New Bike in the stable R 1200 GS

I like that paint job :blush: And there is a Starbucks 1/2 mile from my house!

Now I need a Beemer :D
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I think it is a fun opportunity Mscb1100.
I know a few guys who need to see this LOL I'm not judging though, sometimes one really wants to go to Starbucks, and if GS is the only bike they have, they won't park it around the corner just to avoid scrutiny.

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I like that paint job :blush: And there is a Starbucks 1/2 mile from my house!

Now I need a Beemer :D
Don't know what's it like in the US, but here there is probably a Starbucks 1/2 a mile from where everyone lives

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Thread starter
tod.branko_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I think it is a fun opportunity Mscb1100.
I know a few guys who need to see this LOL I'm not judging though, sometimes one really wants to go to Starbucks, and if GS is the only bike they have, they won't park it around the corner just to avoid scrutiny.

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I like that paint job :blush: And there is a Starbucks 1/2 mile from my house!

Now I need a Beemer :D
Don't know what's it like in the US, but here there is probably a Starbucks 1/2 a mile from where everyone lives

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
I know a few guys who need to see this LOL I'm not judging though, sometimes one really wants to go to Starbucks, and if GS is the only bike they have, they won't park it around the corner just to avoid scrutiny.

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I like that paint job :blush: And there is a Starbucks 1/2 mile from my house!

Now I need a Beemer :D
Don't know what's it like in the US, but here there is probably a Starbucks 1/2 a mile from where everyone lives

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
I have 3 within 3.4 miles of my home, here’s the real kicker though.
They are on the same road, all within 1.1 miles of each other.
Per Ferret, you’d think I’ll be seeing a lot of GS riders tomorrow AM:P
 
I make it my goal to avoid a Starbucks (or any other large coffee chain) and try to give my business to the local Mom and Pop shops instead. My recent post showing my last coffee stop is owned and run by a lady who has to be in her 70's at least. I would rather she has my money than an investment firm with Starbucks shares. These little shops get crushed in the busy urban areas but can sometimes just survive further out in the sticks.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I think it is a fun opportunity Mscb1100.
:rofl:

Make no mistake, I think the GS is a wonderful machine and would love to have one if I were of greater stature.

As it is I have to be a Tea drinking munchkin on a mini adventure bike..the NC 750X. Hey it has a beak so it must be an adventure bike!

PS if mine goes off road, that means I missed a corner!
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I think it is a fun opportunity Mscb1100.
I really hope that is a Photoshop, but with all the "Monster" energy drink editions of power-sports vehicles out there, I would not be too surprised to learn that was real.
 
Mscb1100_imp said:
tod.branko_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I think it is a fun opportunity Mscb1100.
I know a few guys who need to see this LOL I'm not judging though, sometimes one really wants to go to Starbucks, and if GS is the only bike they have, they won't park it around the corner just to avoid scrutiny.

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I like that paint job :blush: And there is a Starbucks 1/2 mile from my house!

Now I need a Beemer :D
Don't know what's it like in the US, but here there is probably a Starbucks 1/2 a mile from where everyone lives

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
I know a few guys who need to see this LOL I'm not judging though, sometimes one really wants to go to Starbucks, and if GS is the only bike they have, they won't park it around the corner just to avoid scrutiny.

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I like that paint job :blush: And there is a Starbucks 1/2 mile from my house!

Now I need a Beemer :D
Don't know what's it like in the US, but here there is probably a Starbucks 1/2 a mile from where everyone lives

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
I have 3 within 3.4 miles of my home, here’s the real kicker though.
They are on the same road, all within 1.1 miles of each other.
Per Ferret, you’d think I’ll be seeing a lot of GS riders tomorrow AM:P
Maybe with having that many that close together, that keeps the drive thru line from extending out onto the main street, blocking 1 of the 2 east bound lanes like the ONE does here.
 
GoldOxide,

Funniest thing I've ever seen on this forum! Well done...

I owned a 2002 1150GS Adventure, 2005 1200GS and 2009 800GS. Loved each one for totally different reasons. The Starbucks story, as told to me 15 years ago, was a joking insult made to guys who owned GSes, had the "correct" BMW gear or Aerostich suit, kept their bike immaculate, and only rode it to the dealer or Starbucks. The sales guys were always amazed at the "guys in suits" that came in purchase a GS, and all the accoutrements, and wondered out loud if they "really" needed an endorsement. Then proceeded to discuss their own plans for The Long Way Around. Used to be quite common to find a six-year-old GS with less than 10,000 miles. Who knows, maybe it still is?
 
