My Son Wants to Start Riding

I'm glad Charley's all right Chip. The same thing nearly happened to me on the freeway on Christmas Eve. A chap in a cage in the center lane realized he was about to miss his exit and turned left in front of me, crossed my lane and made the exit. I had plenty of room to brake and did; and he had the grace to wave and acknowledge what had happened; but if I hadn't seen him it could easily have been ugly.

None of my three sons ride. I'm sorry they're missing the experience; but, paradoxically, I'm quite relieved I don't have to worry. That said, two of three are very sensible and I'd be happy to live with my worry and support them.

After all that: MG, if it's good enough for you to ride, it has to be OK for your son. Overcome your perfectly reasonable concern and support him.
 
Verdecken_imp said:
From the perspective of a current 25 year old, I can say that the Internet makes it easy to stay grounded and cautious as a rider. My parents aren't huge fans of me riding (well my dad is a-ok, my mom worries a lot) but I am not one of the "invincible" minded kids anyway. I am active on Reddit, and the motorcycle forum there is a great place where people share videos and stories. It's been a great tool for me to see what is good and bad riding as well as being reminded that it's 'cool' to go ATGATT and be constantly on the lookout for SMIDSYs. I took an MSF course and it was great. I highly recommend. Does your son have friends that ride? If so, as long as they're good riders and not hooligans, he should be fine. I certainly wish I could ride with my dad!! :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indeed, unfortunately thats a major influence on youngsters.
 
Thread starter
Ron in MO_imp said:
Yes. Your son riding will always worry you, but riding with him and letting him gain confidence with you by his side will be one of the most rewarding things in your life!

I have twin sons, that are now 31 and I introduced them to motorcycles when they were 14 on Honda dirt bikes. They went to the street on Yamaha 250 SuperMotos. Now one rides a Ducati Streetfighter 848 and the other has a Yamaha FZ6. Both ride fast but are also cautious.

One thing your son is doing right is starting on a bike that he can't get in too much trouble on. It will let him have fun and build his skills. Like I tell my sons, it's not your last bike. Just your next one.

Enjoy the ride!
Thanks Ron. I appreciate you taking the time to write this.
Blockhead_imp said:
As usual, great advice in this thread. It makes me look at this subject with more of an open mind.

Compared to most of you, I'm a new rider. I didn't buy my first bike until four years ago at age 50. Why did I wait, some may ask? I waited until both of my parents passed away in 2010. The reason is that I knew they would worry sick about me if I rode a motorcycle. Thinking back, I wish I had started much sooner in life.

MG, soon I will be in your shoes as I have a 16 year old son who just got his driver's permit a couple weeks ago. Him on four wheels is scary enough, and he keeps talking about getting his MC license and getting a street bike when he turns 18. I selfishly keep telling him he has to wait until his mother and me die like I did lol...

After hearing different perspectives maybe I'm wrong. My son has been riding quads and dirt bikes since he was 11 and from what I've seen he's a very good rider; he handles his YZ250 with great skill. Being a sensible kid, doesn't get in trouble and works hard in school, what more could I ask for? As long as he takes the MSF courses and agrees to ATGATT --at least until I'm too old and senile to know the difference -- I will support his decision.
The fact that you waited until your parents passed is admirable. I started riding late in life too. I was in my late 30s. I'm fortunate to still have both my parents and when I showed up at their house on my new motorcycle for the first time, my dad was surprised, told me to be careful but didn't seem overly concerned. My mom, surprisingly, was excited and told me how her father and his brothers all rode motorcycles. She had fond memories of her father giving her rides to piano lessons on the back of his Harley three times a week for years. I do not know my grandfather or uncles and hadn't heard the story of them being motorcyclists. It was a pleasant surprise to see the joy in my mother's eyes when she saw me with my motorcycle. Not at all what I expected.
Riko_imp said:
My mate, bought a bike behind the back of his parents.
Today I met a bike mechanic, totally passionate about motorcycles, uses a bike to go to work every single day.
His dad was against him riding, though he rides himself..

My own mother could not sleep the first night after I bought my Burgman.

My dad who had ridden a bike after 30 years fell...but all is good (dad & bike).


