new 2014 standard price?

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
I'm in the market for a new bike: considering...

2014 CB1100 standard $8000 + 500 for "freight/setup"
2014 MGuzzi V7 Stone (employee said $6400, but I think he goofed, will check tomorrow)
2016 Triumph Street Twin (not available till spring, prolly $8900)

What do you think of the CB1100 price for the Standard?

Thanks.
 
For the West Coast, I think it's a good price. I paid much more than that in March 2014. Then again, it is winter. I would have to try to get heated grips, crash bars, and luggage rack included. Of course, I tried that and failed on my own purchase, but then I completely blew my deal.

I'm an old pro at not paying a penny more than I should for an automobile, but somehow the young motorcycle salesman's tactics threw me off my game. The CB750 purchase before that, with a fellow old guy, went exactly according to plan.

Note: Research the $1000 Bonus Bucks. I'm not finding it right now, but fellow inmates will know if it's still available or not.
 
Thread starter
jerrycon_imp said:
For the West Coast, I think it's a good price. I paid much more than that in March 2014. Then again, it is winter. I would have to try to get heated grips, crash bars, and luggage rack included. Of course, I tried that and failed on my own purchase, but then I completely blew my deal.

I'm an old pro at not paying a penny more than I should for an automobile, but somehow the young motorcycle salesman's tactics threw me off my game. The CB750 purchase before that, with a fellow old guy, went exactly according to plan.

Note: Research the $1000 Bonus Bucks. I'm not finding it right now, but fellow inmates will know if it's still available or not.
From the dealership's own web page, I see that the $1000 "bonus bucks" is offered for the '14 Standard. I was assuming that this is why they have the $7995 price tag on it: they sell it to customer for 8K, they get a 1000 credit from Honda and it really comes out to 9k for them. But if that 1k is at play, maybe they would listen to an offer of 7750 no freight charge...a lot more palatable for me.

I'm just over 6'3". Any tall riders out there that care to comment on the ergonomics with this bike?
 
The V7 price looks right. They're being blown out right now to make room for the V9. That's an incredible price.

The V7 is a terrific bike, but depending on your needs, will be no match for the CB1100 in terms of power, comfort, suspension, two-up ability, or build quality in my opinion (I've owned two). That being said, it has the character, agility, and panache the Honda can't match, and it's about 150 lbs lighter if that's important to you.
pdedse_imp said:
jerrycon_imp said:
For the West Coast, I think it's a good price. I paid much more than that in March 2014. Then again, it is winter. I would have to try to get heated grips, crash bars, and luggage rack included. Of course, I tried that and failed on my own purchase, but then I completely blew my deal.

I'm an old pro at not paying a penny more than I should for an automobile, but somehow the young motorcycle salesman's tactics threw me off my game. The CB750 purchase before that, with a fellow old guy, went exactly according to plan.

Note: Research the $1000 Bonus Bucks. I'm not finding it right now, but fellow inmates will know if it's still available or not.
From the dealership's own web page, I see that the $1000 "bonus bucks" is offered for the '14 Standard. I was assuming that this is why they have the $7995 price tag on it: they sell it to customer for 8K, they get a 1000 credit from Honda and it really comes out to 9k for them. But if that 1k is at play, maybe they would listen to an offer of 7750 no freight charge...a lot more palatable for me.

I'm just over 6'3". Any tall riders out there that care to comment on the ergonomics with this bike?
I'm 6'6", 220 lbs, 36" inseam. No issues for me whatsoever. I find my DLX to be very comfortable and capable as long as I don't expect it to be something it's not.
 
Thread starter
Tall people on cb1100...I should have searched first, found this:
Tall Riders
LongRanger_imp said:
The V7 price looks right. They're being blown out right now to make room for the V9. That's an incredible price.

The V7 is a terrific bike, but depending on your needs, will be no match for the CB1100 in terms of power, comfort, suspension, two-up ability, or build quality in my opinion (I've owned two). That being said, it has the character, agility, and panache the Honda can't match, and it's about 150 lbs lighter if that's important to you.
pdedse_imp said:
jerrycon_imp said:
For the West Coast, I think it's a good price. I paid much more than that in March 2014. Then again, it is winter. I would have to try to get heated grips, crash bars, and luggage rack included. Of course, I tried that and failed on my own purchase, but then I completely blew my deal.

I'm an old pro at not paying a penny more than I should for an automobile, but somehow the young motorcycle salesman's tactics threw me off my game. The CB750 purchase before that, with a fellow old guy, went exactly according to plan.