Remember the YouTube video cartoon about the BMW rider and the whale foeskin suit? Lol

As far as mileage, there are low mileage examples of every model of every brand available. Some guys like to ride, some guys just like to own.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Nice! Congrats! The GS is a very versatile and capable motorbike.

BTW, I have the same lawnmower.
When I read this, I thought you were talking about the bike literally being a lawnmower. Judging by the engine note, one could be forgiven for mistaking one for the other. :P
Mscb1100_imp said:
My neighbor is considering selling his bike due to rarely ever riding it and it having had a fuel leak for the past year. I looked online and found out it had a recall from BMW so I took it into the shop and had it repaired. I picked it up today and took it on a 80 mile test ride and it didn't catch on fire, so i guess they fixed the leak.

Even with road/off road tires it handled like a dream. I was amazed at how it would lean over in a corner and how the 100 hp could be used to power it out of a hairpin.
I plan on riding it some more tomorrow after I detail it and take it out for another ride.
My last BMW was a K 1100 touring model and it weighed a good 150 lbs more than this bike. He has a set of road tires that will come with it and I plan on switching those onto it if we close the deal this weekend.
David, this might be your ultimate bike! Telelever front suspension + high pegs. My buddy on the Devil's Triangle in Tennessee:

8943c13379de8b3637819b79eeb7116c.jpg

Mscb1100_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Mscb.... the prevailing joke/stereotype is poser rich guys buying big BMW "adventure bikes" and never riding them anywhere but to Starbucks on the weekend.
I love this site and good natured ribbings we can give each other:shy:
Rest assured I will not be riding to Starbucks for coffee on the weekends.
I visited one once and my friends rolled their eyes when, after viewing the menu board I asked the "barista" if they had just plain coffee.
I didn't think it was as good as the coffee at McDonald's
tod.branko_imp said:
I wish you to have a lot of great miles on the R1200GS, I hope you get a good deal on it too, it looks very clean and unmolested, which is important.

I've written a blog post about the GS recently, if anyone is interested they can check it out

https://www.motolyzed.com/blog/h41qy3qns3qqsctdsvs6xu07h4hh74

It lays down a few objective facts, and I really tried my best to be reasonable in the assessment

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
It was very well written and very informative, makes me feel more assured I made a good choice with this bike
I'm with you! $tarbuck$ is over-roasted and over-priced. What ever happened to the $0.50 cup of Folgers? Even Waffle House has gotten very proud of their coffee (prices) these days.
 
Far be it for me to criticize an American icon, but, in this country, it is hard to imagine a coffee aficionado, let alone one who rides a BMW, being found dead in a Starbucks.
 
Who knows? Maybe it is a northern hemisphere thing? In Ontario, Canada (probably most of Canada) it is common to find mostly HDs huddled together in front of a Tim Horton's (coffee shop) looking at their bikes, looking at each other and saying nothing.

Similarly, all other bike riders (but no HDs) doing the same, but speaking to each other. People would be talking around the CB1100 gawking at how well it was "restored".

It is also a thing to see Beemers herded together in front of a Starbucks, geared up princely, but speaking to each other. Starbucks is premium to Tim Horton's.
 
Thread starter
Stichill_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
Nice! Congrats! The GS is a very versatile and capable motorbike.

BTW, I have the same lawnmower.
When I read this, I thought you were talking about the bike literally being a lawnmower. Judging by the engine note, one could be forgiven for mistaking one for the other. :P
Mscb1100_imp said:
My neighbor is considering selling his bike due to rarely ever riding it and it having had a fuel leak for the past year. I looked online and found out it had a recall from BMW so I took it into the shop and had it repaired. I picked it up today and took it on a 80 mile test ride and it didn't catch on fire, so i guess they fixed the leak.