Whats the point of this all you ask?
1. If someone is bitten by the motorcycle bug, you cannot do anything about it, you cannot stop him/her, they WILL ride, if you like it or not.
2. Accidents can happen to all of us, old and young, new and experienced riders.

Deal with it in a positive way.
Help him, guide him.
He already plans to take a rider course.
He wants to start with a small bike.
So, all that is good.

I can't see anything else than go with the flow, and he and you seem to have a good vibe going on in this matter :thumbsup:
Thank you Riko. I agree with you. I personally believe that while we shouldn't be foolish or reckless, we cannot go through life afraid. I shouldn't be surprised when my son who has watched me live my life decides to live his in a similar fashion.
the_undecider_imp said:
Whether or not this is financially or logistically feasible, I don't know, but how about you and your son buying some used dual sport bikes like a KLR650, DR650, DRZ400 and heading out of the city into the canyons where there is less traffic and onto some dirt roads? If I lived I'm Socal and could afford to own a motorcycle, there would be no way I wouldn't have a dual sport. Seems to be a bit lower risk and a way for your son to gather some great skills and practice without a lot of traffic.
I think used dual sports is a great idea more for the pure fun of it! I've read the other posts debating the best training grounds and find myself somewhere in the middle.

It seems that people who have ridden in the dirt as children and adults, develop very useful skills that then translate to the street. What i don't see happening, however, is someone putting off learning to ride on the street by riding only off-road for some time.

Not being an off-road rider, I can't speak with any authority on the matter but I've read that skills such as comfort in low traction situations/slides is one of the main benefits from riding in the dirt that can possibly help on the street. There is, of course, the skills developed from simply operating the bike, although, I think I remember differences there in terms of braking (rear vs. front) and weight distribution.

I view the most critical skills of street riding being mental rather than physical. I think it was MTC who most closely described my view on street riding. With all that said, I love the thought of hitting the desert with my boys on two wheels.
ChipBeck_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I have mixed feelings about my son riding a motorcycle. Southern California is not the safest place for those of us on two wheels. Plus, he's 22 years old. I think back to the craziness and invincibility I believed I possessed at that age and it makes me shudder. The thought of him going down and getting hurt really messes with my head.

Another part of me is excited at the prospect of riding together. It would be great to share this passion of mine with him. There are very few things that compare to the feeling I get while riding and none that I do as frequently. I would love for him to experience the same joy. I would love for us to experience it together.

He's always been an athletic, coordinated kid, so I have no worry about him mastering the skills of riding. It's all the uncontrollable dangers that scare me. I'm brought back to the day I let him ride his bike to the park alone for the first time. The anxiety was nearly overwhelming until I heard the back gate open and he came inside, all smiles. He must have been 8 or 9. I'm sure I'll be just as anxious when he rides off on his motorcycle for the first time.

His plan is to take the basic rider course then buy a slightly used Kawasaki Ninja 300. It looks like a great little bike. Even after the course, I'll take him to some large parking lots and we'll practice some more, eventually making it onto surface streets in light traffic and slowly progress from there. My hope is that he'll soon be riding rings around me. And my biggest hope is that he never feels he has anything to prove and that he takes things slowly.

I'm excited and terrified...
Mentally,

Like some others here I started my son Charley very young riding in the dirt. But when he wanted to start riding on the street I was a nervous wreck. The combat mindset required to stay alive on a bike is so different from that required in a car and mistakes can be so serious. So I bought my son the Ducati he wanted for his college graduation but I bought it a year early with the stipulation he could only ride it with me until he graduated. I did my best to observe and critique. He was fine riding the bike so I was just trying to show him how to avoid accidents caused by auto drivers.

The best mindset advice is to imagine that you and your bike were completely invisible and you needed to ride to a destination in traffic. How would you ride? How would you position yourself relative to the cars around you? You would assume that every car would turn left in front of you, or pull out in front of you because they cant see you. You'd never stay directly beside another car any longer than necessary. Ride like you are invisible because to a lot of drivers, you are.

Despite all that I did, shortly after his graduation Charley was sideswiped by a woman in a car knocking him off his bike. She said, "I didn't see him". He didn't get hurt but over $5000.00 worth of damage to his bike was done. He admitted that although he was not at fault that he could have prevented the accident by being more aware. Charley's bike is repaired and he's back riding. I'm glad he wasn't hurt and I know he is more in tune with being invisible. That lesson learned, I love riding with my son. All the best.