Note: Research the $1000 Bonus Bucks. I'm not finding it right now, but fellow inmates will know if it's still available or not.
From the dealership's own web page, I see that the $1000 "bonus bucks" is offered for the '14 Standard. I was assuming that this is why they have the $7995 price tag on it: they sell it to customer for 8K, they get a 1000 credit from Honda and it really comes out to 9k for them. But if that 1k is at play, maybe they would listen to an offer of 7750 no freight charge...a lot more palatable for me.

I'm just over 6'3". Any tall riders out there that care to comment on the ergonomics with this bike?
I'm 6'6", 220 lbs, 36" inseam. No issues for me whatsoever. I find my DLX to be very comfortable and capable as long as I don't expect it to be something it's not.
If $6400 is true, I might go with that for the V7. I'm wondering how much of the CB1100 power gain is swallowed up by the increased weight of 100+ pounds. But since you've had both, you'd be one to know!

LongRanger_imp said:
The V7 price looks right. They're being blown out right now to make room for the V9. That's an incredible price.

The V7 is a terrific bike, but depending on your needs, will be no match for the CB1100 in terms of power, comfort, suspension, two-up ability, or build quality in my opinion (I've owned two). That being said, it has the character, agility, and panache the Honda can't match, and it's about 150 lbs lighter if that's important to you.
pdedse_imp said:
jerrycon_imp said:
For the West Coast, I think it's a good price. I paid much more than that in March 2014. Then again, it is winter. I would have to try to get heated grips, crash bars, and luggage rack included. Of course, I tried that and failed on my own purchase, but then I completely blew my deal.

I'm an old pro at not paying a penny more than I should for an automobile, but somehow the young motorcycle salesman's tactics threw me off my game. The CB750 purchase before that, with a fellow old guy, went exactly according to plan.

Note: Research the $1000 Bonus Bucks. I'm not finding it right now, but fellow inmates will know if it's still available or not.
From the dealership's own web page, I see that the $1000 "bonus bucks" is offered for the '14 Standard. I was assuming that this is why they have the $7995 price tag on it: they sell it to customer for 8K, they get a 1000 credit from Honda and it really comes out to 9k for them. But if that 1k is at play, maybe they would listen to an offer of 7750 no freight charge...a lot more palatable for me.

I'm just over 6'3". Any tall riders out there that care to comment on the ergonomics with this bike?
I'm 6'6", 220 lbs, 36" inseam. No issues for me whatsoever. I find my DLX to be very comfortable and capable as long as I don't expect it to be something it's not.
Was at the Honda dealership yesterday and since it was rainy couldn't test ride, but they did start it up for me...wow! What a different sounding machine than other bikes I've had...sportster, klr650 and xs650.

LongRanger_imp said:
The V7 price looks right. They're being blown out right now to make room for the V9. That's an incredible price.

The V7 is a terrific bike, but depending on your needs, will be no match for the CB1100 in terms of power, comfort, suspension, two-up ability, or build quality in my opinion (I've owned two). That being said, it has the character, agility, and panache the Honda can't match, and it's about 150 lbs lighter if that's important to you.
pdedse_imp said:
jerrycon_imp said:
For the West Coast, I think it's a good price. I paid much more than that in March 2014. Then again, it is winter. I would have to try to get heated grips, crash bars, and luggage rack included. Of course, I tried that and failed on my own purchase, but then I completely blew my deal.

I'm an old pro at not paying a penny more than I should for an automobile, but somehow the young motorcycle salesman's tactics threw me off my game. The CB750 purchase before that, with a fellow old guy, went exactly according to plan.

Note: Research the $1000 Bonus Bucks. I'm not finding it right now, but fellow inmates will know if it's still available or not.
From the dealership's own web page, I see that the $1000 "bonus bucks" is offered for the '14 Standard. I was assuming that this is why they have the $7995 price tag on it: they sell it to customer for 8K, they get a 1000 credit from Honda and it really comes out to 9k for them. But if that 1k is at play, maybe they would listen to an offer of 7750 no freight charge...a lot more palatable for me.

I'm just over 6'3". Any tall riders out there that care to comment on the ergonomics with this bike?
I'm 6'6", 220 lbs, 36" inseam. No issues for me whatsoever. I find my DLX to be very comfortable and capable as long as I don't expect it to be something it's not.
Great! Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear, my inseam is even less at 34". I do ride long distance sometimes, but my 52 year old bones and joints are still pretty good.
 
