new Corbin

wiredgeorge_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
On the stock seat, 50 miles was getting painful. Sliding onto the tank and a screaming tailbone really diminished the fun of riding my CB1100A! $400 plus shipping and a month of waiting and my new Corbin seat arrives. First day I had a chance to ride it I was able to ride over 8 hours with NO PAIN.

Foliks asked me to post a couple pics after the seat was put on so after drinking an A&W root beer at the general store in Rio Medina, took a couple and they are posted below:



 
That right there is one fine looking seat!
 
MikeOxbig_imp said:
Nice looking seat. Am I the only one that thinks the stock is extremely comfortable??
I thought the stock seat was comfortable until I spent 8 hrs on it. The way it narrows and gets thinner towards the front tends to shift you forward as the miles go by. About 5 hrs was my limit on the stock seat. I'm really liking my wide, flat Tiros-K seat on those long days.
 
Thread starter
4 Paws_imp said:
The red welt looks great!
I talked with Chip Beck before ordering and decided to get the welt since it cost nothing extra as well as the pockets for the backrests although I will never buy one. If I sell the seat, the potential buyer may want a backrest or a passenger backrest and this seemed to add some potential value to the seat for no additional cost.

I could ride about 50 miles and then the stock seat began to HURT. Now I can ride all day with no pain. MONEY WELL SPENT. If your stock seat doesn't bother you, GREAT! All out tails are shaped different. On one of the forums I belong to where Goldwings are discussed, folks can spend $1000 or more on a custom seat and think it is money very well spent because of the increased comfort. My wife and I have no issues with the stock Goldwing seat and find it comfy... I just sold a Can-Am Spyder and the stock seat was super comfy for me and the missus and test drove a Spyder with a Corbin (over $1000 with all the gee-gaws) and found it horrible. poorly shaped and slippery. Why can't some bike manufacturers build a seat that works for almost everybody? Guess it is the difference in tail shape.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
MikeOxbig_imp said:
Nice looking seat. Am I the only one that thinks the stock is extremely comfortable??
I thought the stock seat was comfortable until I spent 8 hrs on it. The way it narrows and gets thinner towards the front tends to shift you forward as the miles go by. About 5 hrs was my limit on the stock seat. I'm really liking my wide, flat Tiros-K seat on those long days.
I thought the stock seat was comfortable until I spent 8 hrs on it. The way it narrows and gets thinner towards the front tends to shift you forward as the miles go by. About 5 hrs was my limit on the stock seat. I'm really liking my wide, flat Tiros-K seat on those long days.
I have the same issue. The dealer I got the bike from threw in a Corbin seat at cost to sweeten the deal. He said I'd thank him later. He was right.

The stock seat is great for short rides, bit I had discomfort with any ride times over an hour. There's not enough support. I swapped seats back & forth several times and the Corbin won.

The Corbin took almost 3K miles to break in...it was very stiff at first but has broken in nicely.
 
That seat is very nice looking. All of the BMW RT's I have owned had horrible seats. I always wondered about how you could design a motorcycle for long distance touring and not have a comfortable seat. With the CB at least it is not designed as a long distance bike. Anyhow not to rant but the seat really looks good on your bike.
 
You've had your new seat about three months now... Can you give us an update? Specifically, ride comfort, seat quality, any changes you would want done now that you've had the seat for a bit?

Did you change your seat height? Do you sit higher? Lower?

I'm almost 6'2" with a 34" inseam... so my concern would be losing legroom.

Thanks.

... qg
 
That Corbin looks cozy!
All saddles and riders bottoms are different. I am squirming in discomfort after a couple of hours on the stock CB saddle, however, unlike most, I can comfortably sit on a stock BMW GS saddle from sunrise to sunset.
I bet my CB saddle would be a lot more comfy if I lost "a few" pounds. :blush:
 
Bike seats are, in my opinion much like a pair of shoes - different fit and feel for each individual. I know that after an hour or about 50+ miles my bum begins getting that "burn" going on... I'll end up with a Corbin... just doing a bit of research.
 
quietguy_imp said:
Bike seats are, in my opinion much like a pair of shoes - different fit and feel for each individual. I know that after an hour or about 50+ miles my bum begins getting that "burn" going on... I'll end up with a Corbin... just doing a bit of research.
Don't forget to give Seth Laam saddles a look. 100% custom made for you for the same price, or less, than a Corbin.

Review on Seth Laam Custom Seat
 
Thanks for the headsup, EG...

I checked the link and his site - looks like he does first class work. I may shoot him an email.

... quietguy
 
quietguy_imp said:
You've had your new seat about three months now... Can you give us an update? Specifically, ride comfort, seat quality, any changes you would want done now that you've had the seat for a bit?

Did you change your seat height? Do you sit higher? Lower?

I'm almost 6'2" with a 34" inseam... so my concern would be losing legroom.

Thanks.

... qg
Quietguy,

I've had that Corbin seat for a year and a half. I wouldn't change anything on it. The Corbin seat is just slightly higher than the stock seat and unlike the stocker it does not cause you to slide forward into the gas tank. I own three different seats for my CB11 (K&H mid, stock, & Corbin) and the Corbin is the only one I ever use.

Chip
 
Thread starter
When A&W root beer was sold at stands in frosty mugs, it was truly one of lifes greatest pleasures.

Have had several thousand miles on the Corbin and it is still very comfy. Some folks claim to need to break in their seats as they are initially on the firm side. My first sit seemed firm but after riding 8 hours, there was no pain and my privates were happy that I wasn't sliding up on the tank. I never noticed that the Corbin was any higher or lower than the stock seat but I haven't measured... It is by far the best mod I have made; along with 1" risers to take some weight off my wrists and the seat, the bike actually fits me nicely.
 
Thank you very much, George. I also like the idea of handlebar risers... I think that would really make a difference in riding comfort.
 
Back
Top