Naked or Faring

Rhodie_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
I'm in two minds to put a fairing on my 2013 CB11. I kinda like the naked look but freeway riding you kinda need something to cut the wind. Any ideas and what are you guys doing out there??
 
Rhodie_imp said:
I'm in two minds to put a fairing on my 2013 CB11. I kinda like the naked look but freeway riding you kinda need something to cut the wind. Any ideas and what are you guys doing out there??
I've been having the same thoughts! I like the look of the Road Comet fairing available on samurider.com but it's a bit pricey. I think I'll start putting my quarters in the piggy bank and eventually spring for one. But I go back and forth on whether it will take away from the look I already like so much. The problem is, looks are so subjective. We just have to decide on our own after checking out enough photos from different angles.

As far as helping with freeway wind blasts, from what I've read from the guys who are running the Road Comet, it provides a noticeable improvement. Of course, I can't help but wonder how much is truly improvement and how much is "I just spent $500 so I'm going to convince myself that there's a noticeable improvement!" Not that anyone's being dishonest. Just that it's normal for us to justify our expenditures and convince ourselves that we made the right decisions.
 
Look at a screen on a super bike like the CBR1000rr. The screen is a bit smaller and they hit speeds around 180mph. So yes I like my road comet 2. But the one on eBay is less than $200 shipped and the screen it's self looks the same! The touring screen for the comet 2 is over $200 just for the screen.
 
Ridem32_imp said:
Look at a screen on a super bike like the CBR1000rr. The screen is a bit smaller and they hit speeds around 180mph. So yes I like my road comet 2. But the one on eBay is less than $200 shipped and the screen it's self looks the same! The touring screen for the comet 2 is over $200 just for the screen.
I'll take your word for it that the size is larger than the CBR1000rr screen since I have yet to see the Road Comet in person. But I have seen quite a few sport bike screens and, especially the double bubbles which are fantastic, are a pretty decent size. I'm finding it really hard NOT to order that $200 fairing.
 
For $200 bucks it looks great on his black bike. For $200 I'm thinking of getting one for my white deluxe which I was going to leave naked.
 
No screen for me. Tried one. Too noisy. 14,000 mostly at highway speed and I haven't missed it a bit. I Just adjust my gear to the weather and head out.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
No screen for me. Tried one. Too noisy. 14,000 mostly at highway speed and I haven't missed it a bit. I Just adjust my gear to the weather and head out.
Interesting. Good to know. Hadn't even considered the increase in noise. Must be something about where the wind is being directed. The screen on my other bike seems to quiet things down. Great...back to contemplation.
 
I have had a Street Shield EX and now a Road Comet with the touring screen and ridden without any windshield. Get one. After 45 minutes at freeway commute speeds (75-80) my arms were quite tired from feeling like I was holding on for dear life. With the Street Shield It was much more relaxed, but I did notice buffeting on my helmet above 65 MPH and it did get noisier. With the Road Comet and the touring screen I have a bit more push on my helmet, but the buffeting is gone. I also notice that I will need to better cover my neck as it gets cooler out.

My $.02.
 
Purely personal choice on the screen. I have a Puig and it does increase the noise level. I like that it can be removed quickly when I want to ride sans screen.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
No screen for me. Tried one. Too noisy. 14,000 mostly at highway speed and I haven't missed it a bit. I Just adjust my gear to the weather and head out.
ES, in spirit I'm with you. But I like my Dart.

Cheers
Next time I ride with Cormanus I might ask him for a swapsy to see the difference between naked and Dart. Probably not a lot.

Cheers again.
 
I might feel differently if I rode in cold weather, but for me the clean air from the Dart beats the buffeting and handling issues I had with larger screens. A bikini fairing should take the pressure off your torso and put the airflow just above your helmet. 300+ miles at 80+ mph: no problem.

What is the Fleabay fairing mentioned? I saw the Emgo and a "cafe" kit that look sorta like the Comet.
 
+1 on the Dart Flyscreen. It takes just enough pressure off and doesn't clutter up the front of the bike like bigger screens. I love how the Road Comet looks, but it's pricey.
 
Have the Road Comet. I'm barely 6' tall. With no screen I felt like I was being severely pushed back, felt all the pressure right on my stomach. Felt like I would be pushed right off the back of the seat. Struggled to stay put.
With the Road Comet, the wind is now at my collarbone area, but seems spread out, it's not pushing me backward, so it's not uncomfortable. Haven't noticed any noise. No pressure on my helmet or face shield. Tried crouching down- tucked- does not give me any more relief.

Much much more comfortable than no shield, but it's not a windshield. I think if I were to take a 250 mile or more trip, I'd look to put a real windshield on.
 
Can anyone report on how much (if any) wind protection is afforded by the WM aluminum bikini cowl on samurider?

http://www.samurider.com/?p=13212

I like the look and I'm mainly looking to get some of the pressure off my torso. I'm 5'9" and I have the OEM type 2 bars so I'm leaned forward just a smidge. Thanks in advance!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I'm pretty sure that's the same WM aluminum bikini fairing, it's just been painted black...




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
holy666diver_imp said:
I need a cold shower after seeing that bike! Holy crap thats amazing.



[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/_RSK8774aa.jpg.html]

Then you're going to need an ice bath after you check out this thread: [URL=https://cb1100forum.net/threads/59481/]http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2614

grover_imp said:
I'm pretty sure that's the same WM aluminum bikini fairing, it's just been painted black...




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Grover. It just might be. Going to give it a real close eyeball then decide whether to pull the trigger and get one.

Edit: I'm convinced you're absolutely right. That's exactly what I'm going with! Thanks brother.
 
Enzo, an Australian member of the forum, has the aluminum cowl on his blue CB. Haven't seen him about n the forum for a bit.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Enzo, an Australian member of the forum, has the aluminum cowl on his blue CB. Haven't seen him about n the forum for a bit.
Enzo...sounds more Italian than Australian. Haha. I'll see if I can find a photo or two of the bare aluminum on a dark bike but I will likely paint it black. Thanks Cormanus.
 
Back
Top