Chip



Mentally,

Like some others here I started my son Charley very young riding in the dirt. But when he wanted to start riding on the street I was a nervous wreck. The combat mindset required to stay alive on a bike is so different from that required in a car and mistakes can be so serious. So I bought my son the Ducati he wanted for his college graduation but I bought it a year early with the stipulation he could only ride it with me until he graduated. I did my best to observe and critique. He was fine riding the bike so I was just trying to show him how to avoid accidents caused by auto drivers.

The best mindset advice is to imagine that you and your bike were completely invisible and you needed to ride to a destination in traffic. How would you ride? How would you position yourself relative to the cars around you? You would assume that every car would turn left in front of you, or pull out in front of you because they cant see you. You'd never stay directly beside another car any longer than necessary. Ride like you are invisible because to a lot of drivers, you are.

Despite all that I did, shortly after his graduation Charley was sideswiped by a woman in a car knocking him off his bike. She said, "I didn't see him". He didn't get hurt but over $5000.00 worth of damage to his bike was done. He admitted that although he was not at fault that he could have prevented the accident by being more aware. Charley's bike is repaired and he's back riding. I'm glad he wasn't hurt and I know he is more in tune with being invisible. That lesson learned, I love riding with my son. All the best.

Chip

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Lake.jpg.html]
Thanks for this Chip. Just the other day I was telling my son the exact same thing about being "invisible." I'm glad your son wasn't hurt and I'm sure that was a lesson learned/affirmed.

I told my son about how he is invisible even when it looks like they're looking right at him. We talked about assuming drivers will turn in front of him, come into his lane, stop suddenly, all those things that have happened to all of us.

We also talked about target fixation and having an escape route. Much of our discussion probably didn't sink in but I hope that the seeds are being planted and we'll have these talks again when he starts riding and experiencing the madness that comes with riding on the street.
Cormanus_imp said:
I certainly intend to support him in this. It's incidents like yours that scare me the most. I trust that he won't be foolish while riding but I also trust that people in cars will be. I take some comfort in realizing that, at a minimum, I'll be here to guide him and offer advice. When I started riding, I did it on my own and learned as I went along. Of course, I read everything I could get my hands on, watched videos, joined rider forums, took the riders course, and built my skills slowly. It's worked out for me so far. I pray that he has as successful and enjoyable experience as I have.
 
Thread starter
Verdecken_imp said:
From the perspective of a current 25 year old, I can say that the Internet makes it easy to stay grounded and cautious as a rider. My parents aren't huge fans of me riding (well my dad is a-ok, my mom worries a lot) but I am not one of the "invincible" minded kids anyway. I am active on Reddit, and the motorcycle forum there is a great place where people share videos and stories. It's been a great tool for me to see what is good and bad riding as well as being reminded that it's 'cool' to go ATGATT and be constantly on the lookout for SMIDSYs. I took an MSF course and it was great. I highly recommend. Does your son have friends that ride? If so, as long as they're good riders and not hooligans, he should be fine. I certainly wish I could ride with my dad!! :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great to have your perspective on this. I don't think my son's friends ride and I'm okay with that. Haha. Although, I am convinced that if he were to surround himself with good, responsible riders, it would reinforce all the good habits I'm hoping he develops.
 
You can, and should give your children all the information. But at the end of the day, all we can do as parents is hope they make the right choices.

Sounds to me like your son has his head on straight, MG. Good luck, to you both...
 
Thread starter
quietguy_imp said:
You can, and should give your children all the information. But at the end of the day, all we can do as parents is hope they make the right choices.

Sounds to me like your son has his head on straight, MG. Good luck, to you both...
Thanks quiet guy. That's something I hope we all continue to have as it's something we all continue to need - LUCK.
 
Its funny MG. I come from a motorcycling family. Dad got me my first street bike when I was 15 and got an after school job no one could drive me to. Made me wear a helmet with faceshield not for protection, but so that the police couldn't see that I was underage. I don't recall any safety talks other than my mom telling me to be careful. There were no safety courses, no forums, no videos, certainly no internet, (we didnt even have color TV or air conditioning), no cell phones to use for calling home if you broke down or were going to be late ( we carried dimes for the pay phone). ATG meant work boots and gloves, jeans and an army peacoat if it was cold. Everything was learned the hard way.