Even with road/off road tires it handled like a dream. I was amazed at how it would lean over in a corner and how the 100 hp could be used to power it out of a hairpin.
I plan on riding it some more tomorrow after I detail it and take it out for another ride.
My last BMW was a K 1100 touring model and it weighed a good 150 lbs more than this bike. He has a set of road tires that will come with it and I plan on switching those onto it if we close the deal this weekend.
David, this might be your ultimate bike! Telelever front suspension + high pegs. My buddy on the Devil's Triangle in Tennessee:

8943c13379de8b3637819b79eeb7116c.jpg

Mscb1100_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Mscb.... the prevailing joke/stereotype is poser rich guys buying big BMW "adventure bikes" and never riding them anywhere but to Starbucks on the weekend.
I love this site and good natured ribbings we can give each other:shy:
Rest assured I will not be riding to Starbucks for coffee on the weekends.
I visited one once and my friends rolled their eyes when, after viewing the menu board I asked the "barista" if they had just plain coffee.
I didn't think it was as good as the coffee at McDonald's
tod.branko_imp said:
I wish you to have a lot of great miles on the R1200GS, I hope you get a good deal on it too, it looks very clean and unmolested, which is important.

I've written a blog post about the GS recently, if anyone is interested they can check it out

https://www.motolyzed.com/blog/h41qy3qns3qqsctdsvs6xu07h4hh74

It lays down a few objective facts, and I really tried my best to be reasonable in the assessment

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
It was very well written and very informative, makes me feel more assured I made a good choice with this bike
I'm with you! $tarbuck$ is over-roasted and over-priced. What ever happened to the $0.50 cup of Folgers? Even Waffle House has gotten very proud of their coffee (prices) these days.
When I read this, I thought you were talking about the bike literally being a lawnmower. Judging by the engine note, one could be forgiven for mistaking one for the other. :P
Mscb1100_imp said:
My neighbor is considering selling his bike due to rarely ever riding it and it having had a fuel leak for the past year. I looked online and found out it had a recall from BMW so I took it into the shop and had it repaired. I picked it up today and took it on a 80 mile test ride and it didn't catch on fire, so i guess they fixed the leak.

Even with road/off road tires it handled like a dream. I was amazed at how it would lean over in a corner and how the 100 hp could be used to power it out of a hairpin.
I plan on riding it some more tomorrow after I detail it and take it out for another ride.
My last BMW was a K 1100 touring model and it weighed a good 150 lbs more than this bike. He has a set of road tires that will come with it and I plan on switching those onto it if we close the deal this weekend.
David, this might be your ultimate bike! Telelever front suspension + high pegs. My buddy on the Devil's Triangle in Tennessee:

c6095224a61fedc6507285608ba0463e.jpg

Mscb1100_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Mscb.... the prevailing joke/stereotype is poser rich guys buying big BMW "adventure bikes" and never riding them anywhere but to Starbucks on the weekend.
I love this site and good natured ribbings we can give each other:shy:
Rest assured I will not be riding to Starbucks for coffee on the weekends.
I visited one once and my friends rolled their eyes when, after viewing the menu board I asked the "barista" if they had just plain coffee.
I didn't think it was as good as the coffee at McDonald's
tod.branko_imp said:
I wish you to have a lot of great miles on the R1200GS, I hope you get a good deal on it too, it looks very clean and unmolested, which is important.

I've written a blog post about the GS recently, if anyone is interested they can check it out

https://www.motolyzed.com/blog/h41qy3qns3qqsctdsvs6xu07h4hh74

It lays down a few objective facts, and I really tried my best to be reasonable in the assessment

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
It was very well written and very informative, makes me feel more assured I made a good choice with this bike
I'm with you! $tarbuck$ is over-roasted and over-priced. What ever happened to the $0.50 cup of Folgers? Even Waffle House has gotten very proud of their coffee (prices) these days.

It definitely is in the running, even with the knobbies the traction and lean angle are fantastic. The next time The A-man and I assault the dragon I will be more confident. Not faster, but more relaxed and feeling safer. l still love the Versys and its silky smooth ride, but the GS has that also and the extra 30 hp (68 vs 98) which lets you both power out of a turn and use steeper lean angles.
 
