Need help with Givi SR1118 install

pedro_k_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi friends,
I just got my first Honda in years. The CB 1100 Deluxe - and it is fantastic!
I purchased a Givi SR1118 rear rack. The supplied mounting instructions are vague to say the least. I cannot get it to line up in the front and rear holes left after removing the tail light assembly bars. Has anyone installed one?
After a few emails with customer service at Givi, they are telling me that I'm basically a dope, and that it should fit easily. If anyone can provide an explanation, or photos of a correct install I sure would appreciate it.
Thanks very much!
PK

PS - if you know of an alternative to the Givi, other than the Honda OE please tell me.
 
pedro_k_imp said:
Hi friends,
I just got my first Honda in years. The CB 1100 Deluxe - and it is fantastic!
I purchased a Givi SR1118 rear rack. The supplied mounting instructions are vague to say the least. I cannot get it to line up in the front and rear holes left after removing the tail light assembly bars. Has anyone installed one?
After a few emails with customer service at Givi, they are telling me that I'm basically a dope, and that it should fit easily. If anyone can provide an explanation, or photos of a correct install I sure would appreciate it.
Thanks very much!
PK

PS - if you know of an alternative to the Givi, other than the Honda OE please tell me.
Pedro K,

I don't believe that the Givi rack was designed for the 2014 Deluxe. The grab bars are at a different angle (shallower) and the rack is likely to interfere with your tail light as a result.

As far as I know, the Givi rack will only fit the 2013 or earlier models, plus the 2014 Standard and the 2014 Canadian model which all have the grab bars and bolt hole locations at a greater angle.

I'm not sure what you don't like about the 2014 OE Honda rack, but it looks good on the 2014 Deluxe and I have seen it for less money than the Givi.
 
Thread starter
Gumby 1100_imp said:
pedro_k_imp said:
Hi friends,
I just got my first Honda in years. The CB 1100 Deluxe - and it is fantastic!
I purchased a Givi SR1118 rear rack. The supplied mounting instructions are vague to say the least. I cannot get it to line up in the front and rear holes left after removing the tail light assembly bars. Has anyone installed one?
After a few emails with customer service at Givi, they are telling me that I'm basically a dope, and that it should fit easily. If anyone can provide an explanation, or photos of a correct install I sure would appreciate it.
Thanks very much!
PK

PS - if you know of an alternative to the Givi, other than the Honda OE please tell me.
Pedro K,

I don't believe that the Givi rack was designed for the 2014 Deluxe. The grab bars are at a different angle (shallower) and the rack is likely to interfere with your tail light as a result.

As far as I know, the Givi rack will only fit the 2013 or earlier models, plus the 2014 Standard and the 2014 Canadian model which all have the grab bars and bolt hole locations at a greater angle.

I'm not sure what you don't like about the 2014 OE Honda rack, but it looks good on the 2014 Deluxe and I have seen it for less money than the Givi.
Pedro K,

I don't believe that the Givi rack was designed for the 2014 Deluxe. The grab bars are at a different angle (shallower) and the rack is likely to interfere with your tail light as a result.

As far as I know, the Givi rack will only fit the 2013 or earlier models, plus the 2014 Standard and the 2014 Canadian model which all have the grab bars and bolt hole locations at a greater angle.

I'm not sure what you don't like about the 2014 OE Honda rack, but it looks good on the 2014 Deluxe and I have seen it for less money than the Givi.
Thanks for the quick reply! I have nothing against the Honda OE rack at all. I was just under the impression that you could only get one from Japan, or something like that. I'd definitely get the OE. Is there an online source that anyone knows of so I can get one ordered? Or, do I need to go through my dealer.
 
pedro_k_imp said:
Gumby 1100_imp said:
pedro_k_imp said:
Hi friends,
I just got my first Honda in years. The CB 1100 Deluxe - and it is fantastic!
I purchased a Givi SR1118 rear rack. The supplied mounting instructions are vague to say the least. I cannot get it to line up in the front and rear holes left after removing the tail light assembly bars. Has anyone installed one?
After a few emails with customer service at Givi, they are telling me that I'm basically a dope, and that it should fit easily. If anyone can provide an explanation, or photos of a correct install I sure would appreciate it.
Thanks very much!
PK

PS - if you know of an alternative to the Givi, other than the Honda OE please tell me.
Pedro K,

I don't believe that the Givi rack was designed for the 2014 Deluxe. The grab bars are at a different angle (shallower) and the rack is likely to interfere with your tail light as a result.

As far as I know, the Givi rack will only fit the 2013 or earlier models, plus the 2014 Standard and the 2014 Canadian model which all have the grab bars and bolt hole locations at a greater angle.

I'm not sure what you don't like about the 2014 OE Honda rack, but it looks good on the 2014 Deluxe and I have seen it for less money than the Givi.
Pedro K,

I don't believe that the Givi rack was designed for the 2014 Deluxe. The grab bars are at a different angle (shallower) and the rack is likely to interfere with your tail light as a result.

As far as I know, the Givi rack will only fit the 2013 or earlier models, plus the 2014 Standard and the 2014 Canadian model which all have the grab bars and bolt hole locations at a greater angle.

I'm not sure what you don't like about the 2014 OE Honda rack, but it looks good on the 2014 Deluxe and I have seen it for less money than the Givi.
Thanks for the quick reply! I have nothing against the Honda OE rack at all. I was just under the impression that you could only get one from Japan, or something like that. I'd definitely get the OE. Is there an online source that anyone knows of so I can get one ordered? Or, do I need to go through my dealer.
Believe it or not it's probably cheaper to get the rack from Japan, and it won't take all that long either. I order a bunch of stuff from Samurider and had it all in 4 days. Takashi gets it done and doesn't screw around.

I saved more than $50 by getting my engine guards from him and I bought the rack kit from him that has instructions for both the std and DLX models. The kit includes the rack and a top box with Honda's one key system so you can key it to your bike and not need a separate key to open it. If you don't want the box the rack is available separately.
 
Thread starter
So great to have the advice from everyone. I've been looking at the OE rack mentioned previously. And, I know I'm getting off a Mech and Tech type post, but in looking at the Samurider site, I'm not able to find a simple grab bar that would fit my '14 CB 1100 DLX. Help?
 
Takashi at Samurider.
 
Pedro K,

Mr. T is Mr. Takashi Takase of Samurider.com

He responds to questions about the products he sells very promptly.


With regard to a grab bar, I don't see why this one would not fit.
The photo shows it on a 2013, but the the mounting holes should still be the same distance apart on your 2014 DLX. It won't interfere with the tail light, so the angle of the mounting holes shouldn't matter...

http://japan.webike.net/products/9474712.html
 
Back
Top