New Bike Hesitating / Sputtering

Just who is backed up on service work for 90 days? I never heard of any such thing. My local, VERY busy Harley Davidson dealership used to also sell and service BMW. They treated BMW owners terribly. I can't begin to express how badly. Harley riders got preference for everything. Still, when I showed up on a Saturday with my still under warranty BMW on a tow truck, a bike I did not buy there, they got around to it on Wednesday.
 
NightRider_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
The Honda warranty specifically states that you can take your motorcycle to any authorized Honda dealer across the nation.

It would be incredibly short-sighted for any dealer to refuse warranty work. Not only does it ignore the money paid to them by Honda for the work, it guarantees the loss of a potential customer.
I don't remember anyone saying a dealer would 'refuse' warranty work. Instead, reality exposes itself when a great dealer is backed up on work say 60-90 days and quess who is dead last in the queue and oh by the way they make more mony on non-warranty work so you are not doing them any favors showing up at the door with some other dealers bike sale right along side their regular customers. So if they are or can be honest, they will advise you to go elsewhere likely by explaining if you drop your bike off here it will be fall before it gets worked on.

You have not been 'refused' but you might was well have been although they will eventually get to it or you will head back to your dealer and that's the way it is. Of course, if the dealer has the capacity to service your bike without pissing their regulars off then you are good to go but I think it is the other dealers bike that waits until their customers are satisified first. We have already seen where dealers price things differently for their own customers so why would they hold up repairs on their own bikes for another dealer's bike?

Maybe your are right and the dealer does not care who bought bikes from them and they give no preference to the customers who bought their bikes. You are right, I don't know what make me think that way.
I don't remember anyone saying a dealer would 'refuse' warranty work.
Actually, you did in post 25 above. If what you actually meant by saying it was up to the dealer is that they can find ways to discourage you from leaving your bike with them as you've now explained, then I agree. I still thinks it makes little business sense to operate that way. No doubt there are plenty of places using less than ideal business practices though.

FGRS




Ok...FGRS doesn't really mean anything. I just wanted to fit in so I made it up.
 
Thread starter
Quick update on this gents. Bike has been at a local Honda dealer for repair since Monday, and they confirmed bike running rough and misfiring on one or more cylinders - this on a bike with five zero miles on the odo (had 26 on it when I bought it new . . . ). They've ordered plugs to begin the diagnosis, and said the new plugs won't arrive until perhaps next week. After installing new plugs, they said they would continue the diagnosis.

So we'll see what happens. Surely I'm disappointed since this is a brand new bike with a brand new price, but I'm hoping for the best. Cautiously optimistic this will be an easy fix.

Will keep you posted.
 
This doesn't sound too encouraging for a quick fix. So after replacing the plugs the diagnostic will continue? Sounds like they are guessing and hoping to get lucky. Don't want to scare you, but just in case, Keep records of how many days you are without the bike for any lemon law action. .
 
Sounds like they are following the Honda diagnostic process... "Does it misfire? Replace plugs!"

Turning it over with the plugs grounded out would have figured out if plugs were the issue... Can't blame them though, they are doing what Honda says to do.
 
treytexag_imp said:
CB11 Team, I picked up a '14 DLX today, brand new, been sitting on the showroom floor with gas in tank since June 2014. 16 - test miles - on the odometer.

The bike runs pretty good at higher rpms, but at low speed when I accelerate from around 2,000-3,000 rpm up from 2nd and 3rd gear, bike seems to sputter and hesitate.

I spoke to the mechanic at the dealer, over 1 1/2 hours away, he said that before I picked up the bike today, he drained the gas from the tank and lines and put new in. He said the bike "needs to have a few tankfulls of gas run through it". He said he did not clean the injectors - whatever that would mean . . .

Does this seem right guys - the new DLX CB11 simply needs gas run through it to "clean it up" from sitting so long or is this "baloney"?

Please let me know what y'all think.

