National Cycle Deflector Windshield

MFGUSA_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Do any of you CB11 owners have one of these attached to your bike? MSS offers a 15 inch clear and smoke for the CB and I'm curious how it would look on the CB.
I suppose I should read a little harder next time. "wind screen you recommend for this" a little further down the posts has plenty of nice pictures of this wind screen.
 
I just installed one last Friday and have about a 100 miles on in (the one warm day we've had in a long time)…. I'm not doing anything before my Tue beer and wing meeting…I'll take some pics
Here are a few -- ignore the red beast in the background….





[url=http://s776.photobucket.com/user/jchoby/media/IMG_1434_zpse032c6e8.jpg.html]

[url=http://s776.photobucket.com/user/jchoby/media/IMG_1435_zps4c85c369.jpg.html]

[url=http://s776.photobucket.com/user/jchoby/media/IMG_1436_zpsd08153c7.jpg.html]
 
Thread starter
Looks very nice. Its hard to tell from the shadows maybe, but is that smoke or clear. And what is that "Beast" anyways. It has the camber of the back of a VW Bug, the bulges of an old triumph and the width of a golf cart!

I see you still have snow way down in Ohio, still 3 'friggin feet up here.

Jeff
 
It is the light tint...I'll try to get a better snap on Sunday as it should be warm enough to ride. The project car is a 67 triumph TR4
 
Thread starter
My '82 Ascot had a National windscreen on it and I liked it very much. Looked "right" on that bike. I will be taking delivery soon on a black '14 CB11 and suspect that the dark deflector would be appropriate.

I almost bought a new Spitfire when I was stationed in San Diego way back in the mid 70's. I backed out at the last minute due to possible duty station change. Bought a used Sportster instead.

I have a '55 Chevy in my garage in about the same shape...and color. Next to that I'm restoring my wife's old college car, an '87 Daytona Shelby.
 
I'm also interested in the NC deflector wind screen and have never used one.
From what I can see it has only two attachment points on long rods.
Does it vibrate, jiggle, shake, move at all at speed?
Being sort of "suspended" like that at only two points, it would appear that it would shake and flex some from the force of the wind.
Any comments are appreciated.
 
I had the deflector in clear, it did OK, I pressed mine against the gauges to get a 3rd point of contact and cut down on vibration, I think without doing that, the shield would vibrate and become annoying.
I ended up changing to a Comet fairing for the looks but less protection.
 
Another data point, I bought Hiker Too's windscreen and played with different angles of attack. Mostly as I noodled out how best to mount the mounts!

What seemed reasonable at first, a mild set back, produced a bunch of unwanted turbulence. More tweeking until it was almost against the gauges with quite a bit rear ward rake. This is working pretty good now.

Not touching the gauges, shield does not vibrate (that I can tell, when you are hanging on for dear life it's hard to judge these things :angel: ). At typical freeways speeds, no shakes, vibrations or jiggles. I've tried to leave some gap at the headlight to allow some air in behind the shield. This keeps the low pressure zone from building and causing turbulence which causes excessive noise and head buffeting.

It looks good, gives decent protection, on some winter days I wish for more; especially for the hands and at times looks factory.

If I could cheaply build a Don Vesco Rabid Transit type fairing that weight twenty pounds tops I'd do that instead.
 
Rocky_imp said:
I'm also interested in the NC deflector wind screen and have never used one.
From what I can see it has only two attachment points on long rods.
Does it vibrate, jiggle, shake, move at all at speed?
Being sort of "suspended" like that at only two points, it would appear that it would shake and flex some from the force of the wind.
Any comments are appreciated.
I bought two of these last year. One for the CB11 and another for my CB750. If you follow the mounting instructions, one of the last bits is to "preload" the shield against the top of the headlight. This involves slightly loosening the rake adjustment (forward screws) and pushing the shield down against the headlight while retightening the rake. This results in a solid support triangle between the two handlebar arms and the headlight. I've had mine up to the bike's 112 mph top speed and it didn't budge.

I don't know if I'd recommend resting the shield against the gauges. I did that by accident at first and the bike's vibration caused it to leave a mark on both the inside of the shield and on the gauges. The gauge package is on a flexible mount and will move quite a bit.
 
I had one on my 13... It worked fine with no noticeable vibration. It was mounted out and away from the gauges by just a little bit. I was concerned that vibration would occur (more like rattling) if it was up against them. I haven't tried to mount it on the 14 yet...I'm not sure it'll fit.
 
Has anyone had any luck getting the deflector dx to fit a '14? Been fussing with mine for the better part of the afternoon and don't see how you can make it work given the extra bulk of the gauges. Can't get much rake with headlight contact, and avoiding gauge contact means leaving a 4" gap over the headlight.

Edit - After endless putzing, I decided to put a bullet in the damn thing. Regardless of the angle or 50000 adjustment points, the buffeting and misery remained basically the same. Fingers crossed that MC Superstore takes it back.

I will never complain about pressure on my chest again...
 
Todd_K_imp said:
Has anyone had any luck getting the deflector dx to fit a '14? Been fussing with mine for the better part of the afternoon and don't see how you can make it work given the extra bulk of the gauges. Can't get much rake with headlight contact, and avoiding gauge contact means leaving a 4" gap over the headlight.

Edit - After endless putzing, I decided to put a bullet in the damn thing. Regardless of the angle or 50000 adjustment points, the buffeting and misery remained basically the same. Fingers crossed that MC Superstore takes it back.

I will never complain about pressure on my chest again...
I have mine set way high, with the bottom of the screen just slightly below and behind the gauges. It looks a little dorky because what was obviously mean to the be the cut out that sits on top of the headlight case is practically above the gauges, but I don't care because all meaningful pressure is deflected away from chest and head. I'm after complete protection from as little a screen as possible.
 
I have a 2014 CB 1100 SA, and want a nice affordable screen like this. Looking at pictures, I don't see how it would not fit. Given that they are difficult to return I'd like to know more about the "issues" installing them on the 2014 SA. Anyone have any experience there?
 
Ccarey..please post up an intro in new members

I don't recall anyone reporting mounting one on a 14 yet. I have one of their Street Shield EX's off my 13 and did hold it up to my 13 and thought " maybe", but haven't tried to physically mount it up yet.
 
Here's my '13 with the Deflector screen...

41df4c1d6e7ed7ba190ee6cc35ee64b0.jpg


And here's the exact same Deflector screen mounted on my
'14 DLX. No issues mounting it on either one.

3cf0d321d9d17dca39b9dfc1d2438e40.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Ride4now...does the shield stand more vertically on the 14 ( as it appears to me) ?
 
I did reverse the u-mounting on the bars... so that's possible. However, I also mounted the
leading edge closer to the headlight bucket which could also be doing that. Or it could be
the angle differences between the two photo's. I'm 6ft tall with a 34" inseam...buffeting occurs at the shoulder level and above. The same as on my '13. If I were to do it again, I'd probably buy the next size up. But for the type of riding I do with this bike, it's fine.
 
Have you considered cutting a few inches off to change how the air flow hits you?
 
ride4now_imp said:
Here's my '13 with the Deflector screen...

41df4c1d6e7ed7ba190ee6cc35ee64b0.jpg


And here's the exact same Deflector screen mounted on my
'14 DLX. No issues mounting it on either one.

3cf0d321d9d17dca39b9dfc1d2438e40.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Is that the Deflector DX with quick release or the standard Deflector?
Thanks for the photos.
 
Back
Top