My Son Wants to Start Riding

metallyguitarded_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I have mixed feelings about my son riding a motorcycle. Southern California is not the safest place for those of us on two wheels. Plus, he's 22 years old. I think back to the craziness and invincibility I believed I possessed at that age and it makes me shudder. The thought of him going down and getting hurt really messes with my head.

Another part of me is excited at the prospect of riding together. It would be great to share this passion of mine with him. There are very few things that compare to the feeling I get while riding and none that I do as frequently. I would love for him to experience the same joy. I would love for us to experience it together.

He's always been an athletic, coordinated kid, so I have no worry about him mastering the skills of riding. It's all the uncontrollable dangers that scare me. I'm brought back to the day I let him ride his bike to the park alone for the first time. The anxiety was nearly overwhelming until I heard the back gate open and he came inside, all smiles. He must have been 8 or 9. I'm sure I'll be just as anxious when he rides off on his motorcycle for the first time.

His plan is to take the basic rider course then buy a slightly used Kawasaki Ninja 300. It looks like a great little bike. Even after the course, I'll take him to some large parking lots and we'll practice some more, eventually making it onto surface streets in light traffic and slowly progress from there. My hope is that he'll soon be riding rings around me. And my biggest hope is that he never feels he has anything to prove and that he takes things slowly.

I'm excited and terrified...
 
There are countless people out there who feel the same way about all of us when we ride. It's always interesting to contemplate things from someone else's perspective. Here's wishing you and your son many happy riding days together in the future should he choose to stick with it.
 
If you were not having these concerns, I would be worried about you.

I completely understand your situation. I introduced my son to riding on an electric toy bike at age 6, he quickly graduated to a PW50 and rode at least 1000 laps around the house that year before getting him his first "real" bike, a KTM 50. Three years later, he is pestering me almost daily for a KTM 65 as he says the 50 is too slow and he is bottoming out the suspension on the track.
The first few times he rode on the track with me, I remember looking over at him and it was almost surreal as what feels like only a few years ago, he was a tiny, three pound, premature baby...and now he is my riding buddy.

I started to think about 8-10 years from now when he asks if he can ride one of my street bikes and it terrified me! I began to question my own judgment about buying him his first bike.

Life is full of risks, how much you are willing to accept and doing your best to manage those dangers. What good is safely living to 90 with a heart full of regret for missing out on adventures with your son?

Do your best to minimize risk by buying him a sound bike, the best gear you can afford, and keep him professionally trained well beyond the MSF course (i.e. Keith Code, RawHyde Adventures, and refresher courses and track days every 2 years). I'd recommend as much saddle time on a dirt bike away from traffic, drunks and soccer moms on cell phones. And keep an eye on him, his frontal lobe will not be fully developed until he is in his mid 20's so yes, expect some immaturity and questionable judgment until then. :D

Our children are "on loan" to us for a very short time, enjoy every minute you can with them.





 
my son and i got our M licenses at the same time. We took the MSF course together. i suggest that you do the same--being with him at the course, I was able to see how he did and reassured me about his skills.

I made the mistake, though, of taking him out on a long ride, in heavy winds, at highway speeds after he hadn't ridden in over 9 months. This shattered his confidence and I am presently working on convincing him to take the intermediate course with me this summer to see if he wants to continue to ride. Ultimately, it will be his decision and I will be ok with whatever he decides. The point of my comments though, is that taking the course with him will help you both figure this out,.
 
Thread starter
Thanks to all of you. Your words and suggestions are very helpful and, to the extent they can be, reassuring. EG, those are great pics of your boy. I would have rather started my boys out riding while they were young than have them decide to ride when they're older. There's a great segment in that movie, Why We Ride, with families that go out to the desert and ride together. I wish I would have done something like that. Oh well, I'll do my best to impart whatever wisdom I've gained and pray for early frontal lobe development.

I don't know that I'll take the course with him (though it's not a bad idea) but I'll definitely make sure he has the right gear, a well functioning bike, and ongoing training. Thanks again guys. I really appreciate the support.
 
I've had your situation from both ends. My mother got her own motorcycle when she was 57. She said she was tired of all us boys taking off while she stayed home. Let me tell you the first time she was late getting home we were nervous wrecks and lit into her big time lol. She rode up until she died of cancer and we still have her bike.