$1,000 Honda Bonus Bucks still available on 2014 Standards.

Regarding the 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 they're probably blowing out the old inventory since there is a revised 2016 V7 II with tweaks like a 6-speed, ABS, etc.

MG also has $1,000 Customer Cash in play for 2015 and older models.

You had a Sportster before (me too), some call the V7 the Italian Sportster. Relatively simple bike, you can do your own maintenance, etc.

Go for it on either bike!

Aloha,
Huladog
 
Huladog_imp said:
$1,000 Honda Bonus Bucks still available on 2014 Standards.

Regarding the 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 they're probably blowing out the old inventory since there is a revised 2016 V7 II with tweaks like a 6-speed, ABS, etc.

MG also has $1,000 Customer Cash in play for 2015 and older models.

You had a Sportster before (me too), some call the V7 the Italian Sportster. Relatively simple bike, you can do your own maintenance, etc.

Go for it on either bike!

Aloha,
Huladog
I agree. This is likely a better explanation than the one I offered. I stand corrected.
 
LongRanger, you are right about the V9 coming soon to a MG dealer near you, then again those dealers are kinda scarce compared to Honda stores!

Aloha,
Huladog


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I have a 2009 MG V7 Classic, a 2012 BMW R1200R and a 2014 Honda CB1100. For the way I ride, the CB1100 is kind of a mash up of the V7 and the R12R.

The V7 is a great town bike and short touring bike. However, I have taken it on multiday 2k+ mile trips. The BMW is a great long touring bike (5k trip to Abilene, Tx in May) but falls short when putting around town. Low speed throttle response is herky jerky.

The CB seems to do both of those things well. Longest trip on it has been a 700 mile weekend jaunt, but the bike was great. Don't see a problem with taking it on a long trip. Low speed throttle response is much better than the R12R which is great for in town.

Surprisingly all three get about the same MPG, 40 something in town and 50 something on the open road.

As for fit and finish, the Honda and the MG are real close and better than the BMW.

The MG has 20k+ miles. The BMW has 25k+ miles and the CB has 3k+ miles.
 
Thread starter
Pete Erickson_imp said:
I have a 2009 MG V7 Classic, a 2012 BMW R1200R and a 2014 Honda CB1100. For the way I ride, the CB1100 is kind of a mash up of the V7 and the R12R.

The V7 is a great town bike and short touring bike. However, I have taken it on multiday 2k+ mile trips. The BMW is a great long touring bike (5k trip to Abilene, Tx in May) but falls short when putting around town. Low speed throttle response is herky jerky.

The CB seems to do both of those things well. Longest trip on it has been a 700 mile weekend jaunt, but the bike was great. Don't see a problem with taking it on a long trip. Low speed throttle response is much better than the R12R which is great for in town.

Surprisingly all three get about the same MPG, 40 something in town and 50 something on the open road.

As for fit and finish, the Honda and the MG are real close and better than the BMW.

The MG has 20k+ miles. The BMW has 25k+ miles and the CB has 3k+ miles.
Thank you Pete for your thoughts on the V7, CB and BMW differences. I can get a 2015 V7 for 6725 which includes freight/setup (no sales tax for me) but not tags/licensing.
 
I own both the 2014 Guzzi V7R and the 2013 Standard CB1100...some things to consider from "my" point of view as a guy that rides both bikes.

Guzzi strengths: Steel gas tank (not as common as folks think). Smooth shaft drive that's basically maint free...5.8 gal tank/well over 200+ mile range before next fill-up. Trouble free ownership. For the most part proven/reliable engine/drivetrain if you don't abuse it. Periodic maint can easily be done by owner. Sub 400 weight...claimed 395 when dry. Unique styling and engine design with retro cred. You will NOT see yourself coming and going every day. It could be months/years before you see another one. Nice instrumentation. Shifting gets smoother with miles. The torque the motor produces is surprising for a 750. Superb gear spacing in the 5 speed gear box. A 6th gear will do nothing for this bike except cause you to shift more. Brakes (lack of dual disc up front in particular) are a point lamented in many magazine articles but it's a sub-400 pound bike and they are FINE (if not stellar). Very stable at 70-85 mph for such a light bike. Cross winds don't affect it much.

