NC Street Shield EX

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Just wanted to say a word or two about the versatility of the National Street Shield EX for those looking for a shield. First off, it is a clear curved medium coverage shield that mounts with 2 brackets on the handle bars and 2 brackets on the upper fork legs. Randy B did a nice tute on mounting one in the "How To" section.

NC street shield ex mounting




I used one along with some soft luggage on my recent week long trip to West Virginia and found it did an amazing job of keeping the wind off me from bicep to bicep, and from waist to eyes. Running 75 to 80 for hours on end with no neck or arm strain from fighting the wind is awfully nice when going on longer rides.


[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/050_zps02c79734.jpg.html]

But I like riding naked bikes, so as soon as I got home, I removed the shield, leaving behind the two brkts on the bars and fork legs.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/005_zps049ed3a8.jpg.html]


[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/003_zps003a63bd.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/004_zpsd134c917.jpg.html]

Then this morning I had to run into town to the post office. I felt like taking the CB, but the temp was in the mid 40s. No prob, grabbed the Street EX and threw it on in literally 2 minutes. Great ride to town, and stayed plenty warm. Then this afternoon, the temps had gotten into the low 70s ..perfect for riding a naked bike. 2 minutes later the bike is naked again, and I went out and hit some curvy country roads enjoying the air.

I'm really pleased with the versatility of this shield. It's not perfect (close but not quite). At 5' 7" the wind coming over the shield hits me square in the eye port of my helmet, causing some buffeting. I think cutting a few inches off the top like CIP 57 did, might make the shield closer to perfect, but for the remainder of this fall and winter I am going to live with it as is, because it does a great job as is.

[URL=https://cb1100forum.net/threads/58126/]http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1256&highlight=NC+Street+shield+EX



Really happy with this shield.
 
Thanks for posting this ferret. It's really nice to get some real world feedback on aftermarket products such as this after they've really been put to use.
 
Thread starter
Guth..i posted the title like that so anyone using the search engine can find it easily by plugging in Street Shield, or Street Shield EX. Hoping others will do the same with other products so we can all learn about them and make good choices
 
Ferret, how tall are you? I ask because I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and wondering if I'd be looking through or over this windshield.
 
Thread starter
5'7" ish ..... You will be looking over it. It would have to be 6" taller or more for you to look through it.
 
Thanks. Also, I read one of your reviews where you're experiencing some level of buffeting with FF shield closed? I figure I would too as I'm pretty close in height.
 
Thread starter
Yea Im afraid you will CIP57 had the same issue and ended up cutting 6" off of his which stopped the buffeting.

Cut Down NS EX Shield
 
Ferret, you seem a pretty shmucking smart consumer...

can you in easy terms explain the difference between the street shield ex and the deflector screen ex?
 
Thread starter
Hmmm... Is that a compliment? Lol

Sure easy.... Street Shield EX is a lot larger, and uses bottom mounts in addition to the top mounts

Think of steps in size as flyscreen ... Deflector screen/and dx ( different mounting hardware on DX but same size)..street shield..street shield ex ( larger than std street shield) ... Plexistar Full shield
 
dBuster_imp said:
Ferret, you seem a pretty shmucking smart consumer...

can you in easy terms explain the difference between the street shield ex and the deflector screen ex?
The Ex mounts are more secure and its tinted on the bottom, fits and looks great cut down. Cut 6 inches off and you have a ride where wind does not effect the handling ( may even improve) and no buffeting. Good Luck

edit: sorry mickey, did not mean to hijack your thread :)
 
dBuster_imp said:
Ferret, you seem a pretty shmucking smart consumer...

can you in easy terms explain the difference between the street shield ex and the deflector screen ex?
It's all in the size. Originally, I thought I wanted a Street Shield. After getting the size specs from the website and doing some modeling with a ruler and paper cutouts, I realized that I wanted something more along the lines of the Deflector. The website says :


Street Shield EX :
Height: 18.00 in. (45.8cm)
Width: 19.25 in. (48.9cm)

Deflector DX :
Height; Headlight Cutout to Top of Screen: 15.50 in. (39.3cm)
Width; Across Back at Widest Point: 15.00 in. (38.1cm)

Note : The Street Shield without the quick release mounting system (non-EX) is considerably smaller than the EX version :

Street Shield :
Height: 17.0 in. (43cm)
Width: 16.5 in. (41.9cm)

Edit : Almost forgot. The Street Shield uses a 4 point mount (2 handlebar, 2 fork leg), while the smaller Deflector uses just 2 handlebar mounting points.
 
Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
dBuster_imp said:
Ferret, you seem a pretty shmucking smart consumer...

can you in easy terms explain the difference between the street shield ex and the deflector screen ex?
The Ex mounts are more secure and its tinted on the bottom, fits and looks great cut down. Cut 6 inches off and you have a ride where wind does not effect the handling ( may even improve) and no buffeting. Good Luck

edit: sorry mickey, did not mean to hijack your thread :)

What do you expect from a guy that takes a picture with his finger over half the lens? :rolleyes:

Just kidding, no hijack at all..... and very good info. Thanks

Really could use better pics from front side and back sometime when you have nothing to do
 
Informative write up, this is exactly why I love these forum. thanks so much for taking the time to write up your evaluation. I now believe the Cb can be a very formidable long run cruiser and a hot rod for the weekends. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a 13, dealer wants 6500 for it with a little over 3k miles. Seems high for private, but right for the dealer[/php]
 
zippy1_imp said:
Informative write up, this is exactly why I love these forum. thanks so much for taking the time to write up your evaluation. I now believe the Cb can be a very formidable long run cruiser and a hot rod for the weekends. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a 13, dealer wants 6500 for it with a little over 3k miles. Seems high for private, but right for the dealer[/php]
G'day and welcome zippy1. We'll all look forward to your joining us more often and seeing some photos of your new bike.
 
Hey Mr Ferret ... I looked on National's web site any they don't seem to have clear color any more ( all light tint). Yours look clear with tint at the bottom. Was your a special order? Regards :)
 
Thread starter
Nope standard issue. Doesn't make sense that they wouldn't have clear anymore. I'd email or call them if I were you
 
Thought I'd chime in with my experience with the shield. I'm 5'7" and easily see over the top. I first set the shield at the same angle as the forks (if that makes sense) and it was fine up to about 50 MPH, but after that the buffeting on my helmet was annoying. I tried raising the screen and that helped a bit but the wind was still catching the top 2" or so of my helmet and rattling my noggin. So I tried angling it forward (steeper than the forks) and that did the trick. Now it's giving me pretty calm air, even at 80 MPH. Not that I would go 80 MPH :cool: I feared that some stability would be lost with the steeper angle, but I can't feel any difference in handling at all. So, I am a happy camper.
 
Thread starter
Very interesting, thanks for the info
 
Back
Top