Need tires.

"I guess you are saying police that don’t know the laws in their jurisdiction can cite citizens for whatever they want, law or no law, and “let the courts sort it out”.


Cops do that ALLLL the time. Everywhere. And no, I am not a cop.

And yes, I have had to go to court for tickets written for lawful issues.
 
What is the missing piece of information exactly?

I hope we all know that traffic laws vary from state to state. Jeez, I would think motorcycle helmets laws prove that!

As I related, the newspaper column I had in the glove box quoted a State Patrol CAPTAIN saying unequivocally that the left turn I made was LEGAL. What part of that is confusing?

I didn’t say it was prima facie evidence for my court hearing, but, if called as a witness, I’m certain he would repeat exactly what he told the newspaper and their 100,000 subscribers. I’m sorta guessing here, but I bet he knows the relevant RCW. (Revised Code of Washington) I do, and did, and learned it in 1968 on my driver’s permit exam.

This isn’t about the fact that we have different traffic rules across America. We all know that, hopefully. It is about being pulled over TWICE, by the same agency, for the same supposed offense, when I hadn’t actually broken any law. It is about neither officer bothering, in this computer age, to SHOW me the RCW I was accused (the correct word) of breaking. It is about pretending that all police are out there doing the right thing, and only the right thing all the time. The younger officer was courteous, polite, and friendly. The older gentleman was none of those things. He quickly escalated (the exact opposite of what police are supposed to do) his conversation because I politely, and confidently, challenged his accusation that I had broken the law. Since he was just a bit uncertain about “the left turn thing” he decided to look for anything else to charge me with. My bicycle rack is made by Yakima. They have sold millions of them for 40 years. Do you really think that they would/could do that if they were illegal because they obscure the license plate? The answer is “No”. Fact, not opinion.

When Powedubs writes that he would have written me both tickets, and let the courts sort it out, it says more about him than it does about the officers that didn’t cite me. That isn’t “abuse“, Mickey, just a recognition that he and I fundamentally disagree about something that is tearing at the fabric of our culture and civilization. A badge and a gun doesn’t give the police the right to issue specious tickets for legal conduct. Politely questioning their “interpretation“ of an extremely black and white law that needs no interpretation should not result in “Oh yeah, let’s just look around and see what else I can find.” Powedubs reacted viscerally to reading about me “challenging” the justification for a traffic stop. Writing that he “would have wrote me both tickets” hit a nerve.
As CITIZENS of the United States, we ALL have rights that we should be very protective of. That doesn’t mean I need to let them write the tickets and wait for a court appearance to cite the RCW for them.

All the trooper had to do was say “Hey, let me take a look at what you have. Might save us both some time and me some embarrassment.” A couple of responses have stated he was under no obligation to do that. I completely agree. No obligation whatsoever! Clear enough? At that point in our conversation, I assume he WAS a bit embarrassed, and chose to escalate and lash out at me because he didn’t like a citizen questioning his actions. The point is: Both officers were wrong. Wrong then, wrong now. In Washington, where I live, and they work. Where they work every day enforcing traffic laws (this is the State Patrol we are talking about). It would be nice if they KNEW the laws they are sworn to uphold.
One last time, this isn’t about red light left turns in CA, or NV, or NJ, or OH or anywhere else.
This is simply about being accused of breaking the law on two separate occasions by TRAFFIC police. And not liking it when Powerdubs says I deserved it.
 
Ahh well, tuned in to learn about tires and learned about a traffic law that's unique to Washington (The Texas rule as posted is for one-way to one-way) and a couple of misconceptions about how police do their jobs. I'll tune back in when we start talking about tires again.
 
Ok then.

I'm over due for tires on the CB and actually ordered some Pirelli Angel GTs in 110 and 160 a couple of weeks ago, but for some reason my dealer is having trouble getting them in, even though I could probably get them myself in 3 days from Revzilla lol. It's s weird. They give me a good price on tires and a discount when getting them mounted, but in return I need to let them work through their channels and suppliers.

Hopefully before the rally lol
 
I just put on my PR3 front I had as reserve. I figure that, with luck, I'll get another 6-8,000 miles on the rear (I have 6,500 on it now) and then swap them both out for the Angel GTs. I'll probably be at 8,000 on the rear by the time I get to Williamsport.
 
I have really strong feelings about the policing conversation but will save them for other venues. I hope we can keep this forum politics free. It is a quiet place to retreat to when all the other places get ugly.
I do not have strong feelings about tires, so I'll go to bed. See ya'll tomorrow. :thumbsup:
 
Yeah, I should be able to avoid this conversation for a few thousand miles now at least.
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
I have really strong feelings about the policing conversation but will save them for other venues. I hope we can keep this forum politics free. It is a quiet place to retreat to when all the other places get ugly.
I do not have strong feelings about tires, so I'll go to bed. See ya'll tomorrow. :thumbsup:
You can trust that we will.