Guzzi weak points: Front suspension has no preload adjustments (rear shocks do) as it comes from the dealer and is in need of tuning. 50HP at the crank/40 at rear wheel. Not a problem during most day-to-day driving but try passing at 70 mph with a slight head wind or incline. Dealer network is spotty at best. If you do have a dealer nearby they may not be there in a year. Parts take forever to arrive at dealership. Dealer maint is pricy. $502 for my first 600 mile maint visit. Aftermarket support (if you like to farkle a bike) is less than overwhelming. Bike can be cramped for taller (6'0 plus) riders. Motor gets cranky in cold weather and takes a while to warm up. Gear box fluid makes shifting tuff in cold weather until it warms up. In hot weather...direct sun at 90+ degrees the engine stumbles at idle and takes a couple of minutes to smoothen out.

CB 1100 strengths: Both bikes get chided for their power output but the CB CRUSHES the V7 at almost TWICE the horsepower. While the CB is 140 pounds more than the Guzzi it's almost impossible to tell once the CB is moving. The CB's motor is smooth/linear in torque delivery and quiet in most of it's operating range. Hondas dealer network is almost as omnipresent as the golden arches. 1st service was $96 dollars. Drop dead gorgeous retro looks with a beautiful steel tank. You will not see yourself coming and going every day....could be months or years before you see another one..Tie with the Guzzi : ) Suspension as delivered from dealer is a couple of notches above the V7's. Front suspension has preload adjustment option (as does the rear). Brakes are near perfect (although I've read on this site some owners have issues with the rear brake mine does not exhibit this). Fit and finish is high. CB feels solid/substantial at highway speeds and wind doesn't push it around. Aftermarket parts/farkles are exceptionally numerous (but somewhat pricey). Basic maint. is easy to complete. The bike is an absolute steal if you can find them at the prices folks said they go theirs at...$7600 to about $8600

CB1100 weaknesses: For me the driving range of the 2013 Standard tank isn't enough. Living out west I can easily find roads with long distances between fill ups. I mitigate this somewhat with a couple of MSR bottles but it's still an irritant with more frequent in town fill up stops required. It can be fixed (with a new tank) but it's not cheap. More than a few complain about buzziness above 4000 RPM coming through the hand grips and to a lesser degree the foot pegs (I don't notice either enough to say that it bothers me). The stock seat. In it's defense I haven't ridden a bike whose out-the-door stock seat was tolerable past 100 miles or provided all day comfort. I currently have an aftermarket seat on the CB which I bought off a member here and it's a significant improvement (K&H Café seat).

The V7 power output will be VERY noticeable if you're stepping down from a motor putting out 80-100+ HP. to the point you may not ever be satisfied with the bike. Few road bikes put out less but I actually was riding one and so it was a step up for me. In town riding with an occasional longer back country weekend jaunt the Guzzi will be fine. Longer trips and frequent highway runs would give the nod towards the CB. Dealer location and reputation would definitely be a consideration if I was leaning towards the Guzzi.

I like one as much as the other BUT, for very different reasons.
 
Thread starter
Frulk_imp said:
I own both the 2014 Guzzi V7R and the 2013 Standard CB1100...some things to consider from "my" point of view as a guy that rides both bikes.

Guzzi strengths: Steel gas tank (not as common as folks think). Smooth shaft drive that's basically maint free...5.8 gal tank/well over 200+ mile range before next fill-up. Trouble free ownership. For the most part proven/reliable engine/drivetrain if you don't abuse it. Periodic maint can easily be done by owner. Sub 400 weight...claimed 395 when dry. Unique styling and engine design with retro cred. You will NOT see yourself coming and going every day. It could be months/years before you see another one. Nice instrumentation. Shifting gets smoother with miles. The torque the motor produces is surprising for a 750. Superb gear spacing in the 5 speed gear box. A 6th gear will do nothing for this bike except cause you to shift more. Brakes (lack of dual disc up front in particular) are a point lamented in many magazine articles but it's a sub-400 pound bike and they are FINE (if not stellar). Very stable at 70-85 mph for such a light bike. Cross winds don't affect it much.

Guzzi weak points: Front suspension has no preload adjustments (rear shocks do) as it comes from the dealer and is in need of tuning. 50HP at the crank/40 at rear wheel. Not a problem during most day-to-day driving but try passing at 70 mph with a slight head wind or incline. Dealer network is spotty at best. If you do have a dealer nearby they may not be there in a year. Parts take forever to arrive at dealership. Dealer maint is pricy. $502 for my first 600 mile maint visit. Aftermarket support (if you like to farkle a bike) is less than overwhelming. Bike can be cramped for taller (6'0 plus) riders. Motor gets cranky in cold weather and takes a while to warm up. Gear box fluid makes shifting tuff in cold weather until it warms up. In hot weather...direct sun at 90+ degrees the engine stumbles at idle and takes a couple of minutes to smoothen out.

