cb400four_imp
Running like a top
Since it was the 70s, people probably did have a smoke while riding down the highway behind a Vetter!petec_imp said:Thanks for the link...nice!CB4ME_imp said:Pete C - nice photobucket pics of the BRP.
for a trip down old-school-fairing memory lane, check this out:
http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/vetter_fairings/Every_Vetter_Fairing_made.html
I did have a Windjammer on my '74 GT750 and it was brilliant; you could sit and have a smoke behind it running 70 mph.
![]()
![]()
I think I paid about $275 from a local dealer. It actually made the water-buffalo handle better as it loaded the front end just enough to overcome the too-stiff stock springs and damping, which was so common a problem on most 'big' bikes back of that era. I lived in MA then and rode all winter (bar any ice on the road) with just the 'jammer and a pair of HippoHands and a cheap snowmobile suit; all the heated gear we have now makes life so nice...
Anyhow, I wish they still made them. I had considered, at various times and on various naked bikes over the last few years, finding a nice used one on Ebay and having a set of mounting brackets welded up and using one again. When I got mine I thought the mounting method of 'hose-clamps-to-the-frame' was pretty rinky-dink but the engineering behind it was very sound (and also cost-effective re manufacturing) and well thought out. I had a chance to see the aftermath of one thrown down the road at about 80mph - on a '75 Wing - and the fairing, though road-rashed severly, never budged, and actually acted like a huge frame slider and prevented a lot more damage than would've occurred without it; they were well made!
Don't blame C. Vetter for selling out when he did though...he cashed in when all that bolt-on accessory stuff was at it's height, IMO. More power to him and hope he's enjoying his retirement and keeps fiddling around with the fuel economy challenges that he's always loved.
Pete C
Nice pic by the way!

