My DLX factory pipes are too dang quiet!

Rebel73_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I'm not looking for Harley decibels, but dangit, I want to hear SOME rumble! I know there are other exhaust threads out there but there seems to be no definitive answer about options for my DLX.

Are there still no slip-ons available yet for the DLX? Drilling baffles?

What are the best aftermarket 4-2 pipes out there? It would also be nice to get a performance boost as I plan to do the Guhl ECU flash as well.

I'm willing to lose the center-stand. Opinions?
 
I got one! And it's free!:D Keep the factory pipes. After an hour on the road you'll appreciate it much more. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
I got one! And it's free!:D Keep the factory pipes. After an hour on the road you'll appreciate it much more. :thumbsup:
Again, I am not talking about deafening Harley levels, just a nice audible rumble.
I love the look of the factory pipes, just not the (lack of) sound.
 
Doesn't overracing make a set of slip ons for the DLX?
 
Me too Rob, the Standards get all the cool slip-ons. Staintune is not interested because 4 into 2 don't exist in OZ. I would kill for a pair of Yosh RS-3s. I think most are changing the whole exhaust, but I don't want to lose my chrome headers, I don't like the way that the standard headers darken. There was someone on the forum that canableized their muffler, not sure how that worked out.
 
The cat seems to be the noise killer, so after market silencers will most likely do little for you unless you replace the whole system.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Doesn't overracing make a set of slip ons for the DLX?
Ferret, I took a closer look at the Samurider site and found the Over racing slip-ons. I believe it's about 1k for the pair.

I'm gonna take a close look at these. Thanks.
http://www.samurider.com/?p=22318/#itemImage
So I just watched a Youtube video and I like the sound of the Over slip-ons!
The titanium ones will even shed a few lbs.

 
Drill the end plate like I did. Here's the original thread:
Gut Factory Muffler

1e7281ba881901446b37d6fb0dbd8cf1.jpg
 
Thread starter
I think the stainless steel version will retain their shine. I decided against the titanium as the extra cost just isn't worth it to me.
 
Rebel73_imp said:
I think the stainless steel version will retain their shine. I decided against the titanium as the extra cost just isn't worth it to me.
Hey Rob,
I installed these Slip ons last year and am really happy with them..
After 2000 miles, there is a bit of yellow discoloration after the connection to the headers/cat, nothing obvious.
I believe you would like it. gives a nice "bwap" when revving it. no obnoxious for passer by.
I had to block the pair valve air intake inside airbix with silicon to stop back firing.
2 minutes mod.

I hope I helped you spend another grand.
We only live once, treat yourself.

Joel
 
Well, so every rider has his own ideas of the best CB1100.

For me, it's a gentleman's bike and the exhaust is just part of the elegant restraint expressed by this motorcycle. I enjoy riding either really fast or relaxed gliding on this bike, but always without offending others.

Just my opinion, which saves lot of $$$ for me, but may not help in this thread. :D
 
Django_imp said:
Well, so every rider has his own ideas of the best CB1100.

For me, it's a gentleman's bike and the exhaust is just part of the elegant restraint expressed by this motorcycle. I enjoy riding either really fast or relaxed gliding on this bike, but always without offending others.

Just my opinion, which saves lot of $$$ for me, but may not help in this thread. :D
+1
 
Django_imp said:
Well, so every rider has his own ideas of the best CB1100.

For me, it's a gentleman's bike and the exhaust is just part of the elegant restraint expressed by this motorcycle. I enjoy riding either really fast or relaxed gliding on this bike, but always without offending others.

Just my opinion, which saves lot of $$$ for me, but may not help in this thread. :D

It sure doesn't!

It sure doesn't help our twisted minds...
FYI, the over racing is "Japanese dot approved".
Decibel levels well within Us dot standards.
No need for ear plugs.
Prost
 
Thread starter
The sound level based on what I heard in that video are perfect. I certainly don't want to join the ranks of obnoxiously loud Harleys. Yes, it's a nice chunk of change for a couple of mufflers, but it helps complete MY vision of what I want from the CB. I think I'm almost done!

Coming soon:

Guhl ECU flash
Fork Gaiters
Chic Road Comet
Honda type II handlebars
 
Back
Top