My repair

Randy B

Road warrior
Thread starter
Well I FINALLY heard from the insurance company today and I will have a check for $3,961.38 in my hand tomorrow so I can take it over to the shop and get the work started. My only issue is the shop is charging $2,840.80 for the parts and I can get them for $1,841.79. You read that correctly...just about $1,000 less, and they won't let me do it because I still have a loan on the bike. Absolutely ridiculous. :@

Parts list:
Quote:HOLDER, L. STEP for 2014
50750-MGC-N00 $133.95

COVER, L. CRANKCASE for 2013
11321-MGC-920 $100.93

COVER, L. CAP for 2013
11340-MAZ-000 $32.08

O-RING (58X2.5) for 2013
91303-MEJ-003 $3.09

STAY ASSY., METER for 2013
37120-MGC-701 $55.85

HANDLEBAR for 2013
53100-MGC-000 $104.38

WEIGHT, HANDLEBAR for 2013
53105-MK4-620 $9.13

LEVER, L. HANDLE for 2013
53180-MEJ-305 $29.11

CASE, L. (LOWER) for 2013
51520-MGC-651 $248.59

FENDER, FR. for 2013
61100-MGC-000 $169.42

CALIPER SUB-ASSY. for 2013
45150-MGC-922 $309.70

AXLE, FR. WHEEL for 2013
44301-MGC-000 $35.44

BOLT, FR. AXLE for 2013
90105-MBT-610 $3.61

PEDAL, GEARSHIFT for 2013
24705-MGC-000 $44.13

RUB, GEARSHIFT PEDAL for 2013
24781-KR3-770 $2.13

ARM, L. PILLION STEP for 2013
50712-MGS-D30 $43.76

TURN SIGNAL ASSY. for 2013
33650-MGC-653 $37.49

CUSHION ASSY., RR. for 2013
52400-MGC-305 $383.90

GRIP, L. HANDLE for 2013
53166-422-305 $7.55

MIRROR for 2013
88210-MCE-L01 $46.40

TURN SIGNAL ASSY. for 2013
33450-MBA-613 $39.55

BOLT, CAP (8X35) for 2013
92501-08035-0A $1.60

Total:
$1,841.79
 
Thread starter
Not like I have the choice, but if they would let me get the stuff it would put $500 in my pocket instead of taking $500 out of my pocket.
 
Is this shop the dealership where you purchased your CB1100? If so, I would would seem reasonable to expect a discount on those parts of 20% or more (that's if those prices aren't already discounted).
 
Thread starter
Yes it is and if you look at the invoice they gave me fore the repairs and then go to ANY site with a parts phish you will see they are charging OVER retail for all of the parts.
I'm stumped. I told the guy I could get the parts for $1,000 cheaper and he didn't believe me. I told him the site and then he said he asked someone and because I still owe on it they can't let me buy the parts.
 
actually, years ago, I "totaled" my 900 Ninja, they wrote me a check, minus the value of the bike, which I kept, I than bought the parts I wanted, had the dealer do just those parts, and I made a profit. Although now that I am older, I would just get the work done, keep the bike perfect, and move on.
 
That's outrageous! Someone is lining their pockets with some nice markups! At this point can you take it someplace else?
 
Thread starter
Not really. It wouldn't be woth the tow bill at this point and since its been sitting there for almost 8 weeks I'm sure they'd hit me with one hell of a storage fee.
 
Insurance & warranty are to different things, which I know you already know that. That dealer can not by any law tell you where you can buy your parts! It's your money and it don't matter if you still owe money on your bike to American honda or a bank! I would buy my parts else where and take to the Honda dealer and tell them to repair it! They will still get paid for labor! I have never heard of such in my life!
 
That sucks, Randy. Is there no consumer protection law in the US that prevents this sort of nonsense?

It's good news that the insurance company's paid up though.
 
If you don't resolve to tour satisfaction after discussion with insurance and dealer, then it is time to use the ugliest word in the English language, "lawyer".


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Tough predicament. I do believe you can have it taken to any Repair shop of your choice but in the end I have a feeling the dealer would nail you with storage fees that would be more than what you are going to save taking it to another repair shop.

Hope it works out for you Randy.
 
The agreement is between the Insurance company and the Dealer, not really you, right?
So, if they are OK, and you get your CB fixed to your satisfaction, then be happy.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
The agreement is between the Insurance company and the Dealer, not really you, right?
So, if they are OK, and you get your CB fixed to your satisfaction, then be happy.
I think Hiker's on the right track here. The (not so great) deal was made between the insurance company and the dealer. The insured has a contract with the insurer that says he'll pay a deductible and they'll pay to have the bike fixed. While the insurer may not be getting the best deal, that's really their business and not the insured's.
 
Thread starter
I just signed the check over. But I also took a loom at the bike and was able to chop a couple items off that didn't get damaged, I was also able to get a couple things that were missed on the estimate.
They put the lower fork tube, but missed the reflector. They also missed the scrape on the sidestand and added that to the order. I ended up owing $260.70 instead of $500.00.

I suppose I can live with that.
 
Bike is easy to fix. How's the body doing? Any better?
 
Thread starter
So, so. My shoulder and rib are being stubborn at this point. My ankle is healing, but taking its time.
The bike should be ready before I am at this rate.
 
Back
Top