Near Miss

Stichill

Road warrior
Thread starter
Had probably my closest call ever on a bike today and it was my fault.

They always say you're likeliest to have an accident close to home or work in a location you're very familiar with. A neighborhood lady I'd grown up with was killed by a train at a grade crossing she'd driven over thousands of times before.

Well, for me it was a busy intersection where I turn left every morning heading in to work and most of the time coming back to the office from lunch. I've probably turned left there at least 8,625 times in the last 23 years.

About 10 years ago in Kentucky, the state highway department started installing so-called "flashing yellow" left turn signals. I think in general they're a good idea and I think in general they shorten delays, save fuel, and are potentially safer.

But today I almost turned left into the path of an oncoming car, while the light was signaling a flashing yellow left turn arrow.

Initially I thought my brain mistook the flashing yellow arrow for a solid green arrow (which may also be part of the causality). But now I think it was because at that intersection, when the yellow left arrow starts flashing, two things occur almost 100% of the time:

[li]When the light turns from red to flashing yellow, the oncoming traffic that was stopped starts moving. It doesn't take long for all of it to clear the intersection, potentially opening the path for a left turn.[/li] [li]But, the road I am turning left onto is a busy road. At least half of the oncoming traffic will turn right onto that road, rather than proceed straight through the intersection. Since they have a green, they have right-of-way to turn right and I have to wait for them to all make the turn. Since there's only a single turn lane, it always takes longer for the right-turning traffic to clear than it takes for the straight-through traffic to clear. Once the last right-turner makes their turn, I'm free to make my left.
[/li]
But today...there was one very late, lone oncoming car in their left lane, closest to me as I was beginning to make my left...and I didn't see it until the last two seconds. They saw me at the same time I saw them. They braked and I swerved right and stopped. I never did actually violate their right-of-way, but I came close. They ended up slowing to where they almost stopped, but I was well out of the way and stopped by then. The young woman driving understandably threw up her hands at me, then gave a honk. I made a mea culpa gesture and sheepishly completed the turn after she proceeded on through. And after I assured myself the way was clear.

Moral of the story is: be wary of habits! They can be very deadly when the situation changes unexpectedly.

More info...this is what actually happens during the red cycle at this particular light (my annotations in red):



Here's a diagram of the intersection with my best attempt at reconstructing the events. The numbers correspond to vehicle positions at progressive increments of time.



Ride safe everyone. Stay alert and keep your guard up.
 
Stichill, glad you are in one piece and safe.
No accidents, everyone stay safe
Very nice sketch.
:thumbsup:
 
Glad you’re OK, Stichill. Thanks for the interesting analysis.
 
Stichill: Glad to read your shared humbling experience tonight. That means you are still with us and the new Caberg lives to see another ride.

That yellow arrow / flashing yellow arrow sounds confusing. Yikes.

Nice graphical postmortem analysis.

Stay safe!
 
Thank goodness it turned out well.
 
Very glad you quickly solved the issue and thanks for the tip, the expectation follows a pattern it seems.

Here is something i started adopting ; when checking if the road is clear i now look for a totally clear road surface, not the absence of traffic, there is a difference and i found it works more positive in my mind.

Thanks for posting stich:thumbsup:
 
I am glad that you are ok and honest enough to take the blame , one of my bike buddies run in the back of a car and blamed the car behind him for being too close . Sometime WE are at fault.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, everyone. I’ve always tried to approach road strategy seriously. I thought this was a very interesting lesson in the dangers of performing a routine vs. having full situational awareness. It definitely woke me up!

max, that’s an awesome tip! Look for the presence of clear road, not the absence of traffic. I’m going to try that! Thanks!
 
Very happy to hear that it turned out alright. I'd like to think that having the experience will make you even more safety-conscious in the future.
 
Thread starter
Houtman, I’ve heard it said that rationalization is the second strongest human drive, and also we are likelier to believe something is true when we want it to be true. I’d like to completely blame the flashing yellow light. But I screwed up. At worst the flashing yellow light is just another distraction. Speaking of the flashing yellow, I paid more attention to it today on the way to work (in a cage). Inexplicably the signal goes from solid green arrow to flashing yellow arrow solid yellow arrow to solid red arrow to flashing yellow arrow to red arrow to green arrow.

Can’t argue with “near-hit” MrP!

