New 2015- VULCAN-S-ABS

Not like any Vulcan I have ever seen. And a 650 parallel twin instead of a v-twin? Well...they took it in a different direction for sure.

Quote:POWER
EngineFour-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, parallel twin
Displacement649cc
Bore x Stroke83 x 60mm
Compression ratio10.8:1
Fuel SystemDFI with two 38mm throttle bodies, with sub-throttles
IgnitionTCBI with digital advance
TransmissionSix-speed with positive neutral finder
Final driveSealed chain
PERFORMANCE
Front suspension / wheel travel41mm telescopic fork / 5.1"
Rear suspension / wheel travelLay-down offset rear shock with linkage and adjustable preload / 3.2"
Front Tire Size120/70 R18
Rear Tire Size160/60 R17
Front BrakesSingle 300mm disc with twin-piston caliper, ABS
Rear BrakesSingle 250mm disc with single-piston caliper, ABS
Cooling SystemLiquid
DETAILS
Frame TypeHigh-tensile steel double pipe perimeter frame
Overall length91"
Overall width34.7"
Overall height43.3"
Seat Height27.8"
Fuel capacity3.7 gallons
Curb Weight498.3 lb**
Ground clearance5.1"
Color ChoicesCandy Lime Green, Pearl Crystal White or Flat Ebony
Warranty12 month Limited Warranty
Kawasaki Protection Plus (optional)12, 24, 36 or 48 months
 
Randy B_imp said:
Not like any Vulcan I have ever seen. And a 650 parallel twin instead of a v-twin? Well...they took it in a different direction for sure.

Quote:POWER
EngineFour-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, parallel twin
Displacement649cc
Bore x Stroke83 x 60mm
Compression ratio10.8:1
Fuel SystemDFI with two 38mm throttle bodies, with sub-throttles
IgnitionTCBI with digital advance
TransmissionSix-speed with positive neutral finder
Final driveSealed chain
PERFORMANCE
Front suspension / wheel travel41mm telescopic fork / 5.1"
Rear suspension / wheel travelLay-down offset rear shock with linkage and adjustable preload / 3.2"
Front Tire Size120/70 R18
Rear Tire Size160/60 R17
Front BrakesSingle 300mm disc with twin-piston caliper, ABS
Rear BrakesSingle 250mm disc with single-piston caliper, ABS
Cooling SystemLiquid
DETAILS
Frame TypeHigh-tensile steel double pipe perimeter frame
Overall length91"
Overall width34.7"
Overall height43.3"
Seat Height27.8"
Fuel capacity3.7 gallons
Curb Weight498.3 lb**
Ground clearance5.1"
Color ChoicesCandy Lime Green, Pearl Crystal White or Flat Ebony
Warranty12 month Limited Warranty
Kawasaki Protection Plus (optional)12, 24, 36 or 48 months
Not really if you think back a few years. They had the Vulcan 500 which used the Ninja 500 parallel twin. You might also draw some lineage back to the Eliminator.
 
A "cruiserized" Versys. It may work for them. Triumph has had good success with their parallel twin cruisers. The price is good.
 
the_undecider_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
Not like any Vulcan I have ever seen. And a 650 parallel twin instead of a v-twin? Well...they took it in a different direction for sure.

Quote:POWER
EngineFour-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, parallel twin
Displacement649cc
Bore x Stroke83 x 60mm
Compression ratio10.8:1
Fuel SystemDFI with two 38mm throttle bodies, with sub-throttles
IgnitionTCBI with digital advance
TransmissionSix-speed with positive neutral finder
Final driveSealed chain
PERFORMANCE
Front suspension / wheel travel41mm telescopic fork / 5.1"
Rear suspension / wheel travelLay-down offset rear shock with linkage and adjustable preload / 3.2"
Front Tire Size120/70 R18
Rear Tire Size160/60 R17
Front BrakesSingle 300mm disc with twin-piston caliper, ABS
Rear BrakesSingle 250mm disc with single-piston caliper, ABS
Cooling SystemLiquid
DETAILS
Frame TypeHigh-tensile steel double pipe perimeter frame
Overall length91"
Overall width34.7"
Overall height43.3"
Seat Height27.8"
Fuel capacity3.7 gallons
Curb Weight498.3 lb**
Ground clearance5.1"
Color ChoicesCandy Lime Green, Pearl Crystal White or Flat Ebony
Warranty12 month Limited Warranty
Kawasaki Protection Plus (optional)12, 24, 36 or 48 months
Not really if you think back a few years. They had the Vulcan 500 which used the Ninja 500 parallel twin. You might also draw some lineage back to the Eliminator.
Not really if you think back a few years. They had the Vulcan 500 which used the Ninja 500 parallel twin. You might also draw some lineage back to the Eliminator.
Yup, I was thinking Eliminator when I saw that it was a parallel twin.

