Is $12.3K OTD a good deal on a new 2014 deluxe

AndyHe, Congratulations on a getting the bike you wanted at a reasonable price. Welcome aboard. I'm sure you will be very happy with it, just like other folks around here. Some people don't like the bike, but fortunately we don't see much of them.

It's not really my place to say this, but a couple of things seem to happen here: first, photos are essential. Sometime on Saturday we'll be looking for a picture of your beautiful new red ride.

Secondly, it might be nice if you were to toddle over to the new members section, say g'day and tell us a bit about yourself. But that's up to you. No matter what, it's good to have you around.
 
Buy the engine guards. You can't buy the deluxe rear rack from a usa dealer. They can't even get it if you give them the honda part #. Buy the bike and be happy.
 
AndyHe_imp said:
Well he called me this morning to haggle more. I got them to agree to $11,850 otd plus selling me any accessories at cost plus tax. I called other dealers in the area and that's probably about as good as I'm going to get for this area so I'll pick up the bike on Friday. It's not a great price but it's not horrible either considering the > $1050 just in taxes and licensing fees.

Now I just need to decide if I want the engine guards and luggage rack at cost or not. Definitely yes on the engine guards but I'm thinking about buying the honda top box from samurider which includes the luggage rack.

The reason why I didn't wait was because this is exactly the bike I want. Even if they came out with spokes and different colors for 2015, I'd want the deluxe just as it is today. Could have waited for a used deluxe to come on the market but there's something about that new bike smell...
That's not bad, I think I paid $11,200 including everything for my 2013, so you got a deluxe for a little more.
Don't rush into accessories, you have all winter to think about them, and you'll lose any price advantage you gained on the purchase.
For instance, I went with Moriwaki? sliders instead of engine guards for mine. Also went through a few helmets, jackets, luggage, etc.
Take your time.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all the tips and encouragement!

Well I may be jumping the gun but I'm quite excited about taking delivery so I just ordered the Honda top box, engine guards, and Road Comet 1 in red with stripes from Samurider. Guess I'm really committed to this whole thing now. I'll post pictures when I get it all.

I used to have a small fairing similar to the road comet on my CB400T back in college and loved it. Not so sure about how the top box will look but that was necessary to get my wife as passenger on the bike as she would only ride if she had something behind her.
 
Check out RandyB's bike:

e57014f614e5178fd7f896730371df97.jpg
 
Thread starter
Great picture. I'm looking for the same look except not going for the taller windscreen.

It looks like in that picture that the luggage rack is slightly higher than the rear seat. Anyone have any experience with the luggage rack being in the way when a passenger is on the back? Hopefully their legs/butt aren't also resting on the luggage rack supports as that might be uncomfortable.
 
AndyHe' pid='67163' dateline='1416941517 said:
Well he called me this morning to haggle more. I got them to agree to $11,850 otd plus selling me any accessories at cost plus tax. I called other dealers in the area and that's probably about as good as I'm going to get for this area so I'll pick up the bike on Friday. It's not a great price but it's not horrible either considering the > $1050 just in taxes and licensing fees.

Now I just need to decide if I want the engine guards and luggage rack at cost or not. Definitely yes on the engine guards but I'm thinking about buying the honda top box from samurider which includes the luggage rack.

The reason why I didn't wait was because this is exactly the bike I want. Even if they came out with spokes and different colors for 2015, I'd want the deluxe just as it is today. Could have waited for a used deluxe to come on the market but there's something about that new bike smell...

Just a thought, The price you paid just fades away as you drive away. That's how I felt with every bike I've purchased. Enjoy!
 
I have a top box for my other Honda, a tourer, but IMO the top box completely ruins the look, the feel, and the retro-ness of the bike. I did put on the luggage rack, maybe partly because I did have a rack on my late 70s CBs back in the day. But some of my friends who really do "get it" about this bike, still bust my horns over it. I feel the bike looks a lot better with a soft bag tied to the rack.
 
I've a Givi topbox on my CB1100. ClassicVW's right about its effect on the look of the bike, but it's so handy I can't bring myself to lose it.
 
Thread starter
I will probably just have the top box on when my wife is going to be a passenger as I agree it does detract big time from the looks. Hopefully it goes on and off easily.
 
I have this rack at my CB:

5d937395a6a0c2715f2fb692217f3bba.jpg


My wife really likes the little support at her back. It gives her confidence and support, not to slip back from the seat. :thumbsup:
 
Here's my CB with it's Givi box on a custom Daytona rack. My wife is much happier riding with the top box there.



Interesting that the rack sits lower along the seat than the OEM offering.
 
That's the one, Ridem. Just love it.
 
Cormanus there is nothing wrong riding the slower black bikes. :). Just let us red bikes lead the way. We will wait on you at the next stop sign. Lol
By they way!! That looked like a very nice place where ever you was. The landscape was very nice. Trees and all
 
Back
Top