My CB got stolen today

Thread starter
So Progressive got back in touch with me today, and much to my surprise they're planning to do a full frame replacement, plus the top triple clamp, ignition cylinder, and seat assembly. I can't believe that didn't total the bike, but apparently the threshold was based on its replacement cost rather than the ~50% of value I was expecting.

Anyways, I know it's a fairly risky operation but I have confidence in my dealer, so hopefully I'll be back up in running in about a month.

Wish me luck!! :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
grover_imp said:
So Progressive got back in touch with me today, and much to my surprise they're planning to do a full frame replacement, plus the top triple clamp, ignition cylinder, and seat assembly. I can't believe that didn't total the bike, but apparently the threshold was based on its replacement cost rather than the ~50% of value I was expecting.

Anyways, I know it's a fairly risky operation but I have confidence in my dealer, so hopefully I'll be back up in running in about a month.

Wish me luck!! :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do wish you luck:thumbsup: Please keep us informed on how it goes.

ralph
 
I'm glad they are going to fix it. I wonder how that works with the serial number? Will they just remove the data plate from the old frame and attach it to the new one? And then there are the stamped in numbers on the frame....hmmm....questions, questions.
 
Great news, Grover. Good luck!
 
I can't believe they aren't giving you a new bike. You do realize that EVERY nut and bolt and EVERY electrical part has to come off.

The bike will be totally disassembled.

I'd be speaking with my insurance agent on this one.
 
I'd almost be worried about the above as well. You're essentially going to end up with a completely handbuilt CB who's quality is determined by the strength of the employees the dealer assigns to building it.

It's awesome that you're getting it back and they're treating you fairly, but it may actually be a case where a replacement (even mint low mileage used one) is worth fighting for. I can't see their being huge saving over this by rebuilding given dealer labour rates.
 
Thread starter
I hear you, having done a frame-up restoration on a '66 Mustang, I'm pretty familiar with how major a surgery this is. That said, I still see this as a faster and cheaper route to getting MY bike back to how it was. The quote for the work is right at $5k, whereas the apparent replacement cost for the bike itself (not including the $1,400 in aftermarket parts) is $7k.

Based on the bikes in my area, with a used one with 2x as many miles running $6700 and a new one running $7500 (both would be +6.25% tax plus BS fees), I'm almost certain to lose a couple grand in exchange going that route, not to mention having to reacquire and reinstall aftermarket parts.

I know the dealer pretty well and I trust them to do a quality job; if they don't, you better believe I'll be up Progressive's a$$.

Call me silly but I'm also more than a little attached to this bike!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
And it's not like it's a restoration of an old bike. Yours is still shiny and new. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
Good luck with it all!
 
I can't believe people are pissing on your good news. I think it's great that you'll get YOUR bike back, a bike you know was taken care of and not have to buy something else and lose money in the process.

Yeah, the bike gets disassembled and rebuilt but if someone can point out that it can go wrong, can't it be at least equally possible that things can go right? And Progressive will be basically warrantying the entire bike so that should give you peace of mind.
 
I agree with having the bike fixed. It won't have a salvage title. I would take some details pictures of the bike before disassembly to compare any discrepancies.
 
I'm with VW and the others and I am both a Progressive agent a Progressive customer who had a claim. They were very fair and spent a lot of money bringing my bike back to the way I wanted it. Sounds like your dealer knows what it's doing, too, so I have no doubt that you will have a satisfactory outcome to this.

Besides...Progressive ain't going to total it unless it's totaled, so arguing the point seems, well, kinda pointless.
 
Oh Geez, I'm not trying to rain on his parade. Forums are for offering opinions and generally helping suggestions. I think he understands that.

All I'm putting out is that we pay so much for insurance, we should get a true return for our investment. There was a time that I would have gone his route, but it is the thing that we can't see that are my concern for him.

I've rebuilt bikes too and that's what scares me...lol.
 
Glad you got her back; it would just devastate me if mine were stolen. Keep us posted on progress. Which dealership do you use?
 
Back
Top