It has certainly raised my alertness level, A-Man!
 
Trauma-based events can be feared or preferably, constructively evaluated and integrated. We hope we always choose the latter - but for some it can be hard.
 
Stichill, Thanks for sharing this experience with us, a good reminder to be alert to potential dangerous situations that surrounds us while riding. I am especially glad that you were not giving an impact performance report on your new fancy Italian helmet! Stay safe!
 
Intersections are the worst, regardless of the color of the traffic signal, your vehicle, or who has the right of way. I'm glad the driver was attentive and watching out for you. We've probably all done something similar in the past, and it usually makes for a good learning experience that isn't repeated. I'm certainly glad you're okay.

I used to ride in a hurried and impatient manner, whether that meant routinely speeding, following too closely, passing over the double yellow, etc. I had lots of close calls, mostly my fault, and mostly attributable to my assertive riding behavior. But something changed about five years ago and now I'm finding myself to be more patient, yielding, and defensive behind the wheel. It's probably just age.
 
Great report both in detail and in outcome.

I won't go into the detail you did about my own recent mishap, but it involved a a merge situation where I was following a vehicle in a merge lane, both of us merging to our left. I got myself caught between him and a Jeep that was in the through lane. Completely my fault. I smacked my helmet with my throttle hand, called myself a F*#k-up, and stowed the whole incident in my memory for future reference.

Glad you didn't require Stiches. ;)
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Intersections are the worst, regardless of the color of the traffic signal, your vehicle, or who has the right of way. I'm glad the driver was attentive and watching out for you. We've probably all done something similar in the past, and it usually makes for a good learning experience that isn't repeated. I'm certainly glad you're okay.

I used to ride in a hurried and impatient manner, whether that meant routinely speeding, following too closely, passing over the double yellow, etc. I had lots of close calls, mostly my fault, and mostly attributable to my assertive riding behavior. But something changed about five years ago and now I'm finding myself to be more patient, yielding, and defensive behind the wheel. It's probably just age.
Thanks, LR. It was humbling to say the least. I usually like to think I'm more on the ball than I demonstrated in this case.

LongRanger_imp said:
Intersections are the worst, regardless of the color of the traffic signal, your vehicle, or who has the right of way. I'm glad the driver was attentive and watching out for you. We've probably all done something similar in the past, and it usually makes for a good learning experience that isn't repeated. I'm certainly glad you're okay.

I used to ride in a hurried and impatient manner, whether that meant routinely speeding, following too closely, passing over the double yellow, etc. I had lots of close calls, mostly my fault, and mostly attributable to my assertive riding behavior. But something changed about five years ago and now I'm finding myself to be more patient, yielding, and defensive behind the wheel. It's probably just age.
I think it is. We're more aware of the value of our own lives, and more conscious of protecting what we have left of it.
EmptySea_imp said:
Great report both in detail and in outcome.

I won't go into the detail you did about my own recent mishap, but it involved a a merge situation where I was following a vehicle in a merge lane, both of us merging to our left. I got myself caught between him and a Jeep that was in the through lane. Completely my fault. I smacked my helmet with my throttle hand, called myself a F*#k-up, and stowed the whole incident in my memory for future reference.

Glad you didn't require Stiches. ;)
Thanks, Sea!

EmptySea_imp said:
Great report both in detail and in outcome.

I won't go into the detail you did about my own recent mishap, but it involved a a merge situation where I was following a vehicle in a merge lane, both of us merging to our left. I got myself caught between him and a Jeep that was in the through lane. Completely my fault. I smacked my helmet with my throttle hand, called myself a F*#k-up, and stowed the whole incident in my memory for future reference.

Glad you didn't require Stiches. ;)
I'm a DC personality. I'm overly judgmental and overly analytical. Sorry for subjecting you guys to one of my personality's worst excesses! :P

EmptySea_imp said:
Great report both in detail and in outcome.

I won't go into the detail you did about my own recent mishap, but it involved a a merge situation where I was following a vehicle in a merge lane, both of us merging to our left. I got myself caught between him and a Jeep that was in the through lane. Completely my fault. I smacked my helmet with my throttle hand, called myself a F*#k-up, and stowed the whole incident in my memory for future reference.

Glad you didn't require Stiches. ;)
b16a388d0d22749fb1aae49f33f3de83.jpg
 
Back
Top