Where I am going with this, is there are currently lots and lots of tools available to help young riders today be successful riders and survive the mean streets. Make sure they are available to him and make sure that he takes advantage of them.
 
+2 ferret's post. Kids have great resources now, point them to the right training so they don't need to flounder around like us grey beards who have managed to survive.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Huladog_imp said:
+2 ferret's post. Kids have great resources now, point them to the right training so they don't need to flounder around like us grey beards who have managed to survive.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Statistics indeed show that it are the 'elderly' (those who did not receive a thorough riding education) that have the most accidents when looking at the age of victims in motorcycle accidents.
 
Interesting statistics, Riko. They don't tell us why, though. Is it lack of training when we were young, or a certain foolhardiness that comes with age leading some to believe they're as good as they were all those years ago?
 
I can partly explain why.
Every year, in the summertime there is a peak here of riders, for obvious reasons (summertime of course).
And with the peak of riders, the peak of accidents also peak.
In short, in the months May-June happen the most accidents with motorcyclists.
The peak is there because many riders do not ride outside summertime, its easy to conclude that an all year rider is more skilled than somebody who only rides a few months a year.
You simply cannot argue or even deny this fact.

That said, the government offers free riding lessons every summer.
Every motorcyclist can sign up for it thru a website and best of all, its free!
The lessons are being given by the police themselves.

Every year in summer we see this in the news and they show images and interview some of the trainees and the police.
In short, the images, the trainees are almost all of them "elderly" guys :)

Dunno how it is in America, but in Belgium (I suspect also in Europe), there was a time when they used to hand over licenses to whomever wanted one.
Talking about the early fifties, sixties, seventies.
I could be a decade wrong, but you have to forgive me for not being accurate since for me, thats a time long gone :)
But not so long ago, people that have a car license from a certain date (pré 19.. dunno for sure), could automatically ride a motorcycle. PERIOD :)
There was no limit to wich kind of motorcycle, there were no restrictions in power, weight, power to weight ratio, nothing, nada...if you had a car license, you could buy any motorcycle, an Electra Glide, a Goldwing, a sportsbike (okay, in those days they weren't as crazy fast as now), whatever, it didnt matter, you just could buy and ride off :)

Absolute freedom huh :)

I think don't have to explain that exactly that generation of riders today, aren't as skilled riders when compared to the youngster who pay a lot of money to follow motorcycle training in order to obtain your motorcycle license.
I am talking purely about skills, not about common sense...;)
And the rules today got even more stricter to obtain a motorcycle license since 2014.
I was even the last generation of the previous framework of rules.
Now they are all the same in Europe and ruled by European law.

In a nutshell, more and harder lessons (dunno the details of current rules).
But also, more expensive.
Critiques would say, its just a way to get more money out of our pockets...whatever it may be, the official reason for the stricter lessons and rules is because the number of motorcycle accidents in Europe was too high and they wanted to do something about it.

Back to the "older" riders.
When I see the news and hear the interviews I am surprised some of them seemed to have learned things thats seemed for granted for the rest of us riders that had to take lessons. :)
Again, they may have less skilled, but that doesnt mean the elder riders have less common sense ;)
Because if skills and techniques are everything, you wouldn find one young motorcycle victim huh, but they too exist.

I hope to find official statistics from European or Belgian institutions regarding the age of riders involved in motorcycle accidents.
If I find something reliable I will post it here.
 
Thanks, Riko. It's certainly true that it's much more difficult to get a motorcycle license now than when I got mine in the early 70s. That's a good thing.
 
Thread starter
On Thursday, my son completed the basic rider course and passed the written and riding tests. He has yet to buy his first motorcycle but there is officially another rider in the family.
 
Congrats to the young man..and to you MG
 
Congrats MG ! What sort of bike does is he looking towards ? My son got his license last summer and we went for a few rides together, a good thing to share. I'm excited and anxious that he's coming to the rally with me in May.
 
Back
Top