CB 1100 strengths: Both bikes get chided for their power output but the CB CRUSHES the V7 at almost TWICE the horsepower. While the CB is 140 pounds more than the Guzzi it's almost impossible to tell once the CB is moving. The CB's motor is smooth/linear in torque delivery and quiet in most of it's operating range. Hondas dealer network is almost as omnipresent as the golden arches. 1st service was $96 dollars. Drop dead gorgeous retro looks with a beautiful steel tank. You will not see yourself coming and going every day....could be months or years before you see another one..Tie with the Guzzi : ) Suspension as delivered from dealer is a couple of notches above the V7's. Front suspension has preload adjustment option (as does the rear). Brakes are near perfect (although I've read on this site some owners have issues with the rear brake mine does not exhibit this). Fit and finish is high. CB feels solid/substantial at highway speeds and wind doesn't push it around. Aftermarket parts/farkles are exceptionally numerous (but somewhat pricey). Basic maint. is easy to complete. The bike is an absolute steal if you can find them at the prices folks said they go theirs at...$7600 to about $8600

CB1100 weaknesses: For me the driving range of the 2013 Standard tank isn't enough. Living out west I can easily find roads with long distances between fill ups. I mitigate this somewhat with a couple of MSR bottles but it's still an irritant with more frequent in town fill up stops required. It can be fixed (with a new tank) but it's not cheap. More than a few complain about buzziness above 4000 RPM coming through the hand grips and to a lesser degree the foot pegs (I don't notice either enough to say that it bothers me). The stock seat. In it's defense I haven't ridden a bike whose out-the-door stock seat was tolerable past 100 miles or provided all day comfort. I currently have an aftermarket seat on the CB which I bought off a member here and it's a significant improvement (K&H Café seat).

The V7 power output will be VERY noticeable if you're stepping down from a motor putting out 80-100+ HP. to the point you may not ever be satisfied with the bike. Few road bikes put out less but I actually was riding one and so it was a step up for me. In town riding with an occasional longer back country weekend jaunt the Guzzi will be fine. Longer trips and frequent highway runs would give the nod towards the CB. Dealer location and reputation would definitely be a consideration if I was leaning towards the Guzzi.

I like one as much as the other BUT, for very different reasons.
Wow, Frulk! Excellent summary of the two, can't thank you enough as I really like both these bikes...but as you say, "for very different reasons."

Looks like I can get the '14 CB Standard for $8495 or the '15 V7 Special for $6725, that's a true comparison, both prices include dealer freight and setup, but not licensing and tags. That's a $1770 price difference...hmmmm. Still thinking it over...
 
Bought my CB early part of this year for $8800 out the door. The V7 is actually a V7R so the price is above and beyond the V7 Special due to a number of components...Bitubo shocks-CNC milled rear sets etc.

One note. MGuzzi has recently added some THEME packages for their V7 line. Look them up on their webpage. Basically full blown packages that allow you to change the character/look of your bike to a Scrambler/Racer etc. They aren't cheap. I'm under the impression they will sell individual parts thereof.
 
pdedse_imp said:
jerrycon_imp said:
For the West Coast, I think it's a good price. I paid much more than that in March 2014. Then again, it is winter. I would have to try to get heated grips, crash bars, and luggage rack included. Of course, I tried that and failed on my own purchase, but then I completely blew my deal.

I'm an old pro at not paying a penny more than I should for an automobile, but somehow the young motorcycle salesman's tactics threw me off my game. The CB750 purchase before that, with a fellow old guy, went exactly according to plan.

Note: Research the $1000 Bonus Bucks. I'm not finding it right now, but fellow inmates will know if it's still available or not.
From the dealership's own web page, I see that the $1000 "bonus bucks" is offered for the '14 Standard. I was assuming that this is why they have the $7995 price tag on it: they sell it to customer for 8K, they get a 1000 credit from Honda and it really comes out to 9k for them. But if that 1k is at play, maybe they would listen to an offer of 7750 no freight charge...a lot more palatable for me.

I'm just over 6'3". Any tall riders out there that care to comment on the ergonomics with this bike?
I'm 6' even, but have a 34" inseam, and at 58 years old, I found leg room a little cramped. Up until 4 or 5 years ago I had nothing but sportbikes for 30+ years, but these days just don't feel comfortable folding myself up into anything short of La-Z-Boy-recliner-type-comfort positioning.
I bought one of the "high" seats from Samurider (about an inch or so taller than stock), and all ills were immediately cured - in fact, my Tiro seat is also THE most comfortable seat I've ever had on a motorcycle. All other ergonomics are perfect on the bike; now it truly is the best-fitting, most comfortable bike (for me, anyway) that I've ever owned.
Best of luck with your search!
 
