New convert: T100 to CB1100

kvdv_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi everyone!
Pretty new to the CB1100 world; just bought a used 2014 DLX a few weeks ago and only have only ridden few hundred miles on it so far, backroads and freeways mostly. As much as it kills me, my lovely Bonnie which I just toured the U.S. on (9 weeks / 10,000 miles, see http://www.karlvandervelden.com) is for sale as I type this; I simply don't have the room in my garage or finances to keep both.
Just thought I'd share some early observations, and perhaps some of you can comment or offer advice:
First thing I noticed when riding the bike home on the interstate was a very strange random wind pressure effect that I've never experienced on the Bonnie (or any other bike for that matter). It felt like my legs, upper body and especially my helmet were being randomly but strongly pushed and pulled back and forth...which consequently was affecting my lane position a fair amount as well (Other drivers may well have thought I was riding drunk!) Granted, it was a bit windy, but I've had similar conditions with the Bonnie -- equipped only with an OEM flyscreen -- and other bikes and I've never in my life encountered anything remotely like that. And it wasn't just a one time thing -- I've had the CB out a few more times since then, and at speed (anything over 60 or so), I really need to pinch the tank with my knees, lean forward a fair amount and keep my chin tucked just to keep everything smooth and steady. The only thing I can think of is that the CB tank clearly displaces more air than the Bonnie tank, so maybe there's a bit more of a pressure bubble there shoving me around...? I have a Comet on order from Samurider, hoping this will help somewhat? Maybe I need to gain some weight? (hahaha)
Second thing...compared to the Bonnie ergos, I'm feeling more pressure on my palms and wrists. Grip Puppies took care of the palms, but I'm still feeling more weight on my wrists than I remember with the Bonnie. I'm going to give myself time to get used to it, but if all else fails I may look into pullback/riser options.
Aside from those two details, oh my god the CB simply outclasses and outperforms the Bonnie in every imaginable way!! I was feeling bad about letting my Bonnie go, but every ride on the CB is helping that feeling go away :)
Thanks! - Karl
 
Others will comment on the wind, etc problems.

You may need the pullback/riser. But first for free, you may want to loosen the handlebar clamps and rotate the bars up some. You will have to position the levers the way you want, but it helped me and a few others a LOT.
 
Welcome aboard Karl!
A lot of us were former Bonneville owners and I think you will really appreciate all the things that make the CB a better motorcycle (power brakes suspension seat). I have not experienced the blowing around that you have, but maybe changing the bar positions or dialing up the stiffness of the suspension would help?
Your trip sounds amazing! I checked out your blog and what an epic journey!
 
I experienced the blowing thing you describe, albeit only when riding into headwinds at speeds over 120kph. The solution for me was a Dart flyscreen. It doesn't take away the wind, but it seems to streamline it enough that it goes up and over my helmet without buffeting or pulling me around. The Road Comet you ordered should do the same.
 
The road comet helped wind buffeting for me but I wasn't experiencing it to the point that you describe. With the road comet, the wind hits about my shoulders. I also find the seating position natural with zero weight on my wrists. I'm wondering if the previous owner had done something to the handlebars such as lowering them or moving them forward. Just this morning I was on the freeway doing 75 with very manageable wind on my way to work. Up above 80 to 85 I find wind annoying but I typically don't have reason to go that fast.

I've experienced being blown around but that was on a CM400T back in the 80s. It was much smaller than the CB1100 and every time I'd go near a truck I'd get blown around almost into the next lane. Kind of scary but I was young so I probably enjoyed the thrill.
Check this thread for pictures of what properly adjusted bars looks like:

Those cables were driving me crazy!

It should be the case that the bars lean slightly further back than the front suspension coming up.
 
My ZRX would act like that when I was wearing a more baggy riding jacket. Try it with another or tighter jacket and see if it has any impact.

Congrats on the new ride. I used to have an 07 Bonnie Black.
 
Nice blog, I read through parts of it..
too bad Skyline Drive was fogged in and you missed it...
I always say " Skyline Drive is where motorcyclists would go when they die" it is so perfect.
e371e7a6f07b4107e367ac9e2b6862e7.
 
I removed my Puig wind screen and found that my old Triumph tank bag works perfectly to keep the wind off my chest without the added noise and buffeting that occurs with many screens.
 
I put a Marlin Dart Screen and it did take the wind off of my chest. It does create wind noise but no buffeting. I think the bars on my deluxe are about as neutral as you get. I have to admit with my Aerostitch jacket I believe I have the sail effect more so than with my leather jacket. Enjoy.
 