Trey in Houston
Haven't read through all the replies yet, but your description is exactly what I had, so I'll just reply to your first post. I bought my CB last Friday from a H-D dealer with the intention of riding it back to work, then picking up my car that night. I didn't even get a mile from the dealer before I turned around. It was sputtering and jerky, and the idle was fluctuating wildly at rest (it caught me out once and I stalled it). I know this bike had been there for a few months. The salesman had just filled-up the tank, but he gave it to one of their mechanics who recently came over from a powersports dealer that sold Jap bikes. He thought it was old gas at the bottom of the tank and they added a FI cleaner of some sort, something-44, then he took off on it. I had to get back to work. I picked the bike up Monday, there were 1 or 2 slight hesitations in the first couple miles, but it's been like butter since.
treytexag_imp said:
Quick update on this gents. Bike has been at a local Honda dealer for repair since Monday, and they confirmed bike running rough and misfiring on one or more cylinders - this on a bike with five zero miles on the odo (had 26 on it when I bought it new . . . ). They've ordered plugs to begin the diagnosis, and said the new plugs won't arrive until perhaps next week. After installing new plugs, they said they would continue the diagnosis.

So we'll see what happens. Surely I'm disappointed since this is a brand new bike with a brand new price, but I'm hoping for the best. Cautiously optimistic this will be an easy fix.

Will keep you posted.
I guess I should have read through the thread before replying, sounds like yours is more serious. Just curious, did they try a FI cleaner?

At least yours is brand new, under warranty, and from a Honda dealer. Mine isn't, and I was ****ting bricks initially because I had written the check, initialed the "As-Is" part of the contract, and left the (Harley) dealer. Luckily, it all worked out for me. Good luck on yours!
 
treytexag_imp said:
Quick update on this gents. Bike has been at a local Honda dealer for repair since Monday, and they confirmed bike running rough and misfiring on one or more cylinders - this on a bike with five zero miles on the odo (had 26 on it when I bought it new . . . ). They've ordered plugs to begin the diagnosis, and said the new plugs won't arrive until perhaps next week. After installing new plugs, they said they would continue the diagnosis.

So we'll see what happens. Surely I'm disappointed since this is a brand new bike with a brand new price, but I'm hoping for the best. Cautiously optimistic this will be an easy fix.

Will keep you posted.
Darn the bad luck! No plugs to be had locally so she sits at the dealer you did not buy from? Nobody pulled them, cleaned and regaped them but instead it is "confirmed" what everyone knew already, that she hesitates and sputters and so she sits waiting for parts "on order", namely plugs? I did not realize our CB plugs were so unique or that the plugs go bad sitting for six months or that it is best procedure not to pull them and look at them but instead to park your bike waiting for "parts on order" and "perhaps" they will get in next week. Perhaps not. Imagine that. I suspect the plugs will take longer than that to "get in, sorry", says the shop manager, "must be the dock strike on the West Coast", they say.
 
Thread starter
The service manager said the plugs were fouled. Now I pulled the left two plugs myself an hour before I dropped it off, and they looked OK to me. Certainly NOT fouled, but I'm not a certified Honda mechanic, so what do I know? :-)

I don't believe they have done anything other than confirm its not running right and ordered new plugs. But yes, new bike, new Honda warranty. Feeling confident that no matter the problem, Honda will take care of it.
Oh, and the bike was not out of a crate. Been sitting on the showroom floor over the winter they said . . .
NightRider_imp said:
treytexag_imp said:
Quick update on this gents. Bike has been at a local Honda dealer for repair since Monday, and they confirmed bike running rough and misfiring on one or more cylinders - this on a bike with five zero miles on the odo (had 26 on it when I bought it new . . . ). They've ordered plugs to begin the diagnosis, and said the new plugs won't arrive until perhaps next week. After installing new plugs, they said they would continue the diagnosis.

So we'll see what happens. Surely I'm disappointed since this is a brand new bike with a brand new price, but I'm hoping for the best. Cautiously optimistic this will be an easy fix.

