New battery.

Tezza_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Well my original battery finally gave out yesterday after 5 years and 4 months. I think the cold weather of late helped in its demise. Not a bad effort considering my 4wd battery died after only 3 years. Now I just need 2 new tyres. I will probably go with the Pirelli sport demons again.
 
5 years is decent. I have gotten more and I have gotten less. Mine are always plugged in to a tender when not being ridden though.

What battery did you go back with? I'm convinced of the superiority of oem Yuasas, even over after market Yuasas.
 
sourdough44_imp said:
I've been going to the 'Battery Mart' after doing some research, check it out. The maker is 'deka' out of PA, a big player in power sport batteries.

Their 'Big Crank' is made by Deka. Use a tender once in a while and it will last a long time. I just replaced a 2002 ATV battery, still worked but I was getting nervous about an inconvenient failure.


Battery Store for Replacement & Affordable Batteries | Battery Mart

They do list our bike

Honda CB1100, A, SA (2010 - '17) Motorcycle Batteries | Battery Mart
 
I run a Balistic Evo battery in my CB. Their website does not list the CB but I took it out of my last bike and it went in with no trouble. Smaller than standard and a lot lighter. These batteries hold their charge really well. Bike starts strong every time even after sitting for a couple of weeks.
The battery is two years old now and has never had to be charged up.
 
Most of the batteries I've seen mentioned in this thread seem to be in the $200+ range.

Even a Yuasa YTZ14S for the CB1100 lists for around $200 in Canada and that is just a typical Factory Activated/Maintenance Free type. Sure, Batterymart.com has them for less, but by the time you factor in international shipping via UPS, duty and brokerage, it works out to $200+.

What happened to the days of motorcycle batteries costing between $50 and $75? And, what justifies the expense?
 
Batteries like chains and tires really are better these days. Longer lasting and requiring less maintenance on each all add up to more expensive and a better value.

However IMO std spark plugs and air cleaners are no better than they were 30 years ago and still cost a boatload more.
 
Thread starter
Well after the battery I have put 2 new tyres and some rear pads on yesterday. I decided to go with the Pirelli sport demons again and at $270 fitted I thought that was pretty good. I now have 37k kilometres on the clock. I washed down the chain and re-lubed it and it still looks like new. Flushed the old clutch fluid out and replaced as it was starting to look a bit grubby.Front brake pads still have a fair bit of life left in them. Off through the Bunya Mountains at the end of the month for an overnighter at Kingaroy with some other club members. Should be a good ride.
 
sourdough44_imp said:
I've been going to the 'Battery Mart' after doing some research, check it out. The maker is 'deka' out of PA, a big player in power sport batteries.

Their 'Big Crank' is made by Deka. Use a tender once in a while and it will last a long time. I just replaced a 2002 ATV battery, still worked but I was getting nervous about an inconvenient failure.


Battery Store for Replacement & Affordable Batteries | Battery Mart
I took your advice, and ordered one of theirs to replace the original Yuasa that gave up this week. At about $67 delivered (which is supposed to be in two days) it sure seems worth a try.
 
Earlier this year, I bought an AGM battery for my 2010 Can-Am Spyder RT. I bought it from a company called batterysharks.com and it was billed as a Yuasa replacement battery. It was really cheap cheap cheap. When I got it, I noticed it WAS NOT A YUASA. When I called the company to complain, they told me that their printed description meant to say it REPLACED a Yuasa AGM. Anyway, installed the battery and about three months later when going to the drug store, it failed to start for my ride home. It wouldn't take jump so the cells had shorted. THREE MONTHS. I ended up buying the real deal Yuasa and if anyone wants to cheap out, beware a company called batterysharks.com... in fact google them and see a long string of rip off reports. This is FYI.
 
Tezza_imp said:
Well my original battery finally gave out yesterday after 5 years and 4 months. I think the cold weather of late helped in its demise. Not a bad effort considering my 4wd battery died after only 3 years. Now I just need 2 new tyres. I will probably go with the Pirelli sport demons again.
Tezza, have a look at the Pirelli Angel GTs. 160 rear, but I have found them to be really good.

Cheers
 
wiredgeorge_imp said:
Earlier this year, I bought an AGM battery for my 2010 Can-Am Spyder RT. I bought it from a company called batterysharks.com and it was billed as a Yuasa replacement battery. It was really cheap cheap cheap. When I got it, I noticed it WAS NOT A YUASA. When I called the company to complain, they told me that their printed description meant to say it REPLACED a Yuasa AGM. Anyway, installed the battery and about three months later when going to the drug store, it failed to start for my ride home. It wouldn't take jump so the cells had shorted. THREE MONTHS. I ended up buying the real deal Yuasa and if anyone wants to cheap out, beware a company called batterysharks.com... in fact google them and see a long string of rip off reports. This is FYI.
Kind of an ironic name for a company that hawks junk batteries.
 
Back
Top