My Honda is a ...

j3gq_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I am getting tired of saying, writing, spelling "Cee Bee eleven hundred". It's long and doesn't stick. It's even a little boring (while my bike is not !).

So bear with me if this has been proposed before, since I couldn't find it here on the forum.

Can't we just give our babies a common name, like so many Honda and other bikes had one before. Remember the Shadow, the Hurricane, the Nighthawk ? I think it's time for a nice name. I am proposing ...
No! you first, vote this post up with your stars. When I see a significant number of supporters we start thinking about a REALLY suitable name.
Your turn !
:idea:
 
When people ask me what I ride, and I say "CB1100", I will get one of two reactions:
Either a knowing "Ahh yes, those are cool" from people who know that it is a retro-styled modern bike.
Or, "Mmm, one of those"... from someone who clearly doesn't know what it is, in which case I say "It looks like it's from the 70s but it's modern".
 
I usually just say, "I ride a Honda." and let it go at that. Non-riders don't care about what model, but for those of us who do ride, I say, "I ride a Honda CB eleven-hundred." They say "Oh, yeah, those are cool!" I have to agree.
 
My vote is to just call it the big CB, or CeeBee. The US Navy Seabees get their name from C B, for Construction Battalion and originated in WW2. They were mainly tasked with building docks and landing strips, often in combat zones on remote islands, and drew great respect for their accomplishments under fire.

Their motto "Can Do" also sums it up for what the CB1100 is capable of - anything.
I've even respectfully stolen and modified their logo. Hope it doesn't offend.

 
Thread starter
I can see - and to a degree understand - that answers focus on the perception of other, bystanders, people who don't even ride or don't care about Honda. "Do <they> understand" what a CB is or not?.
This is not what I had in mind at all. I would like to use a friendly, loving nick name which other CB1100 owners like, many of them know and use in the forum. Whether the Kawa owner or TicToc kid has heard this name before or not appears quite irrelevant to me.
(no insult intended :beerchug: )
 
I often wonder who makes up these names - Shadow, Nighthawk, Ninja, Rebel - focus groups no doubt. How about Virago, Madura, Rune - equally obscure and unrelated to motorcycles.

To me, BSA and Triumph had some of the best names ever. Thunderbolt, Cyclone, Spitfire, Victor, Star, Starfire, Gold Star, Golden Flash, Bonneville, Daytona, Trophy, Trident, Hurricane, Rocket. And Triumph must be the best brand name ever!
 
j3gq_imp said:
I can see - and to a degree understand - that answers focus on the perception of other, bystanders, people who don't even ride or don't care about Honda. "Do <they> understand" what a CB is or not?.
This is not what I had in mind at all. I would like to use a friendly, loving nick name which other CB1100 owners like, many of them know and use in the forum. Whether the Kawa owner or TicToc kid has heard this name before or not appears quite irrelevant to me.
(no insult intended :beerchug: )

To me, it’s a motorbike, one I happen to love. If people see it when I’m riding it and ask what it is I will tell them it’s a CB1100. If people are chatting to me and I’m not with my bike and actually ask if I ride a motorcycle, I will tell them I ride a Honda CB1100 Four cylinder retro styled motorbike. The CB range of Honda motorcycles goes back a long way. I first ride a CB250 back in 1970 having traded in my CD175. I like the lineage. I don’t want some catchy generic name for the range personally, I call mine Ruby, because that’s what the colour reminds me of and I like calling her that, but that’s a personal thing. Sorry, but I don’t share your need for anything else.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Sorry, but I have to agree with Frankie - I personally have no need for a constructed name. The CB1100RS designation works for me, or sometimes simply 'the RS'. I've never really named my bikes but can see why others do. What nick name do you have in mind for your bike?
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I usually just say, "I ride a Honda." and let it go at that. Non-riders don't care about what model, but for those of us who do ride, I say, "I ride a Honda CB eleven-hundred." They say "Oh, yeah, those are cool!" I have to agree.

I do the same. My CB is just a Honda or a CB, the W800 a Kawa or shorter W and the Bullet is simply called Bullet. These names fit best. Of course I dive into a kind of relationship with me being subject and them as objects as long as I keep the bikes and as far as it is possible without personalizing them, which is right now for quite a long time. I try to find names but the ones that came to my mind fitted at a certain point of my owernship and didn't for the whole time they will stay with me. So I gave up and stick to their manufactorer names, which describe them most adequate.

Many or even most people have no interest in motorbikes and besides they've heard of different brands like Honda or Kawasaki, they don't know specific models. If I'm in a mood for explaining something and they show some interest, because they like the looks of my bikes, I become a bit more detailed about what I ride and maybe will compare my them to other bikes, they might have heard of, so they can understand them a bit better.
 
We had a new receptionist start today. From the front counter, she could see me ride up and park, and when I walked into the office, taking off my helmet, she introduced herself, and asked me what kind of motorcycle it is.

I may have been way overestimating things.

My reply was "It's a Honda my dear, and I'm sorry, but I'm taken."
 
How about "Support System for RLETs". That's not cumbersome to say or write at all <rolling eyes>

You know, if you say "RLETs" with an accent from the UK or Australia, it could easily be heard as "Harlots." I'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere.

James Bond rides his motorcycle into a bar.
The bartender asks, "Where'd you get those RLETs, mate?"
Bond replies, "I picked them up on (you fill in the rest.)
 
Don't give up j3gq! It's actually quite a task you've set. That's code for my ticking the I-have-no-idea box.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
We had a new receptionist start today. From the front counter, she could see me ride up and park, and when I walked into the office, taking off my helmet, she introduced herself, and asked me what kind of motorcycle it is.

I may have been way overestimating things.

My reply was "It's a Honda my dear, and I'm sorry, but I'm taken."
That answer was a lost chance !!!
 
I attributed it to the natural swagger that the CB1100 lends it's owner.
 
Back
Top