New EX on the Way!

LR, that ‘little 350 twin’ was almost a mid-sized bike when I started out. Great engine.
 
Cormanus, close, but not immaculate. Either the pipes are aftermarket, or they're missing their heat shields. The OE pipes have been unobtanium for decades.
 
I stand corrected, LR.

MTC! Behave! :D
 
Cormanus_imp said:
LR, that ‘little 350 twin’ was almost a mid-sized bike when I started out. Great engine.
Absolutely correct. My uncle had a '73 CB350G, with the front disk brake. Only two Honda models were larger at the time (CB550, CB750).

Edit: Oops, I forgot about the CB450. So did a lot of buyers.
 
A mate of mine had an older CB350 that he kept modding. It was a great workhorse. It once towed my Suzuki T250 through the night after it spat a spark plug.

He replaced it with a brand new CB500 (I don’t think the CB550 had been made or, at least imported to Aus) which was the bike, perhaps more than the CB750, that started my love affair with Honda’s in-line fours.
 
That green was the color my dad had. Mine was red (big surprise lol). I also had a brand new 69 CB350 twin which I felt was actually a superior running bike as compared to the CB350F.
 
My congratulations also Cookiemech . You'll love this engine . Some years ago I thought 2 cylinders were more than enough for a motorcycle . But if you pursue excellence and finesse , an i4 is at least a must. And of course RLETS is a must...
 
Thread starter
Guess I'm gonna have to find out what RLETS are . . .

I've always preferred twins and have had lot of them (CB450; XS650 Yamaha; 1970, 1979, 1981 Bonnevilles; Moto Guzzi V50-III and Cal Aluminium; BMW R75/6, R80RT, R1100RT; Laverda 750 SF I (though I never rode it); H-D Road King (2007 and 2017), Electra Glide Ultra, Road Glide Ultra).

I resisted the "weird" three-cylinder BMW K bikes for years, because of course "real" BMWs have two cylinders. However, I bought a K75 (used) in 2001 and love it (still have it) and followed with a K75RT in 2003 (still have it). Superb engineering and build quality.

And of course a single-cylinder bike (KLR 650) had to come in here somewhere. Wonderful, comfortable, flexible bike; it's a keeper.

So I'm looking forward to a four!

P. S. Just studied RLETS . . . I'm not sure I've ever seen (or noticed) them on the hundreds of old CBs I've encountered. But I absolutely DO remember something on Schwinn Sting-Rays like that!
 
cookiemech

look closely at the picture in this report from Honda explaining the thought process behind the design of CB1100. It shows two of the most glorious CB's of the past, the world changing CB750 (blue bike in front) and the stunning CB400F (red bike in rear). Look at the levers on both. Look closely at the design clues shared by the bikes, 4 cyl motors, round gauges, round headlight, round mirrors, chrome fenders, dual chrome rear shocks, flat seat..and RLET's.

Honda Motor Co.,Ltd.|Honda Global Corporate Website

why Honda failed to put them on the CB1100 at the factory is a mystery to me, but it's an easy $6 fix. Then the CB1100 will look like a true classic CB Honda.
 
mickey, yep, now I recall where I've seen those RLETs before: on Schwinn bicycles, just like people here are saying. lol

I'm sitting here looking at the pic you provided of the old CBs. That aqua one is so beautiful, and the red is a stunner. I noticed something about them, though, which prompted me to go look up pictures of your '14 Deluxe, and it became clear to me. Your bike has a lot of black pieces in and around the cockpit. The headlight shell and the instrument cluster are black, so the RLETs tend to go better with them. On the new '17 EX everything black was replaced with chrome, so now the RLETs don't complete the look. They don't match. Rather, they stick out like a sore thumb.

So, okay, on your bike and those old classics, I can see going with the RLETs, but not on the new one, and I still don't understand why Honda didn't see fit to include them as standard on yours, the '13, or the '14 Standard.
 
well my particular dlx has the color matched headlight bucket and chrome covers for back of the inst covers.

dc68038080576a46e1a2ec1e4b619c16.jpg


also fork gaiters

9728188990385007df192833c953dc0e.jpg


old school baby!
 
Thread starter
Oh, I'll install fork gaiters (not just for the looks, but to protect the tubes; I did so on both of my K75s).

Do RLETS deteriorate rapidly, or did owners remove them? I swear I've never noticed them on CBs of the 1970s.
 
The right fork gaiters (either factory Triumph or Factory KAwasaki) and real oem RLETs will last for decades.

Every CB Honda produced from about late 60s to early 80s came with RLET's. Can't believe you never noticed them, they were on literally millions of CB Hondas.
 
My dealer used to have a 305 Dream on the floor for display and it had the original RLETS on it.
 
You are selling the Moto Guzzi? Pray tell why?

You will notice the difference when you twist the throttle, the torquey "snap" of the Goose will be replaced with a silky smooth acceleration that you won't feel near as much, but your tach and speedo will tell you differently.
 
Thread starter
DaSwami_imp said:
You are selling the Moto Guzzi? Pray tell why?

You will notice the difference when you twist the throttle, the torquey "snap" of the Goose will be replaced with a silky smooth acceleration that you won't feel near as much, but your tach and speedo will tell you differently.
It's a 2003 Aluminium with 6600 (hundred, not thousand) miles on it that I bought in July 2014 from the "original" owner (in quotes because the first owner was his brother, who put 225 miles on it). I bought it because it was so darn gorgeous; perfect, really. I researched everything on this particular bike and found it had not had the PI Cam Update done, so I fortunately found a competent MG shop to do the work (Europa Macchina in Lewisberry, PA).

Anyway, it had 2869 miles when I bought it and so I've put about 3800 miles on it. It just doesn't turn me on in any way. I wanted to like it, really I did. But it's not comfortable for me, even after installing IKON shocks (adjustable, unlike the originals) and a Harper's MG "high" seat. The utterly unfathomable gearing (like, I'm spending all my time in second and third gear) is the nail in the coffin. Can't get into fifth gear below 80 mph.

I like my Harley touring bikes very much, as well as my old BMW K-bikes. I like my KLR. A Harley rider I recently met has fallen in love with the Moto Guzzi and is planning to buy it, even though I have pointed out what isn't great about it.

Also, last year I worked hard to reduce my fleet of bikes from eight to six, and I'm not going back up . . .
 
For me that's an issue with a lot of Euro bikes. They just don't like running at less than 4000 rpms. If you are a "lugger" and not a "revver" type rider, it can just drive you nuts. I have ridden Guzzi's and Beemers and that is pretty much the norm. My son's Ducati is like that as well..why put a 5th or 6th gear on it if you have to be on the autobahn to use it?
 
Back
Top