Will keep you posted.
Darn the bad luck! No plugs to be had locally so she sits at the dealer you did not buy from? Nobody pulled them, cleaned and regaped them but instead it is "confirmed" what everyone knew already, that she hesitates and sputters and so she sits waiting for parts "on order", namely plugs? I did not realize our CB plugs were so unique or that the plugs go bad sitting for six months or that it is best procedure not to pull them and look at them but instead to park your bike waiting for "parts on order" and "perhaps" they will get in next week. Perhaps not. Imagine that. I suspect the plugs will take longer than that to "get in, sorry", says the shop manager, "must be the dock strike on the West Coast", they say.
Darn the bad luck! No plugs to be had locally so she sits at the dealer you did not buy from? Nobody pulled them, cleaned and regaped them but instead it is "confirmed" what everyone knew already, that she hesitates and sputters and so she sits waiting for parts "on order", namely plugs? I did not realize our CB plugs were so unique or that the plugs go bad sitting for six months or that it is best procedure not to pull them and look at them but instead to park your bike waiting for "parts on order" and "perhaps" they will get in next week. Perhaps not. Imagine that. I suspect the plugs will take longer than that to "get in, sorry", says the shop manager, "must be the dock strike on the West Coast", they say.
Your suggested narrative has entered my thoughts. Hoping that's not the case though. . . .
 
treytexag_imp said:
The service manager said the plugs were fouled. Now I pulled the left two plugs myself an hour before I dropped it off, and they looked OK to me. Certainly NOT fouled, but I'm not a certified Honda mechanic, so what do I know? :-)

I don't believe they have done anything other than confirm its not running right and ordered new plugs. But yes, new bike, new Honda warranty. Feeling confident that no matter the problem, Honda will take care of it.
Oh, and the bike was not out of a crate. Been sitting on the showroom floor over the winter they said . . .
NightRider_imp said:
treytexag_imp said:
Quick update on this gents. Bike has been at a local Honda dealer for repair since Monday, and they confirmed bike running rough and misfiring on one or more cylinders - this on a bike with five zero miles on the odo (had 26 on it when I bought it new . . . ). They've ordered plugs to begin the diagnosis, and said the new plugs won't arrive until perhaps next week. After installing new plugs, they said they would continue the diagnosis.

So we'll see what happens. Surely I'm disappointed since this is a brand new bike with a brand new price, but I'm hoping for the best. Cautiously optimistic this will be an easy fix.

Will keep you posted.
Darn the bad luck! No plugs to be had locally so she sits at the dealer you did not buy from? Nobody pulled them, cleaned and regaped them but instead it is "confirmed" what everyone knew already, that she hesitates and sputters and so she sits waiting for parts "on order", namely plugs? I did not realize our CB plugs were so unique or that the plugs go bad sitting for six months or that it is best procedure not to pull them and look at them but instead to park your bike waiting for "parts on order" and "perhaps" they will get in next week. Perhaps not. Imagine that. I suspect the plugs will take longer than that to "get in, sorry", says the shop manager, "must be the dock strike on the West Coast", they say.
Darn the bad luck! No plugs to be had locally so she sits at the dealer you did not buy from? Nobody pulled them, cleaned and regaped them but instead it is "confirmed" what everyone knew already, that she hesitates and sputters and so she sits waiting for parts "on order", namely plugs? I did not realize our CB plugs were so unique or that the plugs go bad sitting for six months or that it is best procedure not to pull them and look at them but instead to park your bike waiting for "parts on order" and "perhaps" they will get in next week. Perhaps not. Imagine that. I suspect the plugs will take longer than that to "get in, sorry", says the shop manager, "must be the dock strike on the West Coast", they say.
Your suggested narrative has entered my thoughts. Hoping that's not the case though. . . .
I agree. But remember, you don't have it at "Honda". "Honda" manufactures, they don''t own that dealership. Still, this dealer will get to it. Perhaps he is simply getting over a large spring maintenence backlog on their customer's bikes, four wheelers and such.
 