Thread starter
The A-man_imp said:
I'm ready to go David!
I've got The Vintage festival this weekend and will be doing the leaf tour in New England the next week, after the I'm wide open
We need to get in more run before it gets too cold (as in top of Clingmans Dome in June cold) That rides reminds me of Mark Twain saying "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco"
Mscb1100_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Mscb.... the prevailing joke/stereotype is poser rich guys buying big BMW "adventure bikes" and never riding them anywhere but to Starbucks on the weekend.
I love this site and good natured ribbings we can give each other:shy:
Rest assured I will not be riding to Starbucks for coffee on the weekends.
I visited one once and my friends rolled their eyes when, after viewing the menu board I asked the "barista" if they had just plain coffee.
I didn't think it was as good as the coffee at McDonald's
tod.branko_imp said:
I wish you to have a lot of great miles on the R1200GS, I hope you get a good deal on it too, it looks very clean and unmolested, which is important.

I've written a blog post about the GS recently, if anyone is interested they can check it out

https://www.motolyzed.com/blog/h41qy3qns3qqsctdsvs6xu07h4hh74

It lays down a few objective facts, and I really tried my best to be reasonable in the assessment

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
It was very well written and very informative, makes me feel more assured I made a good choice with this bike
I love this site and good natured ribbings we can give each other:shy:
Rest assured I will not be riding to Starbucks for coffee on the weekends.
I visited one once and my friends rolled their eyes when, after viewing the menu board I asked the "barista" if they had just plain coffee.
I didn't think it was as good as the coffee at McDonald's
tod.branko_imp said:
I wish you to have a lot of great miles on the R1200GS, I hope you get a good deal on it too, it looks very clean and unmolested, which is important.

I've written a blog post about the GS recently, if anyone is interested they can check it out

https://www.motolyzed.com/blog/h41qy3qns3qqsctdsvs6xu07h4hh74

It lays down a few objective facts, and I really tried my best to be reasonable in the assessment

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
It was very well written and very informative, makes me feel more assured I made a good choice with this bike
I think I got a good price in that we were both happy.
I ended up with a bunch of extra parts, a set of street tires, a nice booklet of maps of the best roads in each state, and 2 helmets. I told the seller I didn't need anymore helmets but one of them turned out to be an unused Shuberth XXlarge.
I'll go thru the parts and post the one I don't need and the helmet for sale
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Who knows? Maybe it is a northern hemisphere thing? In Ontario, Canada (probably most of Canada) it is common to find mostly HDs huddled together in front of a Tim Horton's (coffee shop) looking at their bikes, looking at each other and saying nothing.

Similarly, all other bike riders (but no HDs) doing the same, but speaking to each other. People would be talking around the CB1100 gawking at how well it was "restored".

It is also a thing to see Beemers herded together in front of a Starbucks, geared up princely, but speaking to each other. Starbucks is premium to Tim Horton's.
Tim Horton's serves real coffee. :) :thumbsup:
 
Who needs a coffee shop when you can have it hot at home in Ms. Ferret's coffee mug?



Re the GS12xx series, if one is inclined, it's it's a fantastic travel and commuting machine. I'm averaging over 1Kmiles per month on mine, and that's while still putting on about 500/month each on the CB and R18.
 
Stichill_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Who knows? Maybe it is a northern hemisphere thing? In Ontario, Canada (probably most of Canada) it is common to find mostly HDs huddled together in front of a Tim Horton's (coffee shop) looking at their bikes, looking at each other and saying nothing.

Similarly, all other bike riders (but no HDs) doing the same, but speaking to each other. People would be talking around the CB1100 gawking at how well it was "restored".

It is also a thing to see Beemers herded together in front of a Starbucks, geared up princely, but speaking to each other. Starbucks is premium to Tim Horton's.
Tim Horton's serves real coffee. :) :thumbsup:
Tim Horton's serves real coffee. :) :thumbsup:
^^+1^^
 
Stichill_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Who knows? Maybe it is a northern hemisphere thing? In Ontario, Canada (probably most of Canada) it is common to find mostly HDs huddled together in front of a Tim Horton's (coffee shop) looking at their bikes, looking at each other and saying nothing.

Similarly, all other bike riders (but no HDs) doing the same, but speaking to each other. People would be talking around the CB1100 gawking at how well it was "restored".

It is also a thing to see Beemers herded together in front of a Starbucks, geared up princely, but speaking to each other. Starbucks is premium to Tim Horton's.
Tim Horton's serves real coffee. :) :thumbsup:
Tim Horton's serves real coffee. :) :thumbsup:
Nice endorsement. :)
 
Back
Top