New 2014, Not sure if I have a problem

mturmelle_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi Folks,

Relatively new to the forum, been around —- lurking —-for a couple of months before purchasing a new 2014 standard. I, like others, got a great deal...was heading in to buy a new Kawasaki Z900RS, but after reading the forum, looking at the CB1100, test-riding, and comparing the CB’s $6,400 price tag to the Kawa, it was a no-brainer for me. I’m 53 and have owned/ridden a motorcycle since I was 17. The CB1100 is my fourth Honda. I’ve also owned Ducati and Suzuki, but always seem to come back to Honda.

I’ve noticed that at speeds above 40 or so and around 2500-3200 RPM, I’m feeling some roughness while riding. Here is my dilemma...I can’t tell if I maybe have:

1. a flat spot on a tire from sitting in a crate for 4 years;
2. a problem with the fork/suspension; or
3. what I’m feeling is the engine.
4. I even considered that I might be feeling wind buffeting at higher speeds.

I’m only experiencing the reputed smoothness of the big in-line 4 in certain circumstances. At other times, I feel a less smooth, almost rough ride. I’m perturbed that I can’t put my finger on the problem or more aptly describe the sensation.

I am aware that the Honda engineers intentionally gave the engine a special “character” (I hate that term) by changing the cylinder firing order, right? Could this be what I’m sensing?

I had a similar sensation from my 2001 Ducati, which was sorted out after a minor valve adjustment. It doesn’t seem possible that a new but crated 2014 could have valves that are out of spec.

Any thoughts?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Have you personally checked tire pressure, checked chain tension and/ or lubed the chain? Run some Seafoam through it? Wear a jacket where the collar doesn't flap? Does the roughness go away when you pull in the clutch? Accelerate? Downshift?

My advice would be see how it feels after 2000 miles at which point these engines are broken in and everything is seated properly. You should see an increase in gas mileage at that point as well.

If you get the opportuniy, try meeting up with a fellow forum member and see if you can switch bikes for a short ride so you can feel theirs and just importantly they can feel yours. It may be normal and just something you are not used to.

Diagnosing something like this over the internet can just make you go crazy as people suggest it could be one thing or another, and then all of a sudden you are worrying about all kinds of stuff, when there may not be anything wrong at all.

You are covered by a warranty for a year from purchase. I would suggest at this point, that you just ride it, and try not to obsess over every little thing.
 
I’ve noticed that at speeds above 40 or so and around 2500-3200 RPM, I’m feeling some roughness while riding.

My 2014 suffered from a similar roughness when new. Had it back to the dealer twice, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. "If" it's the engine running slightly rough (like mine was), then try the throttle position sensor reset - it cured my problem immediately: With the engine off, and the key on, slowly rotate the throttle to wide open, then slowly back to full closed. Repeat two more times. Turn off key, turn key on, restart, and test ride. Please post your results. Good luck.
 
Thread starter
Ferret - I have done all but the Seafoam. Tire pressure set to spec, chain lubed and at right tension. I will try the throttle reset and Seafoam.....and then just ride! Just wanted to make sure that I didn’t miss something that all of you guys with a ton of experience might have discovered. I have read thousands of posts on the forum before posing my question. I appreciate all of your help...before today by sharing your experiences and today as well.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dave, thanks for the throttle reset suggestion. I will try that and let you know how it goes!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
And, just so you know, the firing order doesn’t change. It done by the cam timing (lobe position on the cams) on, IIRC 2 cyls. Sportsterdoc or Powerdubs will most likely be along to explain it better than I.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
And, just so you know, the firing order doesn’t change. It done by the cam timing (lobe position on the cams) on, IIRC 2 cyls. Sportsterdoc or Powerdubs will most likely be along to explain it better than I.

Thanks Popgun.
Dave_imp said:
I’ve noticed that at speeds above 40 or so and around 2500-3200 RPM, I’m feeling some roughness while riding.

My 2014 suffered from a similar roughness when new. Had it back to the dealer twice, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. "If" it's the engine running slightly rough (like mine was), then try the throttle position sensor reset - it cured my problem immediately: With the engine off, and the key on, slowly rotate the throttle to wide open, then slowly back to full closed. Repeat two more times. Turn off key, turn key on, restart, and test ride. Please post your results. Good luck.

Thanks, Dave. I will try the throttle reset tomorrow and Ill let you know if there is an improvement.
 
Would start with tire's flat spot (one or both?...most likely front, cuz touches ground) after sitting for 4 years = may never recover to proper roundness. May pump up to MAX tire pressure (it will say on its sidewall) and test by spinning and riding...MAX TIRE pressure....psi
>
Do not dig too deep for no reason in other areas...
Good luck
 
I bought my 2014 last year and had the same issue. I assumed it was flat spotted tires. I decided to just live with the problem for the first year before I replaced the tires. I put about 2000 miles on the bike in the half season of riding. The issue slowly went away and I no longer feel it. I have about 4000 miles on the bike now and will replace the tires next spring.

jim
 
mturmelle_imp said:
Hi Folks,

Relatively new to the forum, been around —- lurking —-for a couple of months before purchasing a new 2014 standard. I, like others, got a great deal...was heading in to buy a new Kawasaki Z900RS, but after reading the forum, looking at the CB1100, test-riding, and comparing the CB’s $6,400 price tag to the Kawa, it was a no-brainer for me. I’m 53 and have owned/ridden a motorcycle since I was 17. The CB1100 is my fourth Honda. I’ve also owned Ducati and Suzuki, but always seem to come back to Honda.