Thread starter
Papa Weeley_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
jerrycon_imp said:
For the West Coast, I think it's a good price. I paid much more than that in March 2014. Then again, it is winter. I would have to try to get heated grips, crash bars, and luggage rack included. Of course, I tried that and failed on my own purchase, but then I completely blew my deal.

I'm an old pro at not paying a penny more than I should for an automobile, but somehow the young motorcycle salesman's tactics threw me off my game. The CB750 purchase before that, with a fellow old guy, went exactly according to plan.

Note: Research the $1000 Bonus Bucks. I'm not finding it right now, but fellow inmates will know if it's still available or not.
From the dealership's own web page, I see that the $1000 "bonus bucks" is offered for the '14 Standard. I was assuming that this is why they have the $7995 price tag on it: they sell it to customer for 8K, they get a 1000 credit from Honda and it really comes out to 9k for them. But if that 1k is at play, maybe they would listen to an offer of 7750 no freight charge...a lot more palatable for me.

I'm just over 6'3". Any tall riders out there that care to comment on the ergonomics with this bike?
I'm 6' even, but have a 34" inseam, and at 58 years old, I found leg room a little cramped. Up until 4 or 5 years ago I had nothing but sportbikes for 30+ years, but these days just don't feel comfortable folding myself up into anything short of La-Z-Boy-recliner-type-comfort positioning.
I bought one of the "high" seats from Samurider (about an inch or so taller than stock), and all ills were immediately cured - in fact, my Tiro seat is also THE most comfortable seat I've ever had on a motorcycle. All other ergonomics are perfect on the bike; now it truly is the best-fitting, most comfortable bike (for me, anyway) that I've ever owned.
Best of luck with your search!
I'm 6' even, but have a 34" inseam, and at 58 years old, I found leg room a little cramped. Up until 4 or 5 years ago I had nothing but sportbikes for 30+ years, but these days just don't feel comfortable folding myself up into anything short of La-Z-Boy-recliner-type-comfort positioning.
I bought one of the "high" seats from Samurider (about an inch or so taller than stock), and all ills were immediately cured - in fact, my Tiro seat is also THE most comfortable seat I've ever had on a motorcycle. All other ergonomics are perfect on the bike; now it truly is the best-fitting, most comfortable bike (for me, anyway) that I've ever owned.
Best of luck with your search!
Hey, Papa Weeley,

Thanks so much for the comment. How much did that Samurider seat cost you if you don't mind me asking? My inseam is 34" as well and the slightly cramped position plus shifter angle are my only reservations.
 
Hi guys. I am back reconsidering a 2014 Standard. I have a ZX14R and LOVE it but am considering selling it to buy either a new CB or a 2016 V7 stone 2. I would earn some money selling the Z and buying one of these two, and I am curious if anyone has anything new to add. The CB and the V7 stone 2 would be about the same OTD price. I would have to travel to pick up either, but am fine doing so. Basically, I know how good the CB is and know it can handle most things I would want of it. I like that its 0-60 time is better and it has more passing power than the MG, but the easy MG maintenance (shaft drive) and the novelty of it is intriguing to me. I know this is a Honda forum, but can anyone make a strong case for the Guzzi? It is the cheaper price of the 2 by about $200. FYI i am 6' and 175 lbs. Looking forward to hear anyone's insight!
 
Thread starter
Well, I started this post a year and a half ago...I ended up buying the CB1100. But I have a good friend who purchased the MG V7 III or whatever the '16 version is called, and I get to ride it occasionally, so I feel I can compare both. I bought the CB even though at the time it was about $1500 more. I think I would have been happy either way. Lots of guys like the quiet hum of the CB, but I like the throaty V7 better--and it's not loud, just lets you know it's there!

