Need tire setup OPINIONS - a few different options

Ferrealls_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Yes. Another tire thread.

Looking at dual sports and I've come upon of bit of an enigma. I have a few options, so I'm looking for opinions. I can:
1. Run tubeless rear and TUBE front of the same tire - i.e. Shinko 705s
2. Run tubeless rear and tubeless rear backwards for front tire - i.e. Pirelli M90A/T
3. Run mismatched tubeless tires - i.e. Pirelli MT90 rear, Pirelli MT60 RS front or Shinko 705 rear, Kenda K761 front.

I worry about tubeless for reliability. I worry about rears up front for handling. I worry about mismatches for handling and wear.

Would love to hear opinions.
 
Paging CA200
 
I don't know the answer to all the questions, but I recently did a survey of tire options, including the Pirelli dual sport options. I don't think Pirelli makes an 18" MT60 RS front as listed in your option #3. Doesn't look like Kenda makes an 18 " K761 front either. Looks like you'd have to go with a rear tire on the front for both the MT60 and K761 (as in option #2).
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
I don't know the answer to all the questions, but I recently did a survey of tire options, including the Pirelli dual sport options. I don't think Pirelli makes an 18" MT60 RS front as listed in your option #3. Doesn't look like Kenda makes an 18 " K761 front either. Looks like you'd have to go with a rear tire on the front for both the MT60 and K761 (as in option #2).
Kenda K761 Front 110/80-18 http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/k...18-58h-front-tl-blackwall/part/KENDA-15715008

Pirelli MT60 RS (Not Corsa) from the international site MT 60™ RS - Motorcycle tyre | Pirelli
 
Good find on the Kenda! I didn't find a seller that carried that size. With the MT60, the trick will be finding a U.S. seller. A found that certain sizes sold in Europe or Asia are not available here.

Given that, I'd probably go for the MT90 rear and MT60 front. Years ago I tried out a set of Pirelli dual sports on my CB750 and they were great on pavement and a huge improvement over street tires on gravel and dirt. They also lasted much longer than I expected.
 
You can run both Pirelli Scorpions front and rear. I think there's a 120/80 - 18 that will need to be flipped backwards to work at front.
 
Thread starter
lemontree_imp said:
You can run both Pirelli Scorpions front and rear. I think there's a 120/80 - 18 that will need to be flipped backwards to work at front.
The only problem there is the 120/80-18 is a tube type. I didn't want to go from tubeless to tube, so I ended up going Pirelli MT90 in the back and MT60 RS in front. Getting them mounted tomorrow, will post pics.
 
Back
Top