The other shoe... I started my son riding in the dirt at 5. At 12 I bought him a 650 Yamaha twin for when he turned 16. Well at 16, he didn't want to ride on the street so I sold it. 3 Years later he decided he wanted to ride on the street so I gave him one of my bikes, an 83 GS1100E Suzuki. He had years of experience riding in the dirt, still made him take the MSF course. He said it was a great course and he learned a lot. My son B has always been a responsible kid. Good in school, never any trouble, no car wrecks, only 1 ticket I know of at 10 over. I knew he would be alright and he was. Worried his mom a little and yes I still worry a little when he is out on a bike (he's 36 now). We ride together fairly often (less now that he has 2 sons of his own) and every year take the Men's Fall Trip together to some far away destination. Love riding with my son and glad he decided he wanted to street ride. BTW he is now a much better rider than I am.

MG, if your son is a responsible kid, he will be alright. If he's a good car driver, he will be a good motorcycle driver. Someone doesn't live their life well and then lose control simply because they go from 4 wheels to 2 wheels. That's my opinion anyway. If on the other hand he has not shown good judgement in life, 2 wheels will make him vulnerable to all kinds of pain, or worse. You know your kid. Which type is he?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I've had your situation from both ends. My mother got her own motorcycle when she was 57. She said she was tired of all us boys taking off while she stayed home. Let me tell you the first time she was late getting home we were nervous wrecks and lit into her big time lol. She rode up until she died of cancer and we still have her bike.

The other shoe... I started my son riding in the dirt at 5. At 12 I bought him a 650 Yamaha twin for when he turned 16. Well at 16, he didn't want to ride on the street so I sold it. 3 Years later he decided he wanted to ride on the street so I gave him one of my bikes, an 83 GS1100E Suzuki. He had years of experience riding in the dirt, still made him take the MSF course. He said it was a great course and he learned a lot. My son B has always been a responsible kid. Good in school, never any trouble, no car wrecks, only 1 ticket I know of at 10 over. I knew he would be alright and he was. Worried his mom a little and yes I still worry a little when he is out on a bike (he's 36 now). We ride together fairly often (less now that he has 2 sons of his own) and every year take the Men's Fall Trip together to some far away destination. Love riding with my son and glad he decided he wanted to street ride. BTW he is now a much better rider than I am.

MG, if your son is a responsible kid, he will be alright. If he's a good car driver, he will be a good motorcycle driver. Someone doesn't live their life well and then lose control simply because they go from 4 wheels to 2 wheels. That's my opinion anyway. If on the other hand he has not shown good judgement in life, 2 wheels will make him vulnerable to all kinds of pain, or worse. You know your kid. Which type is he?
One thing that my brain simply cannot imagine is my mother swinging a leg over a motorcycle and taking off. The blood that runs through your family is truly impressive.

My son is a responsible young man. Not overly cautious but with a slight adventurous streak but by no means an adrenaline junkie. He has rarely caused me to shake my head slowly in disbelief. He's going to be fine. That's what I keep telling myself.
 
Yes. Your son riding will always worry you, but riding with him and letting him gain confidence with you by his side will be one of the most rewarding things in your life!

I have twin sons, that are now 31 and I introduced them to motorcycles when they were 14 on Honda dirt bikes. They went to the street on Yamaha 250 SuperMotos. Now one rides a Ducati Streetfighter 848 and the other has a Yamaha FZ6. Both ride fast but are also cautious.

One thing your son is doing right is starting on a bike that he can't get in too much trouble on. It will let him have fun and build his skills. Like I tell my sons, it's not your last bike. Just your next one.

Enjoy the ride!
 
As usual, great advice in this thread. It makes me look at this subject with more of an open mind.

Compared to most of you, I'm a new rider. I didn't buy my first bike until four years ago at age 50. Why did I wait, some may ask? I waited until both of my parents passed away in 2010. The reason is that I knew they would worry sick about me if I rode a motorcycle. Thinking back, I wish I had started much sooner in life.

MG, soon I will be in your shoes as I have a 16 year old son who just got his driver's permit a couple weeks ago. Him on four wheels is scary enough, and he keeps talking about getting his MC license and getting a street bike when he turns 18. I selfishly keep telling him he has to wait until his mother and me die like I did lol...

After hearing different perspectives maybe I'm wrong. My son has been riding quads and dirt bikes since he was 11 and from what I've seen he's a very good rider; he handles his YZ250 with great skill. Being a sensible kid, doesn't get in trouble and works hard in school, what more could I ask for? As long as he takes the MSF courses and agrees to ATGATT --at least until I'm too old and senile to know the difference -- I will support his decision.
 