I’ve noticed that at speeds above 40 or so and around 2500-3200 RPM, I’m feeling some roughness while riding. Here is my dilemma...I can’t tell if I maybe have:

1. a flat spot on a tire from sitting in a crate for 4 years;
2. a problem with the fork/suspension; or
3. what I’m feeling is the engine.
4. I even considered that I might be feeling wind buffeting at higher speeds.

I’m only experiencing the reputed smoothness of the big in-line 4 in certain circumstances. At other times, I feel a less smooth, almost rough ride. I’m perturbed that I can’t put my finger on the problem or more aptly describe the sensation.

I am aware that the Honda engineers intentionally gave the engine a special “character” (I hate that term) by changing the cylinder firing order, right? Could this be what I’m sensing?

I had a similar sensation from my 2001 Ducati, which was sorted out after a minor valve adjustment. It doesn’t seem possible that a new but crated 2014 could have valves that are out of spec.

Any thoughts?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I had a similar issue with my bike when new. And it worsened during the first 1000km. Back two the dealer, and they found both (both!) tyres to be slightly out of round (new from factory!).

New set, and problem solved (although I was paranoid about it for some time, and any slight vibration made me think the worse for a while... :rofl: )
 
Thread starter
jtopiso_imp said:
mturmelle_imp said:
Hi Folks,

Relatively new to the forum, been around —- lurking —-for a couple of months before purchasing a new 2014 standard. I, like others, got a great deal...was heading in to buy a new Kawasaki Z900RS, but after reading the forum, looking at the CB1100, test-riding, and comparing the CB’s $6,400 price tag to the Kawa, it was a no-brainer for me. I’m 53 and have owned/ridden a motorcycle since I was 17. The CB1100 is my fourth Honda. I’ve also owned Ducati and Suzuki, but always seem to come back to Honda.

I’ve noticed that at speeds above 40 or so and around 2500-3200 RPM, I’m feeling some roughness while riding. Here is my dilemma...I can’t tell if I maybe have:

1. a flat spot on a tire from sitting in a crate for 4 years;
2. a problem with the fork/suspension; or
3. what I’m feeling is the engine.
4. I even considered that I might be feeling wind buffeting at higher speeds.

I’m only experiencing the reputed smoothness of the big in-line 4 in certain circumstances. At other times, I feel a less smooth, almost rough ride. I’m perturbed that I can’t put my finger on the problem or more aptly describe the sensation.

I am aware that the Honda engineers intentionally gave the engine a special “character” (I hate that term) by changing the cylinder firing order, right? Could this be what I’m sensing?

I had a similar sensation from my 2001 Ducati, which was sorted out after a minor valve adjustment. It doesn’t seem possible that a new but crated 2014 could have valves that are out of spec.

Any thoughts?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I had a similar issue with my bike when new. And it worsened during the first 1000km. Back two the dealer, and they found both (both!) tyres to be slightly out of round (new from factory!).

New set, and problem solved (although I was paranoid about it for some time, and any slight vibration made me think the worse for a while... :rofl: )
I had a similar issue with my bike when new. And it worsened during the first 1000km. Back two the dealer, and they found both (both!) tyres to be slightly out of round (new from factory!).

New set, and problem solved (although I was paranoid about it for some time, and any slight vibration made me think the worse for a while... :rofl: ) I had a similar issue with my bike when new. And it worsened during the first 1000km. Back two the dealer, and they found both (both!) tyres to be slightly out of round (new from factory!).

New set, and problem solved (although I was paranoid about it for some time, and any slight vibration made me think the worse for a while... :rofl: )
Thanks, guys. I will have dealer look at tires as I'm coming up on my first services.
 
Well, I am feeling the type of frustration that can only be felt after leaving a dealership when you know that the service manager didn’t really care to provide service to you. I brought the bike in for it’s first service primarily to have the rough riding characteristics looked into (I normally do my own oil changes). After making some minor adjustments to the front and rear suspension, the service manager proclaimed that the bike was now riding great and that they could not replicate the issue between 45-55 mph (despite gear and despite rpm). I rode less than 5 minutes to the interstate. As soon as I hit 45 mph, the roughness returned. I now firmly believe that this is a tire issue. Thinking about taking it to a different dealer. Assuming that if the stock tires had a flat spot (after sitting in a crate for four years), any dealer could replace under warranty? I’m actually thinking about just buying new tires myself, just to ease my worrying mind.
 
It’s so very annoying when you think you’ve been blown off by a dealer or other service provider.

Can you find a specialist tyre dealer and go and talk to them? Or a small specialist motorcycle workshop where you might get better service? You could also try asking a friend to ride your bike for you to see whether they have the same issue.
 