As I've pointed out many times in the past, over the years here on the forum I have had far more moderation conflicts with myself, needing to "censor" my own comments before posting them, than I have needed to interact with others regarding such matters. Based on this I can only surmise that many others here are doing much the same — stopping to think about what is being said before actually posting.

Generally speaking this place does a fairly good job of policing itself (no pun intended - honest) when it comes to such matters. In the end, I like to think that most who choose to participate on this forum appreciate having a place online such as this, that serves as a reprieve from the steady stream of conflict that exits most everywhere else these days. It might well be that motorcycling is the only thing that I have in common with a good number of people here. But I can respect that, and that's all that's needed in my mind to establish a good conversation. Hey, it's been working okay for more than seven years now.

I recognize that this does not happen without a certain amount of effort on the part of everyone involved. For this, I say thanks to all of you for helping to keep things civil, making this place what it is.

All the best,
Guth
 
Just came home from the dealer’s with a brand new pair of Pirelli Angel GT. Happy and relieved to see they’re getting high praise here, I just accepted the offer they gave me. At 30% discount I still had to pay the equivalent of 550 USD. That included mounting. We can’t brag about that much on the world stage, but we sure can do high cost of living. I’m eager to find out if they feel much different from the OEM tires (I took it easy on the ride home, having had close calls on brand new tires before), and I really hope to get substantially more than 7,500km from the Gran Turismos.
They look great!
 
My Gran Tourismos have more than 10,000 kms and lots more to go.
 
Just checked I have over 11,000 miles on my PR3's. They are probably good for another thou or so, while I wait for the Pirelli's. Curse you Michelin for discontinuing this great tire. Curse you.

That seems pretty pricey to me Hovmod considering the 30% discount. I priced a set at Revzilla and it was $272.00 for the pair of tires. $122 for the front and $150 for the rear.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Just checked I have over 11,000 miles on my PR3's. They are probably good for another thou or so, while I wait for the Pirelli's. Curse you Michelin for discontinuing this great tire. Curse you.

That seems pretty pricey to me Hovmod considering the 30% discount. I priced a set at Revzilla and it was $272.00 for the pair of tires. $122 for the front and $150 for the rear.
Well, yeah, that’s part of the fun of being Norwegian. If I ordered those (and they shipped to Norway, which they don’t), I’d have intl shipping and taxes and VAT to pay on top of that, and I still would have to find someone to do the work. It’s possible to get through a process like that and perhaps save a little, but then I’d lose the advantage of having my local Honda dealer om my side.
Everything is expensive here, mate, it’s as real as winter. I’m not going to complsin too much about it, we’re doing ok, but seeing what you guys pay for your bikes can really sting some times. :angel:
 
ahh forgot to see where you were located. Yea that bites. But then you probably get some really cool motorcycles that we don't.
 
Only have about 5500 miles left on my last set of PR3s and my trip next month will eat that up (maybe plus some) so I looked for tires today and wow ... so much stuff is out of stock. I saw the Mr The ferret bought Angel GTs, but I had those back in 2018 and they wore out pretty quick ... so I Decided to go with Battlax T31's for a second time .. they rode ok and lasted as long as my PR3s. Specs:
Bridgestone Battlax T31 Sport Touring Tires Front, 110/80ZR-18 58W
Bridgestone Battlax T31 Sport Touring Tires Rear, 160/60ZR-18 70W
Love all of our tire conversations :)
 
Never been a big BS fan, but may be forced into liking them due to lack of other options. I read Pirelli is discontinuing the Angel GTs

How many miles did you get out of the Pirelli's just out of curiosity. I hope more than 8k at least
 
flint, doesn't Bridgestone make the T31 in the OEM 140 rear? If so, why didn't you go with the wider one?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Never been a big BS fan, but may be forced into liking them due to lack of other options. I read Pirelli is discontinuing the Angel GTs

How many miles did you get out of the Pirelli's just out of curiosity. I hope more than 8k at least
Per my service records, 8500 miles, so not bad actually. PR3s were always 10K plus, but I always replaced them early because wanted fresh rubber for summer xcountry trips. The Battlax T31 were close to the end at 10k when I last replaced them.
 
whew, thanks. If you'd have said 6,000 I'd have been freaking lol
 
Cormanus_imp said:
flint, doesn't Bridgestone make the T31 in the OEM 140 rear? If so, why didn't you go with the wider one?
Availability ... none. Supplies in our sizes of any brand are very limited. I was lucky to find a pair at DennisKirk so I jumped on it. Was comfortable with the 160/60 (vs 140/70) because we all have been doing that with the PR3s in the beginning and thats what I did with prior set of T31s and Angel GTs. :)
 
Back
Top