At 59 with dad passing near 7 years ago, you all are making me think how much I must have made him and mom worry! I learned to weld so I could take an old bicycle frame and weld plates on it to mount a salvaged lawn mower engine and make a mini bike. I think I was 11 or 12 at the time. It only progressed into motorcycles. I was riding motorcycles long before I had a drivers license. Yes I was an outstanding student, college graduate and served in the military.

Only accident on the street was either stopped or going slow trying to do 180 turn with that darn top heavy, tall K75RT BMW I own. Now dirt bikes as a kid are a different story and after becoming an adult I lost interest in dirt bikes for just that reason. ATGATT? Never heard of it in those days. Helmet is as good as it got.

Poor mom and dad, but deploying in the military must have made them even more nervous!

My son sadly shows no interest, does not even ride his bicycle.

Merry Christmas all.


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
 
Blockhead_imp said:
As usual, great advice in this thread. It makes me look at this subject with more of an open mind.

Compared to most of you, I'm a new rider. I didn't buy my first bike until four years ago at age 50. Why did I wait, some may ask? I waited until both of my parents passed away in 2010. The reason is that I knew they would worry sick about me if I rode a motorcycle. Thinking back, I wish I had started much sooner in life.

MG, soon I will be in your shoes as I have a 16 year old son who just got his driver's permit a couple weeks ago. Him on four wheels is scary enough, and he keeps talking about getting his MC license and getting a street bike when he turns 18. I selfishly keep telling him he has to wait until his mother and me die like I did lol...

After hearing different perspectives maybe I'm wrong. My son has been riding quads and dirt bikes since he was 11 and from what I've seen he's a very good rider; he handles his YZ250 with great skill. Being a sensible kid, doesn't get in trouble and works hard in school, what more could I ask for? As long as he takes the MSF courses and agrees to ATGATT --at least until I'm too old and senile to know the difference -- I will support his decision.
Awesome, I'm glad to hear that you would give it some consideration. :thumbsup:

Just remember that the MSF courses are the absolute, bare minimum amount of knowledge required to throw a leg over a bike and ride around town. The MSF classes are a great start, with great instructors, however nothing beats professional instruction in high performance, real world, street riding skills.

Classrides – The Nation’s BEST Street Riding School!

Motorcyclist Training Courses | Total Control Training

Cornerspin Road Racing in the Dirt (VERY fun!)

I wouldn't let Gabriel take off in a F-22 Raptor after completing 20 hours of lessons in a Cessna 152 at the local airport :)
 
Yea but that F-22 has just a wee bit more horsepower and speed increase percentage wise over the Cessna 152 than even the most powerful super bike could muster compared to a starter 125cc motorcycle.


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
 
My mate, bought a bike behind the back of his parents.
Today I met a bike mechanic, totally passionate about motorcycles, uses a bike to go to work every single day.
His dad was against him riding, though he rides himself..

My own mother could not sleep the first night after I bought my Burgman.

My dad who had ridden a bike after 30 years fell...but all is good (dad & bike).


Whats the point of this all you ask?
1. If someone is bitten by the motorcycle bug, you cannot do anything about it, you cannot stop him/her, they WILL ride, if you like it or not.
2. Accidents can happen to all of us, old and young, new and experienced riders.

Deal with it in a positive way.
Help him, guide him.
He already plans to take a rider course.
He wants to start with a small bike.
So, all that is good.

I can't see anything else than go with the flow, and he and you seem to have a good vibe going on in this matter :thumbsup:
 
I think its safer than some other hobbies, like ocean fishing and hunting. Surprising how many motorcycle accidents are single vehicle so a lot of it is in care and training.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk
 
Whether or not this is financially or logistically feasible, I don't know, but how about you and your son buying some used dual sport bikes like a KLR650, DR650, DRZ400 and heading out of the city into the canyons where there is less traffic and onto some dirt roads? If I lived I'm Socal and could afford to own a motorcycle, there would be no way I wouldn't have a dual sport. Seems to be a bit lower risk and a way for your son to gather some great skills and practice without a lot of traffic.
 
Hmmm, the best way to handle traffic and most important of all, to get used to traffic is learning in a traffic environment instead of avoiding it.

At the riding school, on first day, after a few introduction minutes, the first thing they did was drop the students into traffic!
City traffic, heavy traffic roads, you name it.

The only and best way to learn!
 