1. What is the tire pressure?

2. On the center stand, hand spin the rear tire and look for out of round.

3. Block up the front of the frame so the front tire can spin and look for out of round.

4. Pull the spark plugs and check that all 4 are clean.
 
Cormanus - exactly. I felt blown off. I’ve been riding for almost 35 years. I’m not an idiot. I’ve had poor service at this dealer before and I only purchased there because they had “new” 2014’s.

Sportsterdoc, I think it is the front tire. I showed it to the service manager. He told me that they would take a good look at it. He later told me that they didn’t look at the tires because the tech adjusted the suspension settings and the bike was “running great.” I haven’t looked at the plugs, but I will do that to eliminate that as a possible cause.
 
Blokes who know about tyres—and Im not one of them—can have a quick look and tell you if they're out of shape. Why would the dealer not check anyway. My mechanic always has a good look at all that stuff when I take the bike to him.
 
If the shop isn't up to snuff as is- do NOT have them look at the plugs.

What's a TQ wrench? Says the monkey as they stress or strip your fragile aluminum threads....

Your plugs are fine..and certainly wouldn't be speed dependent. If anything they would be more noticeable at idle as a percentage of misfire.
 
mjturmelle_imp said:
Cormanus - exactly. I felt blown off. I’ve been riding for almost 35 years. I’m not an idiot. I’ve had poor service at this dealer before and I only purchased there because they had “new” 2014’s.

Sportsterdoc, I think it is the front tire. I showed it to the service manager. He told me that they would take a good look at it. He later told me that they didn’t look at the tires because the tech adjusted the suspension settings and the bike was “running great.” I haven’t looked at the plugs, but I will do that to eliminate that as a possible cause.
The cam covers make good hand warmers in the winter...at least for the left hand. Put a gloved hand on one when rough and not rough and feel if it is in the motor (not likely) or not.

As for the plugs, that was step 4, after 1-3. If the tire pressure is not super high (I like 38 in the front), if the front is not out of round, then it could be something as simple as a plug wire not secure and bouncing at certain rpms. If so, (a) the affected plug may not be burning as clean and (b) you would find the loose plug cap when checking the plugs. I checked mine 3 times in about 10,000 miles. They always looked like new.
PowerDubs_imp said:
If the shop isn't up to snuff as is- do NOT have them look at the plugs.

What's a TQ wrench? Says the monkey as they stress or strip your fragile aluminum threads....

Your plugs are fine..and certainly wouldn't be speed dependent. If anything they would be more noticeable at idle as a percentage of misfire.
Assumptions can mislead remote diagnostics. If I stated reasons for each suggestion, each time, my posts would be much longer.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
mjturmelle_imp said:
Cormanus - exactly. I felt blown off. I’ve been riding for almost 35 years. I’m not an idiot. I’ve had poor service at this dealer before and I only purchased there because they had “new” 2014’s.

Sportsterdoc, I think it is the front tire. I showed it to the service manager. He told me that they would take a good look at it. He later told me that they didn’t look at the tires because the tech adjusted the suspension settings and the bike was “running great.” I haven’t looked at the plugs, but I will do that to eliminate that as a possible cause.
The cam covers make good hand warmers in the winter...at least for the left hand. Put a gloved hand on one when rough and not rough and feel if it is in the motor (not likely) or not.

As for the plugs, that was step 4, after 1-3. If the tire pressure is not super high (I like 38 in the front), if the front is not out of round, then it could be something as simple as a plug wire not secure and bouncing at certain rpms. If so, (a) the affected plug may not be burning as clean and (b) you would find the loose plug cap when checking the plugs. I checked mine 3 times in about 10,000 miles. They always looked like new.
PowerDubs_imp said:
If the shop isn't up to snuff as is- do NOT have them look at the plugs.

What's a TQ wrench? Says the monkey as they stress or strip your fragile aluminum threads....

Your plugs are fine..and certainly wouldn't be speed dependent. If anything they would be more noticeable at idle as a percentage of misfire.
Assumptions can mislead remote diagnostics. If I stated reasons for each suggestion, each time, my posts would be much longer.

No- knowledge and experience can disregard needless time, effort and possible damage.

There is ZERO chance on a leftover '14 of bad plugs.

There is ZERO chance on a leftover '14 of a loose plug cap causing roughness that only shows up at 45mph.

In fact- I'd say you can take a '14 leftover bike out of a crate in '24, '34, '44, '54, '64.. and it would start right up with a new battery and fuel if it was always dry- running perfectly.

I repeat- do NOT have them check the plugs. More harm than good can come from that. If you want to do it yourself- buy a tq wrench and do it right. It is not the cause of your problem and will not fix the issue.

You are correct it probably is the tire- but that also may go away with a long higher speed ride at proper tire pressure to heat the carcass. Hit the highway and cruise for an hour out and back at 80mph.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, gentlemen. The interesting thing - and the reason that I believe that it is the tire(s) - is that I have figured out that it is only speed dependent. No issues at idle, not dependent on a particular gear, and not limited to a particular rpm. It only starts at around 45 mph and is most noticeable between 45-55 mph. While it is still there above 55, it is not as noticeable.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top