new CB1100 rider

schwartzkm_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
I traded in my HD Sportster for a CB1100 yesterday. I can't say how much I enjoy the smooth, powerful engine. My favorite bike was my Triumph Street Triple but its pillion seat was a bit too small. The only gripe is its going to cost a lot to get this bike setup for a passenger. I'm thinking of GIVI or HEPCO with the back rest pad. Which is the better product and which product will ship the fastest?

Begin Rant:
The sales people--as I find with almost EVERY metric shop I frequent--didn't know crap about their product line. That is one reason I always tend to purchase HD or Triumph because those sales people tend to be fans, too. Except for the color of the bike and things he could read off the tag his only use was to run back to the shop and ask questions for me. How can you sale stuff you know almost nothing about?!? Except for that annoyance he was very nice and did run back to the shop to get answers to the questions I asked. I sure hope that mechanics they hire are more skilled in their area than the sales staff.
End Rant

I swore I would never get a bike with a chain but the shaft maintenance looks to be a big PITA and there is nothing with a belt that interests me. At least this bike, unlike the street, comes with a proper centerstand which should make adjustments much easier.

My first long trip will be down to College Station first week of May to help my daughter pack. After that trip I'll determine if I need a shield.
 
Welcome and congrats!

My salesman was clueless too. Must be normal :)

I think you will be happy with the chain. It will need adjustment by the 600 mile check, but some members have reported that they haven't needed to adjust it after that for many miles.

If you notice jerky starts or whatever after you get some miles, check that chain.
 
Welcome. If you rode the sportster with out a shield it should not both you to ride the CB with out one. Hope you enjoy the CB! What year did you buy 13 or 14?
Ride safe my friend
 
Welcome and congrats from SC. You are right on the money about most sales people not having any product knowledge, heck they dont even ride. What did you buy 13 or 14 std or deluxe?
 
Schwartzkm,

Congratulations on your new CB! Everyone is correct about the chain maintenance. Just need a 32mm and 27mm wrench (a 1 & 1/16th SAE will work in place of the 27mm). Kerosene or a good chain clearner and decent lube. Ten minutes to adjust slack, clean and lube.

Sounds like you've done your research on rear racks. Have you found a back rest pad that will fit across the "grab bar" on these racks? Another alternative is the Honda rear carrier and a Jardine back rest.
 
+1 to salesperson has no idea - same when I bought mine, I knew more about the specs than the salesman. To be fair he'd probably never sold one before. No doubt it helped me in the end to secure a good deal.

As CB4ME said, chain maintenance couldn't be easier on this bike and literally takes a few minutes.

I tried a shield, ditched it and am happy naked.

Enjoy!
 
CB,

If he got a 2014 he won't need that 32mm...
 
Congrats and welcome :hello:

From having had 2 Sportsters I can assure you the CB is superior in every respect.

As far as the salesmen in metric shops go, it is sad how few details they seem to know about any particular model, but it is far easier for a Harley salesman or a Triumph salesman to know their product lines. They have far fewer models and a much less diverse product range. How many scooters does Triumph or Harley make? How many ATV's? Any side by sides? How many dirt bikes? Harley has like 3 motors and the rest is dressing. Triumph has more, maybe 7 or 8 motors, but the selection pales in comparison to any metric brand. The amount of specs a metric salesman must try and learn and retain is staggering (note I spent 17 years in the motorcycle business)

Where you may or may not find the Honda lacking is in 2 areas. Amount and variety of accessories available, and you wont find a lot of Honda branded clothing. The other is the social aspect. Don't expect that your Harley riding buddies will treat you the same as they did before, and other than giant Goldwing gatherings, Honda riders don't have much of a social game which seems a major part of Harley ownership.

Oh, and don't expect Harley riders to wave back to you much out on the road either.

Also don't take this post as anti Harley. I'm not. I have owned 7 and many on here have and several still do. Harley and Honda from engineering to social status are just very different. Chicken sandwiches and hamburgers are also very different, but they are all good in their own way.

Hope you find a pleasant home here. We are very laid back and civil and will help you in any way we can.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Congrats and welcome :hello:

From having had 2 Sportsters I can assure you the CB is superior in every respect.

