistar?
I don't think so. That looks more like the Street Shield. The Plexi 2 extends out to the handlebars and is a bit taller.

9b21c44685b33b959fa49217567d4c85.jpeg
 
I believe it was CIP who started the cut down windshield craze, I just followed his lead.
 
Back
Top