My 'barn find'

veech_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Spent all day on Father's Day riding around yesterday with my buddies. At one point this one car just kept pulling up alongside me and checking out the bike. When we finally came to a stop light they rolled down the window and asked me if it was a 'Barn Find"? I still love the look of surprise on peoples faces when they learn it is a modern bike.

Anyone who actually lived through that era understands the magic of the CB, regardless of what type of bike they ride. Those that didn't just don't understand what the point is (except for those rare few young guys with wisdom beyond their years.)
 
Thread starter
Yeah, I got a kick out of it too. Even after I told them, they said the only thing that gives it away as a modern bike was the fairing (I have a Road Comet 2 on it which I get constant compliments on.) I'd say these bikes have captured the old look quite well.
 
Thread starter
Yes it is! Whenever we get done playing a gig with either my rock band or the church orchestra, we always joke "Fooled them again!"
 
Dang it! It's cool that people think that you were so lucky, but a barn find is one of my ultimate goals. Definitely on my bucket list. It would be like finding a treasure!
 
In another thread I told about just reading a story about a guy from Texas, Russlell something, Reeves I think, that saw an ad on Craigslist that said "1976 SUZUKI GT 550 0 MILES" the ad said the bike never had fuel in it. No picture with the ad and no phone number just an email address. Ends up it had been stored in a crate at Stubbs Suzuki since new, and when the owner passed away it was bought in the estate. Russell ended up buying it, article doesn't say how much, but he got a brand new 40 year old GT 550 that had never been started. How lucky is that?

I also heard about a guy that got a CBX that had been given to a mechanic trade school and then stored for 30 years in some warehouse. Again zero miles. Again, how lucky?

I know a guy that bought a 68 BSA Firebird Scrambler brand new, put a couple hundred miles on it and stuck it in his barn. He still has it, but I asked and he won't sell it. He's old... 73.. he should sell it to a 65 year old pup (me). Actually he's leaving it to his son, along with a bunch of other cool cars and bikes. Lucky kid
 
Thread starter
I think everyone dreams of lucking into a barn find. It's sort of like winning the lottery or something. Unfortunately my life doesn't lead me into exploring too many barns so I will likely have to contend with living vicariously through those lucky ones, although supposedly this one guy has an old bike in his barn with the name Elvis on it... :cool:
 
veech_imp said:
Those look super cool. Aren't they made in India?
Nope, Irbit Russia in the Ural Mountains. same factory for over 60 years. Same tooling too!

Harley, Triumph, Royal Enfield are the ones that I can recall currently being made in India. Probably several more, people need simple reliable transportation.
 
Thread starter
Ah yes, Royal Enfield was the one I was confusing this with. You would think that I wouldn't have made this mistake as I have a Slovick background and even speak Russian! I think I need another cup of coffee...
 
4 Paws_imp said:
veech_imp said:
Those look super cool. Aren't they made in India?
Nope, Irbit Russia in the Ural Mountains. same factory for over 60 years. Same tooling too!

Harley, Triumph, Royal Enfield are the ones that I can recall currently being made in India. Probably several more, people need simple reliable transportation.
I can tell you they have probably replaced the tooling a few times in 60 years. Tooling wears out. The quality would be horrible by now if they didn't.
 
I thought the point about Ural motorcycles is that the tooling is NEVER replaced? :P
 
Cormans, isn't that Royal Enfield? Or just the design? :)
 
Back
Top