Thread starter
NightRider_imp said:
treytexag_imp said:
The service manager said the plugs were fouled. Now I pulled the left two plugs myself an hour before I dropped it off, and they looked OK to me. Certainly NOT fouled, but I'm not a certified Honda mechanic, so what do I know? :-)

I don't believe they have done anything other than confirm its not running right and ordered new plugs. But yes, new bike, new Honda warranty. Feeling confident that no matter the problem, Honda will take care of it.
Oh, and the bike was not out of a crate. Been sitting on the showroom floor over the winter they said . . .
NightRider_imp said:
treytexag_imp said:
Quick update on this gents. Bike has been at a local Honda dealer for repair since Monday, and they confirmed bike running rough and misfiring on one or more cylinders - this on a bike with five zero miles on the odo (had 26 on it when I bought it new . . . ). They've ordered plugs to begin the diagnosis, and said the new plugs won't arrive until perhaps next week. After installing new plugs, they said they would continue the diagnosis.

So we'll see what happens. Surely I'm disappointed since this is a brand new bike with a brand new price, but I'm hoping for the best. Cautiously optimistic this will be an easy fix.

Will keep you posted.
Darn the bad luck! No plugs to be had locally so she sits at the dealer you did not buy from? Nobody pulled them, cleaned and regaped them but instead it is "confirmed" what everyone knew already, that she hesitates and sputters and so she sits waiting for parts "on order", namely plugs? I did not realize our CB plugs were so unique or that the plugs go bad sitting for six months or that it is best procedure not to pull them and look at them but instead to park your bike waiting for "parts on order" and "perhaps" they will get in next week. Perhaps not. Imagine that. I suspect the plugs will take longer than that to "get in, sorry", says the shop manager, "must be the dock strike on the West Coast", they say.
Darn the bad luck! No plugs to be had locally so she sits at the dealer you did not buy from? Nobody pulled them, cleaned and regaped them but instead it is "confirmed" what everyone knew already, that she hesitates and sputters and so she sits waiting for parts "on order", namely plugs? I did not realize our CB plugs were so unique or that the plugs go bad sitting for six months or that it is best procedure not to pull them and look at them but instead to park your bike waiting for "parts on order" and "perhaps" they will get in next week. Perhaps not. Imagine that. I suspect the plugs will take longer than that to "get in, sorry", says the shop manager, "must be the dock strike on the West Coast", they say.
Your suggested narrative has entered my thoughts. Hoping that's not the case though. . . .
I agree. But remember, you don't have it at "Honda". "Honda" manufactures, they don''t own that dealership. Still, this dealer will get to it. Perhaps he is simply getting over a large spring maintenence backlog on their customer's bikes, four wheelers and such.
I agree. But remember, you don't have it at "Honda". "Honda" manufactures, they don''t own that dealership. Still, this dealer will get to it. Perhaps he is simply getting over a large spring maintenence backlog on their customer's bikes, four wheelers and such.
BTW and as an aside, not that it matters though, I had a chat with the Service Manager about the situation. He knows that I was not able to buy from him or any other local Houston dealer since none of the Houston dealers had any DLX's to sell. I explained that I had to look hard for this one - true story - and at the time about three weeks back, this was the only new DLX I could find in Texas.

Again, not sure that matters. I wouldn't be surprised if service was "quicker" for customers who've bought from them, but again, I'm not going to jump to any conclusions. So far, I like the Service Manager, seems to be an OK bloke, so again, I want to be cautiously optimistic.

Hoping they can figure it out, and fix 'er up, then I can begin putting some miles on my beautiful new CB1100 DLX!!!

;-)

BTW, it is sure looking to be some pretty springtime riding weather 'round here lately - on days it's not raining anyway . . . .
 
treytexag, I wish you the best. But fouled plugs at that low of miles? I still stand by what I said initially. Someone reefed on it pretty good, and you are probably experiencing a compression loss in multiple cylinders. Of course, I could be way off here. But that's what my gut is telling me if there is no unusual noise or piston slap coming from the engine.
 