Karl, thanks for the link you provided to your trip. What a wonderful adventure to share with your soul mate. The photos are lovely and well done. I hope you will post more.:hello:
 
G'day Karl and welcome. I'm very much looking forward to reading the blog of your ride—I just read the one about the BLue Ridge Parkway.

My CB1100 is without screen or fairing and mostly I find it very comfortable and don't suffer too much from buffeting. Except ... I do notice riding in the freeway with lots of traffic that there are occasional unpleasant buffets and gusts. My theory—and it is no more than that—is that traffic creates turbulence which affects motorcyclists. I therefore try not to ride too much on freeways with traffic.

Now, back to the blog.
 
I also went from a Bonnieville T100 to a 14 Delux and agree that there is no comparison between the two bikes. The CB wins hands down. On my CB 100 I have added a Chic Design Comet 2 Fairing with the smoked windshield and have no issues with any buffing at various speeds. Good luck with the new bike.
 
First off welcome to the forum and congrats on obtaining a CB 1100 dlx. Rare and beautiful bird.

Secondly as moderator I have read every post on this forum since day , and I don't recall anyone complaining about the issue you describe.

thirdly I have ridden 22,500 miles on CB 1100's..8500 on a 13 and 14,500 so far on a 14 dlx including at least 4 multi day-multi state trips with many miles up to 80 mph and have felt nothing like you describe. Honestly when I was reading your description I thought," there is something wrong with that bike". Buffeting is one thing, throwing you side to side with fear of losing control is way beyond buffeting. Unless you were behind semis throwing off dirty air, something is not right. This motorcycle is rock steady at any speed. First off, you bought used, are you sure it wasn't wrecked? If not wrecked, check tire pressure 36 f 42 R. Check rear wheel alignment. If it has a windscreen, remove iit and test it again. Are the rear shocks set on the same setting? How about the front forks? You SHOULD NOT be experiencing that kind of reaction from this bike.
 
This may sound weird, but are you wearing a jacket? One that's too big, or not fastened properly or lets air in and has trouble exiting will cause you be thrown around.
 
I've test ridden two Bonnies, a T100 (not impressed) and a friends cheaper model with after market mods like the exhaust - much better!

Wind; Naked I have not experienced your problem, but when I bought the Puig windscreen (very small thing) the few times I rode it I got bad buffeting, really nasty stuff so I took her off and bought a larger windscreen (forget the model, got it off a member here) and it was a huge difference. Much better.

Then I got a MRA screen for the Griso and loved it so much I bought mounts for the CB so I can swap. The second screen was installed on my XR650L; I'm really enjoying the benefits of that screen on the XR.

Well it became a wee bit of a pain to swap screen so I put the Puig back on a couple months ago and have yet to experience the nastiness from the first install. Very odd.

Well Phoenix has turned into a hel* hole for the summer so riding has been few and far between with only a rally ride in August scheduled - on the Guzzi.

Side note; the nature of the engine vibes being what they are, for being on the open road I prefer the Moto Guzzi Griso and the XR65L (V twin and big thumper single) to the CB1100. The CB is much preferred for town riding. Go figure.
 
Karl, welcome, and best of luck with the beautiful new CB. Regarding your prescription for improving the windage/ comfort issue at speed, you may be going in the wrong direction. A slightly lower set of bars (like the 'Type 2' Honda OEM ones) would do more to improve highway comfort than risers and pullbacks...that's a recipe for more discomfort on the road. A naked bike at speed will never be a Gold Wing. Getting a bit tucked in, with some bend, and a lighter grip on the bars, might be the ticket.
 
Wind? The only wind problems I have encountered were induced by a combination of beer, beans and a full leather riding suit.

Vibration? Having grown up on British bikes, particularly vertical twins, to me the CB is as smooth as a gallon of buttermilk going through a hound dog.


Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Wind? The only wind problems I have encountered were induced by a combination of beer, beans and a full leather riding suit.

Vibration? Having grown up on British bikes, particularly vertical twins, to me the CB is as smooth as a gallon of buttermilk going through a hound dog.


Cheers
You so know how to paint a picture!

Cheers!
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Wind? The only wind problems I have encountered were induced by a combination of beer, beans and a full leather riding suit.

Vibration? Having grown up on British bikes, particularly vertical twins, to me the CB is as smooth as a gallon of buttermilk going through a hound dog.


Cheers
Well that sums it up about as good as it gets! LOL!
 
I have never noticed crosswind or buffeting issues; and I've ridden on the Western Washington prairie.

But then, I'm inured. I used to have a Burgman 650; with all that fairing, it was like a great big sail. Anything is an improvement.

The only exception is when getting in the dirty air behind a tractor-trailer. But that's with any cycle.
 
Back
Top