I've ridden the CB from OR to Illinois and back, and have a good feel for it and what it will do long distance wise--I think it did just fine! I'm 6'3" plus with 34" inseam. It's a bit tight on the CB, but seat pads and engine guards with hiway pegs did the trick. the thing about the V7 is that the heads stick out sideways and I can't see how hiway pegs could be mounted w/out knees hitting. In that regard the CB was better for me--easier to set up for long distance riding. But the V7 pulls as nice, it's a bit lighter, that I would like. It only has 5 gears? Maybe the '16 has six, I forget. The CB '14 does have six....what else...yes, V7 valve check is going to be A LOT easier to do, and lots less money if the shop is doing it. The CB feels a little roomier to me, but not that much. I do like the non-spoke wheels of the CB '14...does the V7 you're looking at have spoke wheels? That's was a big plus for the CB for me.

Dealerships...you have to drive to both? Will you take the bikes there for service? Zero issues so far with the CB at 8k miles. My friend's V7 only has low mileage so not sure how that will play out.

They both look spectacular in my view. Do you like something other than black? Then the V7, right?

Good luck!
 
pdedse_imp said:
Well, I started this post a year and a half ago...I ended up buying the CB1100. But I have a good friend who purchased the MG V7 III or whatever the '16 version is called, and I get to ride it occasionally, so I feel I can compare both. I bought the CB even though at the time it was about $1500 more. I think I would have been happy either way. Lots of guys like the quiet hum of the CB, but I like the throaty V7 better--and it's not loud, just lets you know it's there!

I've ridden the CB from OR to Illinois and back, and have a good feel for it and what it will do long distance wise--I think it did just fine! I'm 6'3" plus with 34" inseam. It's a bit tight on the CB, but seat pads and engine guards with hiway pegs did the trick. the thing about the V7 is that the heads stick out sideways and I can't see how hiway pegs could be mounted w/out knees hitting. In that regard the CB was better for me--easier to set up for long distance riding. But the V7 pulls as nice, it's a bit lighter, that I would like. It only has 5 gears? Maybe the '16 has six, I forget. The CB '14 does have six....what else...yes, V7 valve check is going to be A LOT easier to do, and lots less money if the shop is doing it. The CB feels a little roomier to me, but not that much. I do like the non-spoke wheels of the CB '14...does the V7 you're looking at have spoke wheels? That's was a big plus for the CB for me.

Dealerships...you have to drive to both? Will you take the bikes there for service? Zero issues so far with the CB at 8k miles. My friend's V7 only has low mileage so not sure how that will play out.

They both look spectacular in my view. Do you like something other than black? Then the V7, right?

Good luck!
Thanks so much for your response. I appreciate your $0.02. For what it is worth when you say the V7 pulls as much...my understanding was that it was much slower than the CB. I looked at 0-60 times and the CB seemed to blow it away (2 seconds faster according to 0-60 Times | Find 0 to 60 & Quarter Mile Times Car Specs). Regarding maintenance, I have a Honda dealer near me but like to do my own work when possible. I DON'T have a MG dealer near me so I guess if anything bad happened I would be screwed :). I like the engine and the throatiness more of the V7 but it wouldn't me enough alone to make me get it. It definitely is a plus though. And in terms of wheels I agree, I don't like spokes so I was looking at the V7 stone (with non-spoked wheels) in flat silver color. That version does have 6 gears by the way. I like that the 2014 CB has 6 as well.
 
Here is my .02 .... warning this might ramble a bit, but it's 5:30 am and I can't sleep lol

I have not ridden the V7 in it's current form but I have ridden it's predecessor the Breva 750. Thought I wanted one until I test rode it, then I wondered where the power and brakes were. People tell me that is all the power you need. People on CBR 250s also tell me thats all the power you need. I needed more. I needed more than my Cb750 Nighthawk had. I needed more than my 790 Bonneville had. I love the power and power delivery of my CB1100. I tell people the CB1100 has all the power you need but some people feel IT is underpowered, so that's all relative I guess. My last non touring bike before my CB was a 125 HP Yamaha FZ-1. That had more power than I could use lol

People that own Guzzis tend to really like them, and of course as you can tell around here people really like their CB's as well. Motorcyclists tend to be rather transient, so they tend to love their current bikes until they get the lust for something new.

Some people love what is refered to as charachter... I call it qwerkyness... or as I describe charachter... " they like the thought that their bike might not make it home that day. They don't mind if it leaves a puddle of oil when parked. They don't mind if it shakes or vibrates, or if it might not start. Bikes with dodgy electrics, and iffy reliabilty records." That somehow gets translated to mean " charachter". My son has a bike with character. A Ducati Monster. That charachter has been brought home on a trailer and to the dealer more than once. Heck more than three times lol. Yep it's cool when it's running, but not when he is sitting on the side of the road waiting for me to bring the trailer again.

