need help quick - oil leaking

I see its on shifer side which is also counter sprocket side. SOmetimes with certain chain lubes they build up behind counter sprocket cover then drool out when they get hot. That is what I suspect here.
 
Only 2 seals behind there I can think of, countershaft seal and shift shaft seal, and it would be unusual for either of them to leak. You mentioned over filled oil, did you over fill it?
 
Thread starter
i had the shop do the oil change.
on the side stand the sight glass shows no oil.
on the center stand the oil fills the sight glass.
where does the overfilled oil come out from??
 
I'm not sure on these new epa jobs. It used to come out a hose, but all the hoses on the CB are capped I think.
Maybe someone else knows.

To be clear... it wasn't leaking when you left home, but was leaking when you got to work?

Edit: I just went out and crawled around under mine with a flashlight and mirror and see no reason for any oil to be there.

I would take some contact cleaner and see if I could get it off of there. When the motor is cool if it's real hard to remove and kind of thick tar like it's probably chain lube. Once you get it clean fire it up and see if any oil leakage is visible. if you can't find it spray area with some powdered foot spray, then run the bike and see if any of the powder clumps up.
 
Wasn't it Rico that jus had this exact same problem and it turned out to be excessive chain lube under the cover? Would get hot and drool out.
 
DJS_imp said:
i had the shop do the oil change.
on the side stand the sight glass shows no oil.
on the center stand the oil fills the sight glass.
where does the overfilled oil come out from??
I posted a thread about this a while ago.

If you JUST had the bike serviced and this is a new development, it is not chain lube. The bike was overfilled.

The oil will find its way out of any seal that isn't a weld, the most porous locations first.

It will also pump up into the airbox. There is a drain from the airbox that dumps on to the top of the crankcase, and this is plugged with a plastic cap. However, the oil will fill this clear drain tube and start to leak anyway. That is what you should check, along with the drain tube under the engine/frame area on the left side.

Also there should always be some air space between the top of the oil level in the sight gage. If it is completely filled with oil, with no meniscus or air visible, that is too full (whilst on the centerstand).

You have to check the oil exactly per the procedure. You cannot let the bike sit overnight and check it cold. Oil from the oil cooler will drain back into the engine and give a high reading.

I believe the manual states you should warm the engine for several minutes, then shut it off and allow a certain time for it to settle, and then check it. I don't recall the specifics.

At any rate there is a very good chance you will need to drain some oil from the engine and clean the area, and then recheck the level using the proper procedure.
 
Thread starter
so whether it is from overfill or chain lube , am a good to go on my trip tomorrow??
riding from LI to dayton ohio and back.
 
Ii think it would take a lot of overfill for that to happen. The shop must have really messed up.

Every new CB1100 I have seen comes over filled from the factory with no air bubble in the site window. That has been reported here many, many times and was the case with both of my CB1100's, (so was my ST1300) and none of them pumped any oil out to the atmosphere (leaked). It's also why I only put 3 qts 28 oz in with an oil/filter change (then run it and check it and add if necessary) instead of the 4.1 the manual calls for. Mine has never taken the full gallon to register at the upper line. Others have I have been told.

will be interesting to see what the problem is here.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ii think it would take a lot of overfill for that to happen. The shop must have really messed up.

Every new CB1100 I have seen comes over filled from the factory with no air bubble in the site window. That has been reported here many, many times and was the case with both of my CB1100's, (so was my ST1300) and none of them pumped any oil out to the atmosphere (leaked). It's also why I only put 3 qts 28 oz in with an oil/filter change (then run it and check it and add if necessary) instead of the 4.1 the manual calls for. Mine has never taken the full gallon to register at the upper line. Others have I have been told.

will be interesting to see what the problem is here.
Good advice from ferret.
I like to see a bit of air space in the sight glass above the upper line then I know it's not overfilled.
 
Thread starter
back. when i got there it had some fresh leaked oil.
most likely just over fill, with a little chain lube mixed in.
he saw no leak so they drained some oil and cleaned the drain tubes.
back to work and no leak, oil to top mark on sight glass.

thanks everyone.
normally i wouldn't worry so much, but due to leaving tomorrow needed to make sure all was 100%.
 
Good news DJS :thumbsup: Glad they could look at it so quickly.
 
Glad to hear that the problem was easily resolved.
The Triumph dealer did the same thing when I took my Bonnie in for the first service. I syphoned out some oil myself until it was at the proper level.
When I did the first service on my 1100, I overfilled it and had to remove some oil by backing off the drain plug almost to the last thread and letting it drip for a while.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Glad they resolved it, but this is inexcusable. They are paid to know better. Anyway, it's done. Have fun on your trip!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What Tonto's silverbullet toting companion said!... Should put serious doubt on the service quality/expertise of dealer's mechanic(s)!... Would encourage you to at least learn the simple procedure for oil/filter change on your easily accessed fairing-free cb1100...that way you will know this periodic procedure for your bike is done right!... why pay the dealer...$$ for causing your anxiety on this incident!?... enjoy your trip!
 
Thread starter
i usually do the oil changes myself, but had them do it when they did the 8000 mile service with valve check.

looking forward to the trip , thanx
 
Back
Top