Maybe somebody said this already, but i would first suspect the gas in the tank is old, while mine sat I bought a cheap siphon from walmart and an extra gas can, drained the old into an empty old gas can and with the new gas can I bought new gas, non-ethanol, and filled it up and idled for ten minutes. Now that's it's spring, I would ride it and run a tank through to see if that fixes it. I'd get my bike back from the dealer and ask them to call me when the plugs get in and then try this on my own. Luck with it and well wishes.
 
The dealer may suspect that one or more of the new plugs may be defective. This is a rare occurrence for sure but not unheard of. If his initial inspection has not come up with anything obvious this might be the next logical step. A compression check would be a good idea and may have been done already by the dealer as it would be easy to do on the CB. Maybe a defective injector or coil.

Glad your bike is under warranty. Good luck to you.
 
You know, there is a chance plugs are fouled. If you're having injector/sensor problems on those two cylinders causing it to dump fuel, it will end up fouling plugs AND will cause a HUGE spike in your catalyst temp... Who knows!?
 
Thread starter
I just got off the phone with the Service Manager - he does not have my plugs yet. Since I found 8 in stock at a nearby Honda dealer, I asked him if he wanted me to go get them. He said he would "track" the ones he ordered and call me back. In the meantime, I asked him what the technicians have checked so far. He said they confirmed that each cylinder had fuel and fire - so that is something. He said they did not check compression, but that it seemed OK.

He said the thought was, and this of course is just a theory at this point, is that gas got old sitting in the tank while the bike was on the showroom floor for a few months, and then when it was initially fired up, the bad gas fouled the plugs at that point.

I don't know if this is a likely scenario, I'm not a trained Honda tech. Anyway, we certainly cannot proceed until he gets 4 new plugs, so hopefully that can happen soon.

Team, y'all been great here - really appreciate the support. I'm still loving my new "not-currently-in-my-garage-for-me-to-look-at" CB1100 DLX . . . . ;-)
 
Bad gas is entirely possible (and likely). I've seen injectors on VWs not spray an even spray pattern from dirty gas at low RPM, but spray fine at higher RPM, and a "sputtering" injector could foul the plug since the gas isn't vaporizing properly. They should know what they're doing, so see how it runs when you get it back. :beerchug:
 
Thread starter
LiveToRide, rest assured, I'm not happy about the situation with my new CB1100 DLX. However, being a "fixer" at work, I'm well aware that me "exploding" or ranting at Honda or the repair guys won't help the situation. So I'm doing my best to be patient.

Chatting with y'all here does help for sure, and perusing the beautiful pics and mods on this board is keeping me going . . .

:-)
 
treytexag_imp said:
I just got off the phone with the Service Manager - he does not have my plugs yet. Since I found 8 in stock at a nearby Honda dealer, I asked him if he wanted me to go get them. He said he would "track" the ones he ordered and call me back. In the meantime, I asked him what the technicians have checked so far. He said they confirmed that each cylinder had fuel and fire - so that is something. He said they did not check compression, but that it seemed OK.

He said the thought was, and this of course is just a theory at this point, is that gas got old sitting in the tank while the bike was on the showroom floor for a few months, and then when it was initially fired up, the bad gas fouled the plugs at that point.

I don't know if this is a likely scenario, I'm not a trained Honda tech. Anyway, we certainly cannot proceed until he gets 4 new plugs, so hopefully that can happen soon.

Team, y'all been great here - really appreciate the support. I'm still loving my new "not-currently-in-my-garage-for-me-to-look-at" CB1100 DLX . . . . ;-)
No guarantee that the gas was even fresh when it first went in. I would guess that dealers keep gas around for fueling new bikes. Then, the bike sat for roughly 6 months with the gas in it. Ethanol absorbs moisture, which settles to the bottom. You finally show up to buy her, and she is trying her best to run on watered down swill. Very likely that the injectors and plugs suffered in the process. Hopefully, they will have you on the road soon.
 
Back
Top