New EX on the Way!

cookiemech

Running like a top
Thread starter
Not like I need another bike . . . but I found someone who REALLY wants to buy my Moto Guzzi (so I can keep the motorcycle count at six, not more). On Thursday I called the salesman (think he's actually sales manager; not sure) who sold me a KLR some years ago and told him I was interested in a 2017 EX. He had sold the one I sat on a couple of months ago, but said that he'd have no problem getting one from the Honda warehouse.

It's supposed to be here some time near the end of January (not generally good riding weather in southwestern Pennsylvania). I think maybe it's good to have something to look forward to at this time of year . . . rather than the immediate gratification of picking it up in May . . .

I do not believe I've ever even ridden an inline four during the 39 years I've been riding and roughly 400K miles. Seems to me that in 1979 or 1980 my friend was riding the 1976 CB750 owned by his uncle, but I doubt that with only a year or two of (untrained) riding experience, I would have ridden a big bike like that.

My first bike was a beautiful cherry red and chrome 1971 CB450; think it's time to have another pretty Honda! I have a tankbag and factory service manual on order and I'll wait until I have the bike to see what else it needs to fit me properly.

This forum has a lot to do with pushing me over the edge to actually buy one; well done!
 
Congrats Cookiemech! Keep us informed, please.
 
cookiemech_imp said:
Not like I need another bike . . . but I found someone who REALLY wants to buy my Moto Guzzi (so I can keep the motorcycle count at six, not more). On Thursday I called the salesman (think he's actually sales manager; not sure) who sold me a KLR some years ago and told him I was interested in a 2017 EX. He had sold the one I sat on a couple of months ago, but said that he'd have no problem getting one from the Honda warehouse.

It's supposed to be here some time near the end of January (not generally good riding weather in southwestern Pennsylvania). I think maybe it's good to have something to look forward to at this time of year . . . rather than the immediate gratification of picking it up in May . . .

I do not believe I've ever even ridden an inline four during the 39 years I've been riding and roughly 400K miles. Seems to me that in 1979 or 1980 my friend was riding the 1976 CB750 owned by his uncle, but I doubt that with only a year or two of (untrained) riding experience, I would have ridden a big bike like that.

My first bike was a beautiful cherry red and chrome 1971 CB450; think it's time to have another pretty Honda! I have a tankbag and factory service manual on order and I'll wait until I have the bike to see what else it needs to fit me properly.

This forum has a lot to do with pushing me over the edge to actually buy one; well done!
Quote:My first bike was a beautiful cherry red and chrome 1971 CB450; think it's time to have another pretty Honda!

:huh:
 
Straight twin DOHC
 
There was a CB that was a Twin, not an I-4?

Hmmm. Never knew that.

Ummmm...never mind!

:blush::blush::blush:

Holy crap, I just looked up my first bike, that old Honda CB400A Hawk Hondamatic. That thing was a Twin, too, and I never even knew it!

:blush::blush::blush:
:blush::blush::blush:
:blush::blush::blush:

Wow. All this time, I thought all CBs were inline Fours. I thought 'CB' was Honda's model designation for an I-4, by definition.

Eeash.

Learn something new every day.
 
Come for the fun...stay for the education! ;)
 
In 73 they actually made a CB350 I-4. Must have been some thimble sized pistons.

I had a chance to buy one recently but I was looking for a 2 stroke and passed.

Welcome to the forum cookiemech. Hope you love the bike!
 
I had a 73 CB 350Four as did my dad.His was a 74. I think Rboe has or had one too. From 75-77 Honda also made the CB 400F. That's the one with the snaky 4 into 1 the 2013 CB1100's pipes were modeled after.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I had a 73 CB 350Four as did my dad.His was a 74. I think Rboe has or had one too. From 75-77 Honda also made the CB 400F. That's the one with the snaky 4 into 1 the 2013 CB1100's pipes were modeled after.
My wife has a purty cherry '75 CB400F, I can't wait for the weather to be warm enough for her so we can ride our two red CBs together!
 
Congratulations cookiemech. Enjoy the new bike.
 
I owned a 73 CB350 four while I was in College in Olympia Washington. A true 12 month riding season. It redlined at 10,000rpms. I rode that bike to Fort St John on the Alcan Highway, up the Frasier River on #97. What a balls to the wall ride!
Congrats on the new bike cookiemech. I just bought a new 2014 late this fall. I'm near Oil City in Pa. We should get together this spring. You'll love a honda 4.
 
use2b_imp said:
Honda CB's came in single , Twin , 4 and 6 cylinders
Not only that, but a few of those models also came in CL (mild scrambler), SL ("motosport," or mild on-road/off-road) and XL variants (later version of SL). Same engine, different packaging.

We never saw a SLX (think CBX in ADV garb). That bike would probably sell today lol.
 
LR, did Honda ever make an I-4 CL, XL, or SL?
 
Nope, not to my knowledge, at least not in the U.S. But they certainly stuffed that little 350 twin into a bunch of different looks (CB, CL, SL).

BTW, the CB's, CL's, SL's and XL's all had RLET's. It was the 70's, after all.
 
By the way, here’s a picture of an immaculate CB350 four I saw last year. Complete, it is to be noted, with Rubber Lever End Thingies.

96f0785c15ec791c6ab5d75219ffe941.jpg
 
Back
Top