As far as the salesmen in metric shops go, it is sad how few details they seem to know about any particular model, but it is far easier for a Harley salesman or a Triumph salesman to know their product lines. They have far fewer models and a much less diverse product range. How many scooters does Triumph or Harley make? How many ATV's? Any side by sides? How many dirt bikes? Harley has like 3 motors and the rest is dressing. Triumph has more, maybe 7 or 8 motors, but the selection pales in comparison to any metric brand. The amount of specs a metric salesman must try and learn and retain is staggering (note I spent 17 years in the motorcycle business)

Where you may or may not find the Honda lacking is in 2 areas. Amount and variety of accessories available, and you wont find a lot of Honda branded clothing. The other is the social aspect. Don't expect that your Harley riding buddies will treat you the same as they did before, and other than giant Goldwing gatherings, Honda riders don't have much of a social game which seems a major part of Harley ownership.

Oh, and don't expect Harley riders to wave back to you much out on the road either.

Also don't take this post as anti Harley. I'm not. I have owned 7 and many on here have and several still do. Harley and Honda from engineering to social status are just very different. Chicken sandwiches and hamburgers are also very different, but they are all good in their own way.

Hope you find a pleasant home here. We are very laid back and civil and will help you in any way we can.
Ferret,

So you're saying my old HOG patch DOESN'T mean Honda Owners Group? :P

I was surprised that Honda didn't have some kind of owners group. :huh:
 
Popgun, they tried several times over the years. Americade spawned out of Hondacade. That was probably the most successful followed by MSTA ( motorcycle Sport touring Assoc) which spawned out of HSTA (Honda Sport touring Assoc). Apparently Honda riders just aren't into large social gatherings.
 
Thread starter
I purchased a 2014 standard. I suppose the Honda salesman have a much larger product line to work from. My dealership sales Honda and Yamaha with their entire range so I guess i'll cut them a little slack.
I used a very small sport shield from national cycles that covered the speedo and not much more. I prefer clean air vs dirty air. I traveled in that setup from Dallas to the Grand Canyon and numerous other weekend type trips but must admit I seldom took the interstate. I can travel comfortably up to 75 (depending on head wind) but anything higher gets a little tiring. I found with the more aggressive lean of the CB1100 75 seemed rather tame so maybe I can hang with my buddies that ride their luxury barges.
 
Sales people; most are young farts while here most of us are old farts. Naturally we're going to know more than they do. Still; I wish they do their homework. I don't remember being that ignorant when I was in the motorcycle business.

Shaft drive; for me, it's change the oil. Something even a salesman could do..... :angel:

A fellow Griso rider road my CB1100 today (I got to ride his tricked out Griso) and he was very impressed. From the press reviews he did not end up with all that favorable of an image (and comparing paper specs among bikes). He said it was very easy to ride, very light on its' feet - the thing that impressed him the most - with decent pep. I came away knowing my Griso needed a suspension guy to help me set her up. His Griso was very nicely set up in the suspension department. He said this ride proved that you have to test ride a bike to really know it. You can't really go by dry specs.

It's kinda like comparing a nice Buick to a raw Z28, the both have their pluses, but he sees why I like the bike.
 
Welcome Schwartzkm,

You're going to have a lot of fun on that black beauty.

As far as salespeople go, I never expect much. By the time I go into a store (motorcycle or otherwise), I've already done my research and pretty much know what I want. It's been my experience that a salesperson's job is to make a sale and they're pretty much going to feed you whatever you're willing to swallow to make the sale. Actually, a salesperson who admits they don't know something would be a refreshing change.

Last week I went into my local shop to check out the '14 models and young sales guy (who saw me ride up on my '13) spent 15 minutes asking me questions about the CB1100 :D

If you're interested in a Hepco and Becker rack and trunk, Motomachines is the only H&B U.S. distributer (that I know of). I ordered a chrome Alurack from them a few weeks ago and it showed up at my door about 3 days later. I like the Alurack because it sits high behind the pillion seat, like a mini backrest. I haven't decided whether or not to order one of the trunks that mounts to that rack, or to fit a backrest pad to the rack.
 
Back
Top