Looks pretty cool in white, but I kind of think it doesn't need the slime green rim highlights in that color.
 
Interesting! I kinda like it, which is usually a bad sign for the manufacturer :) I'm not sure how a cruiser without a V-twin will go over with the typical cruiser customer. The Ninja/Versys powerplant ought to provide enough power to make it a zippy ride. I rode the Ninja 650 earlier this year and was pleasantly surprised at the power they get out of that engine.
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
Interesting! I kinda like it, which is usually a bad sign for the manufacturer :) I'm not sure how a cruiser without a V-twin will go over with the typical cruiser customer. The Ninja/Versys powerplant ought to provide enough power to make it a zippy ride. I rode the Ninja 650 earlier this year and was pleasantly surprised at the power they get out of that engine.
Agreed.....

The dealer near me says he has a couple of them coming next week. He pretty much allows test rides on everything he sells; I'm anxious to check it out for curiosity's sake.
 
I think this ought to sell well. The price is right and it should run circles around the Shadow 750, V-Star 650, and Suzuki M50/C50. I have long thought about how cruisers might advance in terms of style and technology. This looks like a means to that end.

The entry level cruiser buyer probably won't care it's not a v-twin. A counter balanced parallel twin will be smoother than any V configuration except maybe a 90 degree L twin. I wouldn't mind seeing a Suzuki do something crcruiser-ish with their 650 L-twin out of the V-strom. I liked that engine in my Strom and it makes decent power, happily revs, and will run at high freeway speeds without breaking a sweat. The only issue is packaging such a motor. The parallel twin lends itself to efficient packaging. That's how Kawi is able to do that nifty offset rear shock and look what Honda has done on the NC700X. I am not going to be in the market for a cruiser, but I do like what Kawi has done here.
 
Generously hit with an ugly stick. Points for the effort though. The Bonnie and our bike, the TU-250, all are classic looking bikes and fairly simple looking. If you have that stuff going on where you have to work to see the motor; may as well clean the whole thing up by using a lot of tupperware.

But hey, different strokes for different folks.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Generously hit with an ugly stick. Points for the effort though. The Bonnie and our bike, the TU-250, all are classic looking bikes and fairly simple looking. If you have that stuff going on where you have to work to see the motor; may as well clean the whole thing up by using a lot of tupperware.

But hey, different strokes for different folks.
I don't consider it beautiful in the same sense as classic looking bikes like you mentioned, but it is interesting and not something I find unattractive...just different.

If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then ugly is in the hand of the stick holder...or some such nonsense (this is what happens when a simple motorcycle rider tries to be philosophical).
 
Rboe_imp said:
Generously hit with an ugly stick. Points for the effort though. The Bonnie and our bike, the TU-250, all are classic looking bikes and fairly simple looking. If you have that stuff going on where you have to work to see the motor; may as well clean the whole thing up by using a lot of tupperware.

But hey, different strokes for different folks.
I probably wouldn't buy one, but I give 'em points for not trying to go the Harley clone route, like most other cruisers on the market. That said, I think that might be an issue when it comes to sales. Over the last 20 years or so, the American market has seemed to like their cruisers that way.

Another issue I'd have would be the single seat. I know there are plenty of bikes that come that way, but I wouldn't buy a bike that ruled out the possibility of taking a passenger (or strapping some cargo behind you).
 
Interesting.. looks like a time lineage of Harley '48 -> Yamaha Bolt -> Vulcan S

It also seems that Leather Jackets are out.. if you're a guy, you have to be wearing an untucked-in plaid shirt to be cool (I'm not sure what the gals are supposed to wear, they're not in any of the ads for these 'urban cool' bikes).
 
Back
Top