For Guzzi's, owners become endeared with the rocking of the Guzzi at idle, and the fact that you don't see many of them on the road, and the unique cylinder layout. Do yourself a favor and go to the Guzzi forums and see what people are saying about the Goose. I did recently, and was shocked how many had serious issues with low mileage bikes. Electrical problems, poor transmissions, some barely making it home from the dealership when new. But hey, they have "charachter". Most Guzzi's I assume are reliable enough I suppose. There are people that tour on them I have read, although I have never seen one on the road. Which brings up another issue for bikes with charachter.. Dealer network. Seems the bikes with the most charachter have the thinnest dealer network. Like my son's Ducati which requires a 2 hour each way trailer ride each time it needs anything. Something to consider.

The CB is of course not fault free. We have had several around the world with idle issues. A couple with poor rear brake performance, but that's about it. I can't recall in 4 years one on this forum having to be trailered home except for one that was crashed. Can't recall any having motor or transmission issues. Can barely recall one needing a valve adjustment, or a chain adjustment. Maybe 1 or 2 that had an issue that required using the warranty. The vast majority of us sailed through the warranty period without ever needing it. Yep they lack charachter but make up for that with Swiss watch like precision and efficiency. I for one appreciate that. Great fit and finish, large dealer network. That gives me piece of mind. I have no fear that when I leave in the morning I will be pulling into my garage or into a hotel parking lot at the end of a days ride on my own, and that it is going to start again tomorrow when I do it all over again.

See told you this might ramble lol. I need another cup of tea.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Here is my .02 .... warning this might ramble a bit, but it's 5:30 am and I can't sleep lol

I have not ridden the V7 in it's current form but I have ridden it's predecessor the Breva 750. Thought I wanted one until I test rode it, then I wondered where the power and brakes were. People tell me that is all the power you need. People on CBR 250s also tell me thats all the power you need. I needed more. I needed more than my Cb750 Nighthawk had. I needed more than my 790 Bonneville had. I love the power and power delivery of my CB1100. I tell people the CB1100 has all the power you need but some people feel IT is underpowered, so that's all relative I guess. My last non touring bike before my CB was a 125 HP Yamaha FZ-1. That had more power than I could use lol

People that own Guzzis tend to really like them, and of course as you can tell around here people really like their CB's as well. Motorcyclists tend to be rather transient, so they tend to love their current bikes until they get the lust for something new.

Some people love what is refered to as charachter... I call it qwerkyness... or as I describe charachter... " they like the thought that their bike might not make it home that day. They don't mind if it leaves a puddle of oil when parked. They don't mind if it shakes or vibrates, or if it might not start. Bikes with dodgy electrics, and iffy reliabilty records." That somehow gets translated to mean " charachter". My son has a bike with character. A Ducati Monster. That charachter has been brought home on a trailer and to the dealer more than once. Heck more than three times lol. Yep it's cool when it's running, but not when he is sitting on the side of the road waiting for me to bring the trailer again.

For Guzzi's, owners become endeared with the rocking of the Guzzi at idle, and the fact that you don't see many of them on the road, and the unique cylinder layout. Do yourself a favor and go to the Guzzi forums and see what people are saying about the Goose. I did recently, and was shocked how many had serious issues with low mileage bikes. Electrical problems, poor transmissions, some barely making it home from the dealership when new. But hey, they have "charachter". Most Guzzi's I assume are reliable enough I suppose. There are people that tour on them I have read, although I have never seen one on the road. Which brings up another issue for bikes with charachter.. Dealer network. Seems the bikes with the most charachter have the thinnest dealer network. Like my son's Ducati which requires a 2 hour each way trailer ride each time it needs anything. Something to consider.

The CB is of course not fault free. We have had several around the world with idle issues. A couple with poor rear brake performance, but that's about it. I can't recall in 4 years one on this forum having to be trailered home except for one that was crashed. Can't recall any having motor or transmission issues. Can barely recall one needing a valve adjustment, or a chain adjustment. Maybe 1 or 2 that had an issue that required using the warranty. The vast majority of us sailed through the warranty period without ever needing it. Yep they lack charachter but make up for that with Swiss watch like precision and efficiency. I for one appreciate that. Great fit and finish, large dealer network. That gives me piece of mind. I have no fear that when I leave in the morning I will be pulling into my garage or into a hotel parking lot at the end of a days ride on my own, and that it is going to start again tomorrow when I do it all over again.

See told you this might ramble lol. I need another cup of tea.
Great stuff. Thank you ferret!
 
Back
Top