Nah... First, that's not how introductory riding schools work here. Second, riding in traffic on a bike isn't really any different than driving in a car...dealing with traffic isn't about riding skill so much as learning how to anticipate, react, be defensive, etc. I will call those "Traffic Skills" To be sure, riding in real world traffic is a key component to learning traffic skills, but one is much better off learning riding skills in a controlled envinronment so that the rider can concentrate on traffic skills when out in the real world.

Ultimately, a good street rider must master both traffic and riding skills and that will involve being in traffic, but learning both at the same time, in traffic, does not strike me as "the best" way.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Nah... First, that's not how introductory riding schools work here. Second, riding in traffic on a bike isn't really any different than driving in a car...dealing with traffic isn't about riding skill so much as learning how to anticipate, react, be defensive, etc. I will call those "Traffic Skills" To be sure, riding in real world traffic is a key component to learning traffic skills, but one is much better off learning riding skills in a controlled envinronment so that the rider can concentrate on traffic skills when out in the real world.

Ultimately, a good street rider must master both traffic and riding skills and that will involve being in traffic, but learning both at the same time, in traffic, does not strike me as "the best" way.
sure, thats how we did it here :) 4 hours in total on the first day (if I remember)
First 2 hours riding skils, could be 1 hour more.
Than on the road for the rest of the time.
 
From the perspective of a current 25 year old, I can say that the Internet makes it easy to stay grounded and cautious as a rider. My parents aren't huge fans of me riding (well my dad is a-ok, my mom worries a lot) but I am not one of the "invincible" minded kids anyway. I am active on Reddit, and the motorcycle forum there is a great place where people share videos and stories. It's been a great tool for me to see what is good and bad riding as well as being reminded that it's 'cool' to go ATGATT and be constantly on the lookout for SMIDSYs. I took an MSF course and it was great. I highly recommend. Does your son have friends that ride? If so, as long as they're good riders and not hooligans, he should be fine. I certainly wish I could ride with my dad!! :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I have mixed feelings about my son riding a motorcycle. Southern California is not the safest place for those of us on two wheels. Plus, he's 22 years old. I think back to the craziness and invincibility I believed I possessed at that age and it makes me shudder. The thought of him going down and getting hurt really messes with my head.

Another part of me is excited at the prospect of riding together. It would be great to share this passion of mine with him. There are very few things that compare to the feeling I get while riding and none that I do as frequently. I would love for him to experience the same joy. I would love for us to experience it together.

He's always been an athletic, coordinated kid, so I have no worry about him mastering the skills of riding. It's all the uncontrollable dangers that scare me. I'm brought back to the day I let him ride his bike to the park alone for the first time. The anxiety was nearly overwhelming until I heard the back gate open and he came inside, all smiles. He must have been 8 or 9. I'm sure I'll be just as anxious when he rides off on his motorcycle for the first time.

His plan is to take the basic rider course then buy a slightly used Kawasaki Ninja 300. It looks like a great little bike. Even after the course, I'll take him to some large parking lots and we'll practice some more, eventually making it onto surface streets in light traffic and slowly progress from there. My hope is that he'll soon be riding rings around me. And my biggest hope is that he never feels he has anything to prove and that he takes things slowly.

I'm excited and terrified...
Mentally,

Like some others here I started my son Charley very young riding in the dirt. But when he wanted to start riding on the street I was a nervous wreck. The combat mindset required to stay alive on a bike is so different from that required in a car and mistakes can be so serious. So I bought my son the Ducati he wanted for his college graduation but I bought it a year early with the stipulation he could only ride it with me until he graduated. I did my best to observe and critique. He was fine riding the bike so I was just trying to show him how to avoid accidents caused by auto drivers.

The best mindset advice is to imagine that you and your bike were completely invisible and you needed to ride to a destination in traffic. How would you ride? How would you position yourself relative to the cars around you? You would assume that every car would turn left in front of you, or pull out in front of you because they cant see you. You'd never stay directly beside another car any longer than necessary. Ride like you are invisible because to a lot of drivers, you are.

Despite all that I did, shortly after his graduation Charley was sideswiped by a woman in a car knocking him off his bike. She said, "I didn't see him". He didn't get hurt but over $5000.00 worth of damage to his bike was done. He admitted that although he was not at fault that he could have prevented the accident by being more aware. Charley's bike is repaired and he's back riding. I'm glad he wasn't hurt and I know he is more in tune with being invisible. That lesson learned, I love riding with my son. All the